mtbr member

29er Sales should overtake 27.5 in 2019

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/prod...r#.W_q8PThKjIU

Mirrors what I am seeing on trails here in Colorado, way more 29ers recently.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've predicted this for years. They'll never take over DH and I think enduro/AM will remain at least split 50/50, if not favoring 27.5, but most other disciplines have been showing this trend for years. Roll-over is good and maintaining momentum is good. On the downs, having to pedal extra for jumps to not end up short is not good and mass further away from your hub is not good, sometimes this doesn't matter on the downs, but it does not enough to make me step back from 29er enduro back to 27.5. If it was one bike, I'd keep it a 29er and just deal with it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I will never buy a 29er, so I hope there's always something available with smaller wheels for me. As much as I desire speed, I'm 5'5" tall, and no 29er I've ever ridden really ever did anything for me, including the new Stumpjumper and the Santa Cruz Tallboy.

For me, 27.5 has the benefits that 29 has for larger riders.

I'm also surprised that any average sized woman would want to ride a 29er. I've ridden all kinds of them, and even in hardpack conditions, they are not for me. The geometry compromise to fit us on them must just change the experience such that I can't see the benefit.

It surprises me that there's still so much emphasis on wheel size, but I really hope that the market doesn't push bikes toward a wheel size that simply does not work for smaller riders. For me, I'm on the cusp where I could go either way, but for people smaller than me, 622 is not even a realistic option.

If I'd made it to 5'7" or so and could fit on a medium, I'd probably feel much differently about this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I will never buy a 29er, so I hope there's always something available with smaller wheels for me. As much as I desire speed, I'm 5'5" tall, and no 29er I've ever ridden really ever did anything for me, including the new Stumpjumper and the Santa Cruz Tallboy.

I'm also surprised that any average sized woman would want to ride a 29er. I've ridden all kinds of them, and even in hardpack conditions, they are not for me. The geometry compromise to fit us on them must just change the experience such that I can't see the benefit.

It surprises me that there's still so much emphasis on wheel size, but I really hope that the market doesn't push bikes toward a wheel size that simply does not work for smaller riders. For me, I'm on the cusp where I could go either way, but for people smaller than me, 622 is not even a realistic option.

If I'd made it to 5'7" or so and could fit on a medium, I'd probably feel much differently about this.
    No problem. More bikes have geo and room for 27.5+ or 29.
    Shouldn't be that much of a performance difference if you go wide rim wheels and 27.5 x 2.6 or wider tires, depending on your terrain and speed.

mtbr member
    A lot of builders don't offer 29ers in size small which makes sense. I agree that around 5'-5" the fit can not be the best. Most of the super fast women do ride 29ers for XC racing and very few of them are over 5-5" but a race bike fit is a bit different.

Life Is Short
    Buy a Lenz 29er that you can swap down to 27.5 . Enjoy fast singletrack with 27 and put on the 29ers for rides with the old people

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

You could probably jump on a medium Ibis 29r right now and be fine.

Cycologist
    I'm surprised that 27.5s have been outselling 29ers. Seems like I see more 29ers around where I ride. But I just bought a 27.5+ to have something different than my 29er.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Ive wondered about it for a while. While a 27.5 is nice is it really that much different than a 26? IMO no. There is a huge difference going from 26 to a 29er. But not so much going from a 26 to 27.5 or from 27.5 to 29. Three standards was just too much to support. Something was bound to win. Looks its going to be the 29er.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    29/27.5+ is the ticket. Get best of both worlds

27.5 will stay around as said for the Enduro/AM riders and for the brands that do 27.5 wheels for the smaller frames, Trek does this and my son rides a super small frame they make
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Definitely not the best of both worlds. Different tools for different fools, or something like that. Why do people keep feeling the need to justify their personal preferences?

Life Is Short
    Get a 32" wheeled bike and be ahead of the 2019's prediction for 2020's trend
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Is 29x2.6 a thing?

Basically I don't want a full suspension bike so I'm looking for something with a decent amount of grip and cushioning but isn't so laterally squishy.

I've heard that 650b+ is a bit sloppy/squishy when it comes to technical riding.

PS. I mainly ride Smithfield, Australia.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    Is 29x2.6 a thing?
    Yes, make sure the frame will fit it though.

I've heard that 650b+ is a bit sloppy/squishy when it comes to technical riding.
    It's really more about speed. 650b+ handles slow speed tech really well (it's like the rockcrawler of the bike world). They don't handle high speed, hard hits, and hard corners well. That's why you don't see them in the EWS or UCI DH races. I think the effect is even worse when you're a heavier rider. Regular 2.4 trail tires feel too flimsy to me in some situations and plus tires are much worse.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    People ask me what my terrain is but I just ask them to watch the World Cup in Cairns and tell me!

What kind of terrain would you say this is (sorry for noob question)?

https://flowmountainbike.com/feature...hfield-cairns/

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Is 29x2.6 a thing?

Basically I don't want a full suspension bike so I'm looking for something with a decent amount of grip and cushioning but isn't so laterally squishy.

PS. I mainly ride Smithfield, Australia.
    I love my 27.5+ hardtail. Planning on buying a FS bike next year, but undecided if I want 2.6s or plus tires on that. Have not experienced sloppy or squishy at all; I check my tire pressure every time I ride and I have my fork dialed. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    You could probably jump on a medium Ibis 29r right now and be fine.
    I could, but I'd rather slam my nuts in a car door. You all can keep your 29ers. They are for tall people, not for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I love my 27.5+ hardtail. Planning on buying a FS bike next year, but undecided if I want 2.6s or plus tires on that. Have not experienced sloppy or squishy at all; I check my tire pressure every time I ride and I have my fork dialed. YMMV
    That's why I was asking about terrain types. I don't have much dry rocky trails where I live.

I could, but I'd rather slam my nuts in a car door. You all can keep your 29ers. They are for tall people, not for me.
    I'm 6'5" tall and the bike I really like is 27.5 x 2.6. I really wanted a 29er but wondered if the wider tyre makes the diameter closer to a 29 x 2.4.

mtbr member
    People ask me what my terrain is but I just ask them to watch the World Cup in Cairns and tell me!

What kind of terrain would you say this is (sorry for noob question)?

https://flowmountainbike.com/feature...hfield-cairns/
    What's pictured is mostly flow trails but like I said the real problem with plus tires is speed and weight (these are universal factors in tire design across vehicles). You should do come demoing. If they hold WC races near you surely there's enough of a bike scene to have demos available(I could be wrong).

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Some do demos but not in my size really.