29er SS Urban Assault Vehicle: Brakes Needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

29er SS Urban Assault Vehicle: Brakes Needed

Fellow SS 29'ers,
    I recently bought a Windsor Cliff 29.1 and outfitted it with Schwalbe Big Apple 28x2.35 tires. This bike is more fun than a sack full of puppies... Its a blast to cruse around the city, huck suitable urbanage, and generally disrespect any/every obstacle I encounter. My only complaint is the brakes. They BLOW. I was expecting quite an improvement over my early 2000's / super cheap V-brakes (what's the crappiest line Shimano made in 2004? they are it) on my previous steed, but I've really been let down. The bike comes stock with Techtro IO Mechanical Disk Brakes and 160mm rotors. I've got a ton of grip with these tires, but no stopping power. I've set them up, adjusted, fiddled, and done everything short of sacrificing 2 goats and a hen to get the performance up.. but nothing gives.

Is my only option to upgrade to something more respectable? I've looked at the AVID Full Metal Jacket brake cable kits and/or increasing the rotor to 180mm or 203mm. Would these be a waste of money? Should I just save up and upgrade to a hydraulic setup? If so which?

I use the bike for two things: general urban transport, and urban freeriding. By the latter, I mean a bit of trials stuff mixed with general mischief involving jumping up/down obstacles.

I love the feel of highly responsive and very powerful brakes. I'll do V-brakes, disk brakes, or whatever.... but I'm about to the point now where I'm going to start crying a boat anchor to stop myself on this otherwise awesome machine. Any input is much appreciated.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How much do you want to spend?

If not much, start with a BB7 front. They're under 50 bucks at pricepoint last I looked. Then get one for the rear when you can afford to.

mtbr member
    That's what I thought.
    BB7, 185 front, 160 rear.
    And maybe some Avid levers too.
    Better cables can be an improvement, but the Avids work fine with stock cables.

pictures please ?
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's what I thought.
    BB7, 185 front, 160 rear.
    And maybe some Avid levers too.
    Better cables can be an improvement, but the Avids work fine with stock cables.

I have to agree. I had the same brake setup on my Gary Fisher Rig 1x9 conversion and felt that it had plenty stopping power. The only thing that I don't like about BB7's compared to the more expensive Elixir R's that ended up installing was getting off the power.

With the BB7's it's very easy to get on the power but it takes longer to get off the power versus a hydraullic brake.

However in terms of sheer stopping power I think the BB7's are an excellent brake and it's hard to go wrong with them,especially for the money you pay.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything with significantly more stopping power than the BB7's for under $300. The BB7s are very good brakes and a pair of these brakes is well worth $100.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Bb7 185/160

Is dang happy!
    Yep BB7 185/160, tough and cheap to fix.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    BB7's with Avid Speed Dial 7's and better cables / housings.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I love the BB7s.

Almost more than my hydo disc brakes.

BB7s are so easy to work on, reliable, and they stop you quick with plenty of power.

Looks like you have your answer! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks a ton for all your input. It looks like I'll be getting some BB7s soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

nice

I agree with the other replies -BB7s are great. They're not as on/off as some people say, but they do grab pretty fast.

I've actually been thinking about doing the same thing with a cliff 29.1, deadeye or outcast... would make it a fun around town bike, and maybe light trails bike.
    You should post up some pictures

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    PK....how bout a few pics of the bike...? I am still up in the air but am looking at this bike. Am seriously picking up the Nashbar version as it is $350 plus an extra15% till tomorrow. That would make it $336 delived to my door. Just not sure that it is 9 spd compatible....I would like it to be. But the frame looks to be identical to that 29.1.

Will call Nashbar tomorrow.....

Pics please.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    BB7s are the easy button. Cheap, work, etc.

If you want hydro, check online wholesalers for LX or SLX kits on the cheap. Cost more than BB7s for sure, but still not too painful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HalFliP
    Just not sure that it is 9 spd compatible....I would like it to be.
    The nashbar bike comes with a rear derailleur hanger built in to the chain tensioner. It also appears the rear hub is 9speed compatible, but it's difficult to tell for sure from the picture.

Members who have read this thread: 0