29er vs 26" Geometry on paper- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

29er vs 26" Geometry on paper

I've got a question for the people who've successfully made the change from 26 to 29 inches.

Here's the situation: I'm ready to order my first 29er (thinking a Giant Anthem X29er). I know from years of 26" experience the range of frame numbers and geometry that suits me best in the little bikes (currently very happy with my Santa Cruz Blur Classsic XL).

My question is this: should I be looking for the same measurements in a 29er frame (in particular the effective top-tube length and wheelbase) that I like in a 26, or is there some quirk of the way that the big wheels handle that I need to take into consideration and compensate for (ie a longer wheelbase because of the taller wheels)?

Related to this, will I need to run a shorter stem to get a similar steering response? (and therefore need a bigger frame to keep the same cockpit length? Or would the longer WB of the bigger size only serve to keep the handling slow? Too many factors to compute....)

On paper (ok, screen) the Giant Large is closest to the Blur XL (Giant is 5mm longer in the TT, 15mm longer in the wheelbase). Am I right to be looking at this size, or is there something that I don't know about the 29er that I need to take into consideration?

Any advice would be appreciated.

transmitter~receiver
    Unless you're going to ride the bike on paper (or screen), I'd strongly recommend that you ride at least a couple of bikes before making any decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Rigid in Evergreen
    I wouldn't get married to a specific brand and model until you've done some demo's.

Members who have read this thread: 0