29er/SS content in mainstream magazine- Mtbr.com
    Flight Junkie

29er/SS content in mainstream magazine

Just got the Feb-05 Mountain Biking Magazine. In it they compare two fully rigid SS Kelly's. One is a 26er and one is a 29er. Here is some of their synopsis:

"Short cut. All in all we were very impressed with the 29" Kelly, and with how much it differed from the 26". There was a night and day difference in some situations. Although we can't honestly recommend riding a rigid mountain bike regardless of wheel size, if we had to, we'd choose a 29er hands down. Larger 29er wheels are faster through rougher terrain, maintain their momentum better, and reward you with excellent traction through unsightly conditions. Though they have their downsides too, if you are a marathon or endurance cyclist, or just a two-wheeled adventurer who stays away from freeride trails, a 29er"-wheeled bike is certainly worth taking a look at."

Pretty good press I would say. Especially from a magazine that likes to test a lot of big hit and jumping bikes. I know some will take issue with the not riding rigid recommendation though. It was an interesting read.

Recovering couch patato
    Thanks for sharing!
    Well, till a rigid SS 29" bike his every shop, it's perhaps not worth arguing with the rigid statement. And I'll throw in that suspension forks are better for the bizz. Something more to dream about, and buy upgrades to.
    Next time they'll have to test their favorite 3/4" 26 FS vs. the Lenz Leviathan. And then not avoid the FR trails too much.

I want to try a Lev. Someone send me one, please? XL will be fine, thanks.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Flight Junkie
    Yeah, so many of the current magazines are into full suspension, I was surprised that they tested rigid. They do need to do a FS 26 vs a FS 29 test to get more people hooked on 29.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I will hardily agree that 9er susp. forks, a few of them, will help this "movement" expand.
    My 20 mile training ride yesterday helped remind me of that.
    Rigid is rigid.
    Yeah yeah yeah...there is alot of talk about "quick handling" "stiff" "you always know how it's going to react," all of those issues are code for "it doesn't move at all! and every bump in the trail hits you hard!"

CAN'T WAIT for my WB...but, seeing as how they are taking FOREVER, I'd experiment with a Reba for the right price...

Here's hoping for suspension... (up front)

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Rigid is rigid.
    Yeah yeah yeah...there is alot of talk about "quick handling" "stiff" "you always know how it's going to react," all of those issues are code for "it doesn't move at all! and every bump in the trail hits you hard!"
    Straight up!

My "formative" mountain biking years years -- all 11 of them -- were spent on rigid hardtails, and I have zero desire to go back.

It's not that I didn't have fun, but sheesh, the predominant recollection I have of my typical ride is a particular washboard section of trail, and of how numb my hands and sometimes my forearms would be towards the end of the day.

Half way through my 30's, I have infrequent twinges of arthritic pain in my digits, and I'll bet money its not because of my habitual knuckle cracking.

Master of the Obvious

Try an H-Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Straight up!

My "formative" mountain biking years years -- all 11 of them -- were spent on rigid hardtails, and I have zero desire to go back.

It's not that I didn't have fun, but sheesh, the predominant recollection I have of my typical ride is a particular washboard section of trail, and of how numb my hands and sometimes my forearms would be towards the end of the day.

Half way through my 30's, I have infrequent twinges of arthritic pain in my digits, and I'll bet money its not because of my habitual knuckle cracking.
    Now I ride w an H-Bar I don't see a need in my near future for a Sus fork, Just the other day I was riding behind a geary on a climb and noticed his BoB'n as we went upward I also noticed I was passing him but I really was't trying to it's just That SS thing keeping the same rythm and all.

As for a mainstream magazine saying the would'nt recomend rigid over sus, well I can't fault them for that, after all how much do
    RIGID fork Manufacturers spend on advertising ??
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

Occasionally engagedů

Equipment missionaries...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Straight up!

I've never understood the evangelical nature of biking, or sports in general for that matter -- the "I've got to convert you to my equipment" attitude -- maybe it's validation we're after. But for the desire to have a few more tires to chose from (so we need enough numbers to get the tire guys making them), what does it matter to me if anyone else switches to a 29ers? Halfway through my 40's I went back to a rigid fork and have actually designed my new bike around one. But I try and resist the urge to say it's for everyone, because I know it's not. I'll try and save my evangelical efforts to just getting people on bicycles and out of cars -- that's a worthy cause and if successful will probably take care of any equipment needs we have. Bike magazines are about selling equipment (i.e. - advertising revenue) not so much about directly furthering the cause.

Recovering couch patato
    Beware, extremely flashy Euro spandex action below. Look at own risk.

Just to convert Padre to my equipment, yesterday in a fast cross race over semi-frosen normally muddy trails and muchy grass, my KM did not rattle me to bits. The H-bar most certainly take away most of the peak hits from the oh-so rigid KM fork. If I now go Ti on the fork one day, it won't be for the comfort anymore, just for the weight.

SS note : the roadie-brained junior on 26" wheels next to me on the starting grid asked about my tiny front ring. I replied I only use one gear anyway. He asked, but aren't you slow then? Mere seconds later, I spun in the top-3 of the pack, 25mph+.

Back on topic : Testing a sub-3inch FS 29"er like that Lenz, from reviews the plushest of it's class, should open some eyes on how light, fast and plush a 29" can really ride while even looking dead sexy. Someone please just convert your Leviathan to test-spec, spec to impress, and invite some big-mag selfproclaimed cycling gods to you on a ride.

Flashy Euro fat-tire-cross action : (hope it loads)

How much better would that pic have been with Jen's Karate Monkey headtube badge? I'm justifying one more easily by the day.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

giddy up!

Huh...

...I am 90% sure those were the two magazine guys that I rode with in El Moro a while back....great riders and nice guys to boot. They told me they were doing a 29er report for some mag, I just didn't pay attention to which. They had two kellys, both set up with identical specs.....I mean identical, down to the grips.

Good to see the report made it to the mags.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member

any scan possibility?

i dont see that magazine here in sunny scotland...any chance any of youse have access to a scanner and can be bothered....?

(reason i ask kelly frame due in a week or 2...)

Flight Junkie
    No scanner sorry.

Recovering couch patato
    hi-res pic will do just as well :-) ;-)
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski