29er wheels vs. S&S case: does it fit?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29er wheels vs. S&S case: does it fit?

Anyone know for certain? Done a little research and looks like you'd have to deflate and possible unmount tires but this would be minor considering the amount of bike breakdown that's involved. FWIW I'd be considering stuffing my large '08 Sultan with I9s to Flows in the case.

I've done the big bike bag thing for my roadie in the past and wasn't please with TSA "repacked" my gear or with the added baggage fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member

Yes

Hey Skunkty14,

29er wheels will absolutely fit in the S&S case. As you say, deflating or tire removal is required, depending on tire and how much you want to wrestle with packing.

Attached is a picture of Rob English's folding 29er packed in the case (done in the parking area in Fruita after a recent trip; then off to the SLC airport).

More on Rob's bikes http://www.englishcycles.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29er wheels vs. S&S case: does it fit?-58.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm looking at having putting S&S couplers on a 29er (Monocog Flight) and taking it to Europe for a tour in the spring - what are the internal dimensions of the S&S case... I'm trying to get a case that will work for as little as possible. I'm looking at hybridcases.com.

Steve
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    my xl 29er fits in the stock s & s softcase 26 x 26 x 10.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yes, it can be done. Soft case is easier, and I like to carry the fork and bars in a separate duffel bag. I also started taking off the rotors, since they were getting bent every other flight.

mtbr member
    Great to know that it'll work! I was thinking that taking the rotors off makes sense as the extra few minutes to put 'em back on is not that much - since you're re-building the bike anyway.

Now to see if I can get me one of them new Salsa Vaya frames and chop it and re-paint in time for the trip

Thanks for the info!
    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

Members who have read this thread: 0