2x10 Chainring Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

2x10 Chainring Question

Wanting to buy a bike with a 2x10 and wondering what chainring to consider?

I switched to a compact crank 5 years ago, so I am looking at keeping a similar cadence with a smaller chainring group. I'm not wanting to push a 42 or 44, so I am considering either a 39/26 or 38/24 and running an 11-36 the back.

Question: With the 36 back, is a 24 overkill or could I get by with a 26 on short steep terrain?

"Age is making sure you can keep steady strokes!"

Trail Junkie
    I didn't know there was a 38/24.

For my 26" I run 42/28 which works fine.
    I have tried the 42/28 on a 29er and it isn't bad, but I definitely drop to the 28T much more often than I did on my 26".

I believe the 39/26 is ideal for everything. I don't have my 39T yet, I have a XX 39T to run 39/28, but the ring is on backorder, so I have no experience with it. I do feel that the 39T would defintely work better over the 42 based on my experience w/ the 42T...for me atleast for the 29er application. Definitely go with the 36T outback, it is definitely most appropriate for 2x10 regardless of your chainring combo.

I also mainly deal with short steep climbs and do find the 28T ring to be perfect w/ the 36T outback but since it isn't a native ring combo w/ a 39T..I have to buy the rings seperately to get the ring combos I want

The good thing about this is that if you buy the 39/26, and want a 28T little ring, it is MUCH cheaper to replace and more available than the 39 if you bought a 42/28!

Keep an eye out with Blackspire, they are suppose to be releasing 10 speed rings to work appropriately with the 104/64 BCD which opens up crank options considerably, so that is something to consider before making any purchase.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle43
    Wanting to buy a bike with a 2x10 and wondering what chainring to consider?

I switched to a compact crank 5 years ago, so I am looking at keeping a similar cadence with a smaller chainring group. I'm not wanting to push a 42 or 44, so I am considering either a 39/26 or 38/24 and running an 11-36 the back.

Question: With the 36 back, is a 24 overkill or could I get by with a 26 on short steep terrain?

"Age is making sure you can keep steady strokes!"
    What gearing do you have set up on your 26" bike? It's a simple matter to convert over the gearing for 29" wheels. Gearing depends on your terrain and riding style - the difference between 26x36 and 24x36 is roughly 1.5 gear inches, not a huge difference.

Trail Junkie
    Gear inches are important, but bike weight I feel has some impact. I ride a 23lb. Blur Carbon. It is setup with SRAM 2x10 42/28 and XX 11-36 cassette. There are really only 2 spots in all of the trails I ride that I use the 28T because it is a very very steep switchback and I have to really tuck and load the rear wheel from slipping. It also depends on my energy level and how many miles I have ridden before I hit the climbs, if its early on, I can make it up in the 42T, but usually don't want to simply because there is an increased chance I may gas out or not be able to keep the crank spinning adaquately to the crest.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Great input

Exactly the information I am looking for. The bike is a 29er, so carrying a bit more weight. I'm looking at the Specialized Evo 29er, which comes with a 1x10, so I am looking to make a 2x10, yet the spider is unavailable for months to accomodate a 38x24 (same gearing on Epic Expert), so instead of waiting for Specialized I was thinking of buying the X0 Cranks - which are 39x26.

Trail Junkie
    I don't know which model EVO you are looking at, but a less expensive fix would be the XX Chainrings for the Specialized.

http://www.amazon.com/TruVativ-chain.../dp/B002SR1HAU
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

You know my steez...
    I just got an X0 crankset for my bike to replace a 2X9 conversion on an XT crank.
    I run a 42/28 with an 11-34 on a 26 inch wheeled bike.
    I love the crank, especially the chainrings. The shifting is flawless plus, it just looks awesome. You'll love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2x10 Chainring Question-cimg4033.jpg  

I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

xx Chainrings

Tried going that direction, yet the spider on the Evo cranks is not machined out on the tabs to accept the chainrings...go figure!

Rider and Wrench
    I just did a conversion on my F/S 29er and put an 11-36T 10 speed out back- and have been playing with some gearing up front 2X wise 24T, 26T, 36T etc... here is a link to it in the drivetrain forum- along with a gearing question I had similar to yours- maybe it will help?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=672753

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=669970
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Specialized EVO chainring

Check the spider on your EVO again. My is machined to accept another chainring, for an easy switch to a 2x10. It just has small spacers that are bolted on to make it look like it is not machined out.
    [

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Raceface has some nice 10spd cranks coming out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Great Info

Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver
    I didn't know there was a 38/24.

For my 26" I run 42/28 which works fine.
    I have tried the 42/28 on a 29er and it isn't bad, but I definitely drop to the 28T much more often than I did on my 26".

I believe the 39/26 is ideal for everything. I don't have my 39T yet, I have a XX 39T to run 39/28, but the ring is on backorder, so I have no experience with it. I do feel that the 39T would defintely work better over the 42 based on my experience w/ the 42T...for me atleast for the 29er application. Definitely go with the 36T outback, it is definitely most appropriate for 2x10 regardless of your chainring combo.

I also mainly deal with short steep climbs and do find the 28T ring to be perfect w/ the 36T outback but since it isn't a native ring combo w/ a 39T..I have to buy the rings seperately to get the ring combos I want

The good thing about this is that if you buy the 39/26, and want a 28T little ring, it is MUCH cheaper to replace and more available than the 39 if you bought a 42/28!

Keep an eye out with Blackspire, they are suppose to be releasing 10 speed rings to work appropriately with the 104/64 BCD which opens up crank options considerably, so that is something to consider before making any purchase.
    Great info...thank you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

You may have saved me $

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS
    Check the spider on your EVO again. My is machined to accept another chainring, for an easy switch to a 2x10. It just has small spacers that are bolted on to make it look like it is not machined out.
    Going to the shop today to look at spider - you may have saved me some serious money...thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0