29ers in San Antonio TX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

29ers in San Antonio TX

I will be traveling to San Antonio in early April for my national sales meeting as was wondering if there are any shops that rent 29ers. In addition, what trails would you recommend my coworkers and me riding? Thanks

mtbr member
    try the texas board or http://www.tmbra.org/

I hear Gov't Canyon is nice...

mtbr member

Couple of places

Not from there/don't live there, so I'm sure locals will better inform you, but I can recommend the trails at Tapatio Springs.(just outside of SA) Technical, fun, lots of climbing. They hold a race there every year, and anyone at SA shops should be able to get you there. Also see TMBRA.org to find more details.

Pick up the latest Dirt Rag as well. There's an article about the newly opened Gov't Canyon Trails (i think thats the name)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by grodo
    Not from there/don't live there, so I'm sure locals will better inform you, but I can recommend the trails at Tapatio Springs.(just outside of SA) Technical, fun, lots of climbing. They hold a race there every year, and anyone at SA shops should be able to get you there. Also see TMBRA.org to find more details.

Pick up the latest Dirt Rag as well. There's an article about the newly opened Gov't Canyon Trails (i think thats the name)
    I lived in San Antonio during the mid 90s and had the luck to work on a research project in Government Canyon long before it was open to the public. As a part of the study I got to ride my bike around the park: it's a great area with a lot of potential for trails. I haven't been back for years and imagine that things have changed significantly, but if my early experience is any indication then things out that direction should be some great riding. Also, the little town of Helotes is kinda cool to kick around.

Have a blast!
    Last edited by BigWheeler; 02-14-2006 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member

Where will you be staying?

Quote Originally Posted by TN29'er
    I will be traveling to San Antonio in early April for my national sales meeting as was wondering if there are any shops that rent 29ers. In addition, what trails would you recommend my coworkers and me riding? Thanks
    I'm guessing that you'll be downtown Riverwalk area for a sales conference. Close stuff OP, Mac both are very easy to get to. A little further out (rental car or hook up with locals) Government Canyon ($6 park entry) Madrone Trail.

Some good resources: www.bikemojo.com/speak, www.storm-web.org, www.austinbike.com, www.tmbra.org

As far as shops that have 29ers to rent.... not yet as far as I know. Not many 29ers in SA as far as I know. Try giving the folks at Bike World a yell (www.bikeworld.com) There's also Bicycle Heaven, but they are way up on the north side.

Bring lots of sun block and a camel back. I'm from the East Coast and the sun down here is brutal. See you in April...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Bring lots of sun block and a camel back. I'm from the East Coast and the sun down here is brutal. See you in April...
    And mosquito repellent!!! Obviously when it's dry this isn't a problem, but during a wet spring I remember those things just being unbelievably voracious. Take some in your Camelback and reapply when you stop.

Pedal Damnit

Flat Rock

The trails mentioned are good but they forgot the best place which is Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort Tx. It's about 45 min away and is worth it.

As far as rental I don't know of any.
    Lost in Texaslation

mtbr member

Bugs

Quote Originally Posted by BigWheeler
    And mosquito repellent!!! Obviously when it's dry this isn't a problem, but during a wet spring I remember those things just being unbelievably voracious. Take some in your Camelback and reapply when you stop.
    Man, I don't know how NC and TN are compared to GA, but when I was in Hell (Atlanta) the mosquitos were horrible. I literally couldn't go outside to light the grill w/out being mauled by them... no joking 30-40 within 2-3 minutes.

I've only been in SA for a few months, but have visited here for over a decade and have never had a problem with mosquitos. People here will also tell you it's humid, but again I lived in DC and Hell for over 20 years so it's all relative.

April should be fine if the weather stays the way it's been here all winter. Dry & hot!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Man, I don't know how NC and TN are compared to GA, but when I was in Hell (Atlanta) the mosquitoes were horrible. I literally couldn't go outside to light the grill w/out being mauled by them... no joking 30-40 within 2-3 minutes.

I've only been in SA for a few months, but have visited here for over a decade and have never had a problem with mosquitoes. People here will also tell you it's humid, but again I lived in DC and Hell for over 20 years so it's all relative.

April should be fine if the weather stays the way it's been here all winter. Dry & hot!
    In general I never really found them to be too much of a problem, but when there was a couple days of good rain in the spring or summer they did have the ability to come out in droves. I don't remember them ever being a consistent nuisance (like in NC where I am now), but when the population did explode they were just uncontrollable.

