29er with wide-ish tires (tire clearance question)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

29er with wide-ish tires (tire clearance question)?

I was looking at 29+ hardtails, but I've heard that the bike I was most interested in, the Trek Stache has durability problems (I know a guy who had two frames that cracked...).

So now I'm thinking; what exists in terms of (carbon) 29er hardtails with wide tire clearance (e.g., for 2.6" tires)?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Disregard....posted FS, then saw you were looking at HT's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The Ibis DV9 is designed for 2.6 inch tires.

WillWorkForTrail
    Regarding the Trek, I will say this - if you deal with a shop you know, and a shop that's good - the frame breaking on a Trek should never really be a problem for you. They should replace frames until they run out of them, and then do something different for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I ride a 2017 model year aluminum Stache built up as a rigid single speed (carbon fork). I ride the hell out of this bike. It has 1000's of miles on it. No cracks at welds or strange things going on whatsoever. I know several people on both the carbon and AL frames (these are all set up geared) and again, no problems.

Unless you crash it or bash it will riding (rock strike, tree branch, or something ride-related) Trek will warranty their frames 100% guaranteed. I had a 2012 year Superfly 100 OCLV that broke three times--1 seat tube delamination, and 2 chainstay fractures. All warrantied without hesitation by Trek.

If you want a Stache, I wouldn't let the rumors of fragility be the reason for not getting one. They aren't fragile. The Stache is one of those bikes that just hit the mark, perfectly.

I am not brand loyal. I purchase stuff based on what I like, not who made it. Of course, the stuff has be engineered correctly and made well. The Stache is just that.

Now remember, all equipment, bikes included, have life spans. Nothing lasts forever. If you buy a bike, any bike, made by anyone, constructed out of any material, it will eventually fail. They all do. Trek is a HUGE company with vast resources. They are one of the few manufacturers who will replace seriously old equipment. Most people won't break their stuff. Most won't ride enough to wear it out. Will you?

mtbr member
    The new Specialized Fuse comes stock with 29" x 2.6" tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks like it's only available with an aluminium frame so far (the latest version at least)?

Short-Change-Hero
    What about the RSD Middlechild or Sergeant for aluminum? Carbon may be a bit hard to come by with the fat tire clearance for 29ers. Honestly outside of the stache I can't think of any carbon 29+ hardtails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I must also admit that the Stache is still pretty high on the list. I wish they will update it for 2020 though if there have been frame reliability issues.

On the other hand, I donít know if it has been popular enough...