29er for short people- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

29er for short people

Ok, so I had a Vassago 16" Bandersnatch love it! It was a really smooth ride. I did have to move the seat up to it's max and installed the shortest stem to make the bike comfortable and mimic my 26er bike. my 29 inseam though made standing over the top tube kind of tight. Honestly, I didn't feel comfort that I didn't have any room to move. So wondering if any of you have other bikes that short riders ride and suggest. I do love the Niner but I have to say, my budget can't afford those awesome bikes. I only can dream of them. I rather get a nice steel bike but would consider a alum. since the 29er soften out the ride alot. Please help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Spec SJ HT size 15.5. I'm 5'5 and it fits me perfectly. Very low standover.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    5'2" and a small EMD Niner = great fit and super fun!
    Plenty of stand over to boot!
    Seat on middle of rails mounted to FSA carbon post
    80mm stem
    low rise FSA Carbon light bars

Life is Go0d!
    Another plug for the Redline Monocog Flight. My little woman has the 15. Pictures can be found in the Singlespeed forum. Steel, has the ability to run gears. . if thats your thing.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

WNC Native
    I've done a good bit of searching on frames for my wife (5'6") & mother (5'2") who both have 29" inseams.

As said above:
    Niner EMD - lowest standover of the Niner HTs
    Redline Monocog Flight (also shorter ETT length)
    Plus a couple more:
    Fisher HTs (longer ETT length, but the HTA on the G2 does shorten the cockpit)
    Rocky Mountain HTs
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The 15" Specialized Rockhopper 29ers have a 700mm (28") standover height. The 15.5" 29er Stumpjumper is at 717mm (based on the 2009 catalog).
    Last edited by knoxpossum; 09-15-2009 at 07:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Small Lynskey Pro or Ridgeline has a 28.5" standover

mtbr member
    Misfit Dissent (al) 15.5" frame has are you ready a whopping 24.5" stand over, that's right kiddies and my wife's is set up SS. You can run gears if that's your thing but why would you...
    DSC_4259_1_11_1.JPG

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't realized Niner EMD was much cheaper and in my price range. Thanks also for the pic's which makes it much easier to see what I'm looking for. Anyone has a link to topic like this on MTBR forum?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mattybfat, where did you get the pink MiSSfit???? I know my girlfriend would love that. Especially if it could be a 1x9 (or even 1x8). Was it a custom? I know she would love the sloping top tube since she complains about her Spec's straight top tube. Looks awesome. BTW, would a Lefty fork fit? maybe I could get one in black or raw to replace my Caffeine frame

Relentless forward motion
    5'7"... 29 inseam, Small '09 Salsa Mamasita is great!
    "Racing cyclocross exposes the truth, it's the biggest reason many people do not race it"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nepanite
    Mattybfat, where did you get the pink MiSSfit???? I know my girlfriend would love that. Especially if it could be a 1x9 (or even 1x8). Was it a custom? I know she would love the sloping top tube since she complains about her Spec's straight top tube. Looks awesome. BTW, would a Lefty fork fit? maybe I could get one in black or raw to replace my Caffeine frame
    Peter the evil emperor himself and down right good dude had an order for one to be custom color and decided to get two done and I happen to be inquiring at that time and offered up a sweet deal. IIRC he said that the new ones will be corrected to run a full cog set without chainstay issues, which is great news for folks who want to run gears. Give him a call about the Lefty...

Members who have read this thread: 0