I remember this specifically because of one ride in Government Canyon where I would jump off my bike, do what work I needed to do (I was doing a carnivore population survey of the area) while just getting eaten alive, and then jumping back on the bike and trying to out run the little bastards. Government Canyon does follow a number of water sources that are slow-running with lots of little pools: ideal mosquito conditions.

Don't let this scare you away from the trail -- I think this was just an example of particularly bad timing on my part -- but as it is one of my clear memories of the place I thought I'd pass it on.

I also remember them having a real problem with feral hogs, but I think they were planning on taking care of that (ie, killing them all) before they opened the park to the public, so I doubt it's as much of a problem anymore. Now that I think about it, maybe this effected the mosquito problems: those hawgwallers made perfect breeding grounds.

mtbr member

Government Canyon...

Quote Originally Posted by BigWheeler
    Don't let this scare you away from the trail -- I think this was just an example of particularly bad timing on my part -- but as it is one of my clear memories of the place I thought I'd pass it on.

I also remember them having a real problem with feral hogs, but I think they were planning on taking care of that (ie, killing them all) before they opened the park to the public, so I doubt it's as much of a problem anymore. Now that I think about it, maybe this effected the mosquito problems: those hawgwallers made perfect breeding grounds.
    I don't let it bother me. I ride out there quite a bit since it's opened (see this article,same FatBob) I haven't seen any feral pigs out there, but there has been talk about wild cats of the predatory kind in that area. That and the warbler are big news in that area. I love western NC. The one good part about living in hell was being able to ride at dupont, tsali, pisgah, etc. I really dug haning out in Ashville post ride. Cool little town, good pizza & beer at the Mellow Mushroom post ride can't be beat! Maybe I'll head back East one of these days... or maybe NW, hmmm the possibilities are endless.

Anywho, come visit SA and we'll all go for a ride!

hispanic mechanic

C'mon down!

No one around here rents mountain bikes, let alone 29ers, but I'd be happy to see if I can find you a loaner... what size do you ride, and what are the dates?
    There's an outside chance I might be able to get some demo bikes from Fisher, but it's a bit too soon to bug our rep right now.
    There's some pretty decent riding, as has been mentioned already, and I'd be more than happy to show you guys around.
    Oh, and I might be talked into letting someone ride my Wily.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member

los!

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    No one around here rents mountain bikes, let alone 29ers, but I'd be happy to see if I can find you a loaner... what size do you ride, and what are the dates?
    There's an outside chance I might be able to get some demo bikes from Fisher, but it's a bit too soon to bug our rep right now.
    There's some pretty decent riding, as has been mentioned already, and I'd be more than happy to show you guys around.

the los
    What happened to you over the weekend man? I was expecting to see the Wiley in action at hcsna. I'm still waiting on my small niner, won't have it together this weekend, but maybe next weekend. I smell a 29er ride.

hispanic mechanic

Nope, Gubmint Cheese instead...

What happened to you over the weekend man? I was expecting to see the Wiley in action at hcsna. I'm still waiting on my small niner, won't have it together this weekend, but maybe next weekend. I smell a 29er ride.
    The Mrs. and I had some stuff going on, so we couldn't do an all-day outing, which HCSNA tends to be.
    I think a 29er ride is definitely in the works- especially since 2 of my co-workers now have new 29ers, and 2 more will probably have theirs before too long. Mwahaha!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    [QUOTE=sslos]No one around here rents mountain bikes, let alone 29ers, but I'd be happy to see if I can find you a loaner... what size do you ride, and what are the dates?

We will be there April 3-7 and will be riding on Wednesday. I ride a 19-21" depending on the bike. I am 6'1 with a 34" inseam. I would definately like to try the Wily if it is my size as I am trying to decide between a Wily, Walts and Badger at the present time.

hispanic mechanic

Wily...

[QUOTE=TN29'er]
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos

We will be there April 3-7 and will be riding on Wednesday. I ride a 19-21" depending on the bike. I am 6'1 with a 34" inseam. I would definately like to try the Wily if it is my size as I am trying to decide between a Wily, Walts and Badger at the present time.
    I highly recommend Wily, and I'm happy to let you czech it out. Two caveats- One, it's a bit small for you (17.5" ST, 23.5" TT), as I'm about 5'11", and second, it's fixed.
    If those are o.k. by you, I can let you give her a ride.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    SSLOS,

Would you still be able to rent some guys up with some bikes? We would probably have 6-7 people on the afternoon of April 5th. Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0