29er Travel/Shipping Case- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

29er Travel/Shipping Case

What is the best Hard Shell case for a 29 single speed bike
    to ship/travel and or to take on the airplane?
    Thanks

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Most bike cases will work, Thule 699, Trico Ironcase etc. But double-check airline fees before you plan on using it a lot, EG Delta charge $200 each way for a bike case within NA.

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    , EG Delta charge $200 each way for a bike case within NA.
    What a scam! Do Bike Carriers Fly free at Southwest like bags do?
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Does anyone know for sure what travel case will work with 29'ers?
    My "old" Performance travel case will not accomidate the wheels unless I take the tires off the rims...and I am set up tureless with Stans, so it is a big mess to do that. Even letting air out of the tires to allow them to squeeze in will not work as the tire bead will unseat and then there is Stans everywhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The airlines require you to deflate the tires no matter what (might be a regulation). This is why I don't run tubeless on my travel bikes.

Brent D.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBeard Pirate
    What a scam! Do Bike Carriers Fly free at Southwest like bags do?
    Yes and No. If you can get the box under 62 linear inches (length + width + height) and under 50lb, it can fly as luggage. Otherwise, it`s $50. S&S couplers or the like are generally required to get things under 62 inches.

Brent D.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdombrow
    The airlines require you to deflate the tires no matter what (might be a regulation). This is why I don't run tubeless on my travel bikes.

Brent D.
    Me too. I used a Trico case with my XL-sized Fisher Caliber full suspension and it barely fit. I deflated the tubes, took the fork out and the rear derailleur off. I shipped it Fedex because it was cheaper and easier than the airlines.

Alex

mtbr member
    I've flown bikes many times and never had to deflate my tires. Is that something new? Like since last year?

ballbuster
    I would love to find a good cheap solution to this.

Anybody ever hear from Lucky? She was a mountain biker on these boards from Minnesota, IIRC. She few out here to NorCal a couple times for the gathering. I guess she flew a lot for her job, and had a metric boatload of frequent flyer miles.

She had a RacerX (26er) that she wedged into a square hard shell case barely bigger than a 26" wheel with a deflated tire, and like 12 inches thick, IIRC. She unbolted the rear triangle off her bike and folded it all up inside. Easy bolt on, bolt off kinda thing, and it got past the airlines as regular baggage.

I'm going to fly around the country this upcoming year and do a bunch of projects on mil bases. I would love to take my own bike with me instead of renting some thing that may or may not fit me.

Heck, I wonder what it costs to add S&S couplings to a low rent steel frame? I don't know how I feel about taking a blingy bike on an airline. The thing may vanish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyjhsu
    I've flown bikes many times and never had to deflate my tires. Is that something new? Like since last year?
    It's been a requirement since at least 2000. Turning your handlebars and removing your pedals are also requirements. I usually chuckled a little bit at the last two. How else would I get my bike in the box? I think I've forgotten to deflate the tires a few times and nothing happend.

The TSA has consistently been leaving approval notes in my bike bag for the last few years. I'll be deflating my tires for sure. I don't want to give them a reason to put me through extra security checks. Not that I'm going to get my 29er in an S&S bag with air in tires anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Its really not necessary to deflate tyres on a MTB as we generally don't overinflate them like on road bikes where tyre pressures are 60psi or more. The reason is that the cargo area in the plane is depressurised and can lead to tyres bursting. I usually keep my tubeless pressure at 20-30psi when flying as i too have Stans in them. Finding a travel case which fits a large 21 inch 29er is not easy - most cases the wheels do not fit. I am looking at the Evoca bag which has good reviews and have emailed the company to find out if 29inch wheels fit in the wheel bags. Will post more info when I get a reply. These bags only weigh in at 9kg. Hard cases can weigh as much as 13-14kg.

Members who have read this thread: 0