29er Stout (front) with Race King (rear) - unbalanced?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

29er Stout (front) with Race King (rear) - unbalanced?

Just wondering if anyone has tried a WTB Stout up front with a Race King 2.2 out back? I have a pair of Stouts and am tempted to just go with both front and rear but was wondering about the old adage of "traction up front and less rolling resistance" in the back? If I keep the Race King out back I am guessing it will wash out when compared to the Stout up front but not sure. Any one else do this? If not, what tire to pair with the Stout?

I know a few guys who are much better riders than me who swear by a Rampage/Nano combo.

If it works, it works.

poser Administrator
    I ran a similar set up for a 24hr race with a stout up front and an intense 29er tire in the rear. Intense is a low ramped knob with a smaller casing. It was fine for that use but I wouldn't want to hit anything overly gnarly with it. Either setting up for some nice pinch flat action or a some flat track oversteer. Either way could be scary.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by nepanite
    Just wondering if anyone has tried a WTB Stout up front with a Race King 2.2 out back? I have a pair of Stouts and am tempted to just go with both front and rear but was wondering about the old adage of "traction up front and less rolling resistance" in the back? If I keep the Race King out back I am guessing it will wash out when compared to the Stout up front but not sure. Any one else do this? If not, what tire to pair with the Stout?
    I would run that pair. I have never had a rear tire wash out on any of my 29ers. The RK will have more volume than the Stout, and is an awesome tire in the back, especially on an HT frame. My preference would be to pair it with a MK 2.4 or WW255lt, depending on the trails.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Stout/Crossmark.....there I said it. It works great for me on a HT. I did it on a whim. Over a month now in Norcal Sierra loose, hardpack, loose rocks, granite slabs/boulders. I keep waiting for just one slip on the rear to put something knobbier back on. Sticking like glue so far. I'm old and slow, but I'm clearing stuff, now, I never have in the past.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    I know a few guys who are much better riders than me who swear by a Rampage/Nano combo.

If it works, it works.
    Proven performers, I could see this combo working very well for many folks in many locations.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Keep on Rockin...

Yep...

Where it's especially pertinent is when you are not running suspension - rigid on both ends.

For example I've already run a CX tire out back and a Nevegal up front on my rigid and it felt very balanced. It also suprised me how little rolling resistance was coming from the Never-go up front.

"Grippage" - you need it most - bar far - is up front for cornering traction. Most anywhere else lack of traction can be overcome by technique.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Seems doable to me. I never wash out the rear except when I want to by giving it some english. With your weight planted over the rear tire it usually has loads of traction, esp tubeless.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

Did I catch a niner+?
    I think the combo is pretty solid, but might also want to look at a Mountain King 2.4 (I just started this combo) as a front. The tire can be had for inexpensive, at least I think so, and has solid grip plus light.

pink

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Mtn King 2.4 is skinny for a 2.4. I like the tire but if you're looking for wide, it ain't it.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

Members who have read this thread: 0