A 29er for the wife?- Mtbr.com
    I like endos

A 29er for the wife?

I just pre-ordered a Redline 29er monocog yesterday (which will be sufficiently bling-ified immediately). Lately my wife has been saying she would like a bike to ride- she is interested in some light mountain as well as commuting and just riding around. However, she is not an experienced cyclist (i.e. I think the last time she put any significant time in on a bike was the fourth grade) and so is not up on the "shifting-thing" at all. Furthermore, she is 5'11"- and so is a perfect candidate for 29er and she is a little scared of balance-related activities which the 29er would help with. I am wondering, and I would appreciate your opinions, if a ss might be the best thing for her- since she really wouldn't know the difference. I work at a shop and can get the Redline for a pretty good price for her, and get it powdercoated a sufficiently girly color.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Recovering couch patato
    She may be a great canditate for a few-gears setup. 4spd on a SS hub, 25% gaps, a gear for each of her types of riding. 1 for tailwaind/road downhills, 1 for typical commuting, 1 for typical relaxed off-roading, 1 for just those nasty climbs.
    As an example, 32t front, and 13-16-20-26 rear. She'll KNOW when it's time to shift. But it won't be an every-second affair at all. Whole commutes won't see a single shift, off-road rides only when she gets fanatic to make some speed on a long flat or downhill.
    I'm convinced of the concept, but also convinced most women can very well learn to shift a gear.

29" seems like the absolute best to try.

mtbr member
    "..."
    Last edited by WillitsBrand.com; 06-15-2006 at 02:50 PM.
    Retired Willits Brand Bicycles Webmaster::
    http://www.willitsbikes.com
    South Austin, Texas ::

mtbr member

A couple of things to consider

I think the monocog would be okay, but is it really a bike that will fit her and make her "want to ride"?

Think about the best thing for her as far as the riding that you honestly believe she will do. Do not forget about fit. Women and men are different and just because you may both be about the same height doesn't mean that you both need the same bike.

Think about the additional maintenance if you are going to do much in the way of tricking it out or bling.

It has been my experience that my wife likes the ability of always being able to pedal comfortably. She is mostly in the middle ring, and she uses all of her cassette, but she has no problem using the granny gear, because "no one likes to push their bikes".

It is very easy to teach people "click one this way to make it easier--and click one that way to make it harder"

I wouldn't even think about a SS bike for a non experienced or enthusiastic cyclist. There are reasons that people buy all those hybrids and comfort bikes.

See what she thinks she will really ride and have her spend some time with some bikes at your shop.see what she thinks she will really ride and have her spend some time with some bikes at your shop.
    just my 2 cents.
    Don't get stuck on stupid!

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by shark67
    I think the monocog would be okay, but is it really a bike that will fit her and make her "want to ride"?

Think about the best thing for her as far as the riding that you honestly believe she will do. Do not forget about fit. Women and men are different and just because you may both be about the same height doesn't mean that you both need the same bike.

Think about the additional maintenance if you are going to do much in the way of tricking it out or bling.

It has been my experience that my wife likes the ability of always being able to pedal comfortably. She is mostly in the middle ring, and she uses all of her cassette, but she has no problem using the granny gear, because "no one likes to push their bikes".

It is very easy to teach people "click one this way to make it easier--and click one that way to make it harder"

I wouldn't even think about a SS bike for a non experienced or enthusiastic cyclist. There are reasons that people buy all those hybrids and comfort bikes.

See what she thinks she will really ride and have her spend some time with some bikes at your shop.see what she thinks she will really ride and have her spend some time with some bikes at your shop.
    just my 2 cents.

Hey come on now we all know what you should really get her....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

mtbr member

exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Law
    Hey come on now we all know what you should really get her....
    well maybe I was thinking something more like these. They are both pretty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't get stuck on stupid!

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    As someone who's been married a while i'll say this...buy her exactly what she wants! She will be more likely to ride it. Do take her on really, really easy trails at first, and DON"T give her any advice she won't want to hear!

I'm also going to buy my wife a monocog when they come out and have it repainted pink, cause thats what she wants...and she will be getting a lighter wheelset, tires, cranks, and probably front shock.
    Last edited by mcd; 02-11-2006 at 02:43 PM.
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

Reviewer/Tester
    I agree 100%. Don't even think about buying her something she does not want, because she will NOT ride it for long, if ever, unless she is happy with it.

No matter how "far out" or off the wall her request is for the bike and it's setup, go with what she wants. You may think that you know better about what is good for her to ride, but believe me, if she doesn't like it, then it won't get ridden much.

Let her choose it. The setup, colour, size, etc..etc..

I speak from personal experience here. Remember, she is a female, and they [usually] have different ideas about what makes a bike "good" than we males do.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Yep. 15 years with my lady has taught me that she wants flat pedals, simple/no gears, no shock, a lady seat, lots of standover, and a short reach. That's why my KM is perfect. Like mcd, a pink paintjob by Wes should seal the deal.

As far as "easy trails", ha!, nice try. How about "no trails". That's more her style. Also, "no expectations" has worked out really well. I'll take what I can get.

-steven
    Retired Willits Brand Bicycles Webmaster::
    http://www.willitsbikes.com
    South Austin, Texas ::

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    that is all fine and dandy unless you married a woman that could care less about biking and only wants the new Taylormade driver for her golf bag. (Serious!)

I bought her a bike, and it collects dust. In fact, the most use it gets is when my brother comes to town and wants to ride, or I want to commute via the train here, I will ride it to the station as it is the cheapest bike we own currently in case someone rips it off.

Yep buy her what she wants so that at least she can't blame you if she doesn't like it. (or at least it makes it a little harder for her to do it, not impossible though)

surlysoul
    I agree with alot of what has been said. As someone who is married and has worked at shops for awhile get her something shel will ride the monocog may be the right bike for her but don't get it just because it is inexpensive. The biggest mistake I see is people buying their wives something cheap to see if she will like riding. If it doesn't fit right she won't. She also won't like riding with you if you zoom ahead on a light weight custom bike and she is trying to ride the same trail on a tank. Thats just my opinion.
    If it fits right and suits your needs the monocog seems like a great deal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

show her this!

just found this today. https://deanusa.com/steel_cruiser.jpg - it's on the "specials" page of the Dean website.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunkie
    just found this today. https://deanusa.com/steel_cruiser.jpg - it's on the "specials" page of the Dean website.
    That bike will be a good buy for someone that doesn't have any toes.

The way I have always seen it is that if you took two"comfort" bikes, one with 700c wheels and a 45c tire and one with 26" wheels with a 52c tire and got someone to ride them with blindfold somehow they would come back wanting the 700c bike as it will be more stable feeling to them, even with the thinner tire. (remember we are not talking hard core offroad here). But if you show them the two bikes side by side they will go for the one that has the higher volume tire 9 times out of 10. So just add a Nano to the 700c and they get the best of both worlds.

My wife has been riding a 29"er since 1999 and there is hardly a ride that goes by that she doesn't say how much she loves her bike. Remember that most of the bikes out there are designed with men in mind though. Hers is a custom job that fits her really well and that was a feature she never had before.

A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    That bike will be a good buy for someone that doesn't have any toes.

First of all, good spot on the toe issue.

Second, what the hell?!?!? Is that an AMP fork? How big of a wheel can you get in there?

Anyway, pretty cool

Members who have read this thread: 0