29ers for a 6'4" rider- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

29ers for a 6'4" rider

Hey all,

I'm really hoping to hear from some 6'4" riders who ride either an Yeti SB95, transition bandit 29, or norco shinobi.

I'd like to know:
    What size frame do you have?
    Do you feel "in" the bike or "ontop"?
    What do you like about it?
    What do you dislike?
    How heavy is it?

Thanks heaps...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I can't give any advice on those brands, but I am 6'4 and ride a rumblefish . I got the XXL 23 " frame, I like the 23" for climbing but where I ride the trails are usually pretty tight switch backs , steep and rocky for the decents. That being said I would probably go with the 21" frame if I had to do it over again. I do feel in the bike and not on top of it at all, how ever I came from a hardtail 26" bike and that may have something to do with the feel. I think mine weighs in right around 30lbs. Unfortunatly the yeti was not available at the time I bought the rumblefish other wise that would have been at the top of my list. I did look at the Norco but could not get my hands on a XL to test ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    21.5 element 950, I am 6'5'' bikes fits perfect

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'd like to know:
    What size frame do you have?
    Do you feel "in" the bike or "ontop"?
    What do you like about it?
    What do you dislike?
    How heavy is it?
    Salsa El Maricahi XL, seat tube measures just under 24"

"In the bike", but that is a setup issue more than a frame issue if two frame sizes are close; I feel "in the bike" on my 26er too.

The ride and the quick handling (for a 29er)

The EBB

Since I'm running an Alfine IGH the bike is ~30, but would be 28 with derailleurs, 26 SS....
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sat and rode on a 20.5 marin bolinads ridge 29er and im 6'3 and it felt good!

mtbr member
    My Civilian Luddite is a 21" and it feels perfect. (6'5")

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm riding a Stumpjumper Comp Ht in 21". I'm sitting "in" the bike and it feels just perfect (6'4").

mtbr member
    6'4" on a 20" Long Kona Honzo. Feels like the bike was custom made for me in terms of sizing, unlike my last cramped 19.5" Transition TransAM 26er.

29ers for life.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yfz450106 View Post
    I can't give any advice on those brands, but I am 6'4 and ride a rumblefish . I got the XXL 23 " frame, I like the 23" for climbing but where I ride the trails are usually pretty tight switch backs , steep and rocky for the decents. That being said I would probably go with the 21" frame if I had to do it over again. I do feel in the bike and not on top of it at all, how ever I came from a hardtail 26" bike and that may have something to do with the feel. I think mine weighs in right around 30lbs. Unfortunatly the yeti was not available at the time I bought the rumblefish other wise that would have been at the top of my list. I did look at the Norco but could not get my hands on a XL to test ride.
    Wow - that's exactly where I'm at. 6'4" on a 23" XXL 2012 Rumblefish - absolutely love it but yes - if I did it again I'd most likely go for a 21". ... but since I put a reverb dropper post and shorter stem on it I find much easier to hustle around the tighter trails. It seems a pretty tough bike (me at 260lbs) but it ain't no lightweight.

mtbr member
    6-3" and ride a 19" GT Zaskar 9r. I see a lot of local riders on bikes that are way too big. I think some LBS still push huge frames to anyone over 6' tall. I've had guys come into my store, at barely 6' tall, and tell me another shop fit them to a 21 or 22" frame. Ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just came back from a LBS and one shop i sat on a 20.5 inch marin, and he said thats my size but it felt way big..

Another LBS shop i sat on a GT and it was a Medium, and with the right seat position felt fine? Large looks like it ould be pushing it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    6' 3" 220lbs and riding a 21" 2012 Rumblefish Elite

What I can tell you is that bike fits me perfectly and suits my riding style. Only mods are 780mm bar and 60mm stem. Running tubeless. Feels like I'm in the bike. If I could do it all over again I'd pick the same exact bike. No regrets. Weight is around 30lbs but close to 250lbs with rider.

Best way to find the right bike for you is to go to your LBS and ride them. Only you will know which one is best for you. Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    6'6 Scott Scale Elite XL 29er

Feels great to me, but its also my first MTB lol.
    Get on your bike and RIDE

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    6'3" riding a Niner MCR XL frame

Been riding it for 2 years and love it! the only thing I don't like is that is seems like the stand over is pretty high compared to other XL/21" frames I've owned.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm 6'5" on an XL RIP Niner.

I do feel like I'm on top of it more than in it. I have an extra long seat postwith about 9 inches of post above the seat tube. If on a long techy descent I drop it 4 or 5 inches then I feel like I'm in the bike rather than on top of it.

I feel like the bike fits me well, not cramped, or reaching too far for the handle bars. Just a long leg thing.

mtbr member

29ers for a 6'4" rider

I'm 6'4' and have a 37in sleeve length and a 35in inseam. Historically I've preferred bikes with long top tubes and seat tubes in the 21-22in range. The bike I spend most of my time on is a semi-customer Ventana El Rey, which has a 25.4in TT and 21in ST. It fits well, but I've never felt like I sit in the bike. It's a horse. Last year I bought a Vassago Bandersnatch (20in) and it's changing the way I look at both tube length and geometry. The cockpit on the Bandersnatch is tighter, the geometry is steeper, and the bike sits about an inch to and inch and half lower than the El Rey. Most people argue that longer wheelbases have a tendency to position the rider between the wheels, which, of course, is true, but I think overall ride height is equally, if not more, important.
    I personally feel like the fit/position of my Vassago is right on, but the El Rey sees a greater percentage of trail time since a little squish is more comfortable and faster through the roots and rocks where I live on the East coast.

When I replace my El Rey, which is now over six years old, my new frame will hopefully have a lower bottom bracket height (13 vs 13.5), shorter stays, and a TT in the 25in range. Best of luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0