29er Tires- Mtbr.com

Thread: 29er Tires

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

29er Tires

Need a good all mountain tire for my 29er. I run tubeless on Stans Flow rims. Tried Nevegals but they are so wide that they rub my fork (reba race) when I would turn. Any suggestions on a good AM tire with stiff sidewalls?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I run 2.2 Maxxis Ignitors and they are quite good. I can run them at a pretty low psi (20 - 22) and the stick well, even on wet, rooty and rocky stuff. The sidewall is not the stiffest, but it is good nonetheless. They also roll smoothly on the flats.

HTH

Never trust a fart
    WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 (Its actually a 2.35 in width)
    Panaracer Rampage
    Continental Mountain King.

Jan 2010
    our most sold tires are schwalbe racing ralph 29 x 2,25 and conti mountain king 29 x 2,2. they both have enough grip for AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Bontrager tires have a 30 day performance gurantee on them which says if you dont like it, doesnt matter what condition, you can return them for a full refund or try a different tire.. i run the (bontrager) 29-3 or XR1 (depending on what i have in stock) but for freeride i would recomend the FR3 or FR4 tires... it doesnt cost the dealer anything, because we get comped by trek for it. you should give it a try.... if anything, its a free 30 day tire test ride.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosta4038
    Need a good all mountain tire for my 29er. I run tubeless on Stans Flow rims. Tried Nevegals but they are so wide that they rub my fork (reba race) when I would turn. Any suggestions on a good AM tire with stiff sidewalls?
    Whoa - that doesn't sound right. The Nevegal should not be rubbing on the fork when you turn.. This sounds like a wheel issue...... You might want to have the front wheel checked. Or you are getting so much flex which creates the rub. A lot of the tires people are recommending to you in this thread have larger volume and the additional width will only create more rub. I think I would address the dish on the front wheel as well as the flex issue. Is this an older Reba and what is your weight?

BB

mtbr member
    DING< DING< DING, When I read your post this is exactly what I thought as I've run a Nev on a Flow in an older Reba and never had ANY issues like rub. Get your dish checked and hub checked for play. FYI most I've weighed riding this geared up is about 200lbs and on nothing to tech at that weight, but geared normal (about 180-185lbs) on tech no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Whoa - that doesn't sound right. The Nevegal should not be rubbing on the fork when you turn.. This sounds like a wheel issue...... You might want to have the front wheel checked. Or you are getting so much flex which creates the rub. A lot of the tires people are recommending to you in this thread have larger volume and the additional width will only create more rub. I think I would address the dish on the front wheel as well as the flex issue. Is this an older Reba and what is your weight?

BB
    Last edited by LyNx; 01-30-2010 at 04:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I thought about this as well. I am 200 pounds and the fork is a brand new 2009. The wheels I had built up by Mike Curiak out in Colorado on 340 hubs and they are brand new as well. The wheels feel great. I can actually roll the nevegals with my hand into the fork with not much effort and my small blocks that I have back on run great.

Your Best Friend
    OP, I get where you are coming from. My 09 Reba while running a 2.4 Racing Ralph left very little room for error. In hard cornering I could get rubbing on the fork arch. Putting the same tire on the same rim in a Fox was enlightening. Sooooo much extra room there. I don't have an AM tire recommendation so I'll watch this thread to see what you end up with.

rider
    Jan 2005
    I thought about this as well. I am 200 pounds and the fork is a brand new 2009. The wheels I had built up by Mike Curiak out in Colorado on 340 hubs and they are brand new as well. The wheels feel great. I can actually roll the nevegals with my hand into the fork with not much effort and my small blocks that I have back on run great.
    Q/R fork right? If so, I"m fairly sure that we are talking about a clamping force issue. Are you using the usual 5mm DT skewer?
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    True, the Reba has little room for fat tires.
    What spokes are used in your front wheel ?
    CX-Ray tend to be somewhat elastic.
    DT Comp is best in my opinions, though not the lightest.
    And only Shimano and Mavic QR's have sufficient clampforce.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    definitely a wheel issue
    I have ridden flows with nevegals, mk2.4,rampages etc. on both the older reba and the new model. I weigh 225 and never had rub issues. I also ran those tires on Bontrager rhythm elites , same fork no issues

banned
    I would also check the fork legs, we have had at least 3 Rebas in the last year that the drop outs were off, making the wheel sit closer to the arch on the disc side, RockShox warrantied the lowers on them, but still seems to be an issue. Also the HOPE QR's have a great clamp force as well, helping a small bit with flex.

mtbr member

Hope Hum.........

............Personally I can't see that wheelset being built up using QR's I'd think 15mm TA at least if not 20mm upfront and at least 10mm bolt on in the rear. Once again, Pro2s laced to Flows by [email protected] High and never had my Nevs rub, ever. Something is not right with the wheelset, either as said by some strange reason it was built as a QR and there's clamping issues or else there's something else going on there.

BTW, how much do you way Rosta? What bike are these going on? Your profile only says you own a BlurLT2. Also maybe check what Spinning Lizard said, could be something funky with the lowers

Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    Q/R fork right? If so, I"m fairly sure that we are talking about a clamping force issue. Are you using the usual 5mm DT skewer?
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I am 200 pounds and the bike is a Niner Air 9. I am using the QR and they are the new rachetting Dt Swiss skewers. I will try new skewers and see if that helps.

mtbr member
    So they're the QR skewers, not the RWS version? I'm no where near your weight as I said earlier, but I run the 9mm RWS from DT on my Pro2 front and have run the Nev without the issue you describe. Might be a good idea to see if there's a conversion for that hub to take a 9mm solid axle like the RWS or a bolt on.

I am 200 pounds and the bike is a Niner Air 9. I am using the QR and they are the new rachetting Dt Swiss skewers. I will try new skewers and see if that helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0