29er Rim recommendation please- Mtbr.com
    Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

29er Rim recommendation please

I am new to the world of 29er and i received wonderful recommendation on 29er tires.

Now i need a recommendation on a DT swiss (tubeless ready)29er disc rim. It'll be a cross country/all mountain wheel.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G.
    Now i need a recommendation on a DT swiss (tubeless ready)29er disc rim.
    Guess that narrows it down a bit
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Sorry can't help you Now if you'd just said rim I'd have said STANS, pick whichever suits your style and terrain. I like the Flow for it's minimal weight gain and wider footprint it's width gives tyres.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

AZ
    banned
    Since it has to be DT , I cant recomend the offerings fron Bontrager , who by the way has some very good tubless ready rims .

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    So, DT swiss aren't good 29er rims?

mtbr member
    Why must it be a DT rim?
    Professional Amateur

bike tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G.
    So, DT swiss aren't good 29er rims?
    the 470 has mixed reviews, the tk 7.1 seems a bit better... also mavic tn719 is good.

stans are very popular because they are easier to setup tubeless, most of the times they only need yellow tape, not the rim strips.

if you don't care about tubeless i don't see any problems with the DT tk 7.1 for xc/am stuff.

Former Bike Wrench
    If it has to be DT, then the TK 7.1 or X470 are your only choices...Stans Plus Four rim strips work with them.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    I was under the impression that DT swiss is the BEST. Therefore, i wanted to use that. But it seems that Stans are fairly popular(perfromance related?)

Okay, any recommendations for Stans? I just looked at their website and there is an array of selections. XC riding maybe a little bit of all mountain. I plan on mountain Ardents on this bad boy.

Disgruntled Peccary
    on that wide a tire, I'd go flows (if you're looking at stans rims)... oh wait, I did.. after I taco'd a 470 front
    mike

Rock Gardener
    Sep 2005

DT Swiss TK 7.1

I had a TK 7.1 for 3 months, and tacoed it on what seemed like a very minor crash.

AZ
    banned
    Flows .

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    if i get a couple more flows recommendations. That is what i'll get.

trail rat
    I'd recommend you spend a lot more time browsing the forums, and the FAQs and information to the upper right of the page to educate yourself about 29ers. They are not the same thing, and the products are very different in most cases.

Lesson number two - there is no such thing as "the best"; if there was, there would only be one choice in everything, since we all want "the best". Learn what will be the best choice for your application.

Lesson number three - don't let a bunch of internet yahoos make your choices for you.......
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Flows^Eleventeen
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Flows. How many more recs do you need? :-)

rider
    Jan 2005
    DT has never really made a rim for 29ers. The TK7.1 that they sell is a trekking rim. If they took 29ers seriously, they could easily produce some fine rims.

Went to your profile, Nobel and Demo and AM as your favorite riding. Ok.

So I'm going to suggest that you get some wide rims, as I consider the Flows to be too narrow to be any real fun. The 30mm wide Salsa Semi would be my minimum. The Salsa Gordo and Velocity P35, both are 35mm wide and will make any tire mounted to them have plenty of volume & support the sidewalls better also.

For me, wide rims equal fun. I had a set of Rhyno Lite 36h rimmed wheels for the last few years as my light duty wheelset. They are the same width as the Flows. Every time I put them on my ride I regretted it, no fun I went back to the 38mm wide KH unicycle rims very quickly every time.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    X470s aren't the best tubeless solution. I couldn't get them to hold with Stan's strips or with the DT strips. This was with Hutchinson Toro and Kenda Nevegal.

I would go with a rim that works better tubeless like the Bontrager or Stan's rim. My Rhythm Elite rims have been bomb proof. No burping etc They just work completely trouble free.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have my DT X470's setup tubeless with just the specialized blue tape. Mounted a Maxxis Aspen and a Specialized Captain control just fine.

mtbr member
    Flows dude. For a more budget friendly option go Edge Composites AM's. You will barely have to rob 8 convienience stores for them to fit into the budget. I just knocked down my 5th 7-11 store tonight so I am almost there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rushak
    I have my DT X470's setup tubeless with just the specialized blue tape. Mounted a Maxxis Aspen and a Specialized Captain control just fine.
    You are a minority.

edit: I should say that I got the front wheel to hold, but the rear blew off every time, one time at 60psi quite violently coating my garage and myself with Stan's sealant. Some people have luck with them, most don't. Like everything, YMMV.

Though I have never had a problem with the Bontrager or Stan's rims nor have I ever seen anyone else have a problem with them.
    Last edited by GTR-33; 02-11-2010 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    I have the Flows on two bikes but I am a bit on the heavy side. If you are a lightweight you can prob get away with one of the others depending on the build. You should talk with a builder in your area to get exactly what you want.

Members who have read this thread: 0