29er tires for cross- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29er tires for cross

The wife put the kibosh on my plans to build up a new cyclocross so I am planning on using my niner air 9 to race this year. I want to put some really fast, low rolling resistance skinnier tires on there.
    So far the candidates are the:
    WTB Vulpine
    Schalwbe Furious Fred (but dang they are spendy)

any other ones I am missing? I am thinking 1.9 or so for width and smoother the better since we we go straight from grass/dirt to snow here in Utah. Not much mud here.

mtbr member
    Ask the local cross riders... you guys have the same diameter rims you know Only consideration is if you have really wide rims, then some cross tires will be too skinny

mtbr member
    May 2007
    why not just run a cyclocross tire? I just picked up my Michelin mud 2's a good allround tire if you are only going to have one. they should work fine on any 29'r rim

mtbr member
    How wide are your rims? I have Stans arches right now and am worried I will pop a bead with the cross tires.

mtbr member
    Arch is ~24mm external IIRC, so anything above like 30c is more than safe enough

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Stan's Raven 2.0. Light and low rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    arches are 19mm internal... you should be fine with any cyclocross tire. I know people use stan's 355 with cx tires tubeless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    not '29er' tires but fast and priced well: ritchey speedmax 40c (or smaller). Pro version for lighter weight.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Geax Barro Race 29er is a super fast roller. It's a 2.0, but the folding bead tire is claimed to weigh in at 450g.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i ran some of these on my bontrager rythyms which i believe are a 28mm wide rims (pretty wide) and they worked great. super fast compared to even pretty skinny mountain tires. and they are stupid cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-REDLINE-.../dp/B000C14PC6

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I used my 29er for some cross races last year and just ran the same tires I did for MTB races. Now looking back I would run a lighter tire like the Kenda Karma, they are fast and have low open knobs, so not the best mud tire, but they shed it well. What I would not do is use a tire so you are limited on the ability to take advantage on being on an MTB and hammer any rough sections.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    not '29er' tires but fast and priced well: ritchey speedmax 40c (or smaller). Pro version for lighter weight.
    Ritchey makes a 40mm kevlar bead Speedmax tire?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you want to go on the fatter end of things, I'd say Bontrager dry-x 29x1.75 (700x44c). I haven't raced cross on them, but I have done two grass/gravel/pavement time-trial like events on them, they're fantastic.

I ahve raced cross on other tires, and for muddy northwest courses I wouldn't want them, but sounds like they might work well for where you're at. Could be a good option if you only have one wheelset and want to just leave the tires on for weekend rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aabbas
    Ritchey makes a 40mm kevlar bead Speedmax tire?
    Nope, just the comp. 35c is the biggest pro/kevlar version I've found and should be more than big enough for cross racing.

RIDE TO LIVE
    I have run Stans 700x35C Ravens with sealant on my 355's for Cross with no issues. Dead reliable setup IMO.

Members who have read this thread: 0