29er REQUIRED to be clipless?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29er REQUIRED to be clipless?

i'm interested in a 2008 Stumpjumper comp 29er. i test rode it today with regular sneakers and it had clipless pedals in. I know you're supposed to use the accompanying shoes w/ those pedals but i'm wondering, is it possible to ride w/ regular platform pedals + regular sneakers?

when i was riding, my sneaker toe kept touching the front wheel whenever i turned, i dont really see a way around this, but i'm a noob. maybe someone here can help
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Sneakers will cause you to crash and skin both knees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The cause of the toe overlap may be because you did not have the correct placement of your foot on the pedal. You can put platforms on and ride it as is, but clipless is better.

I miss f88
    there are plenty of people who prefer to use pedals with (like welgos and others) with 5/10 or skate shoes. I personally, however, prefer clipless.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Dinner for wolves
    I ride with flats and Powergrips on my SS Karate Monkey. The fastest descender in my group uses big flats wihtout any retention device. It is what he is used to as a former downhiller and urban rider. I like my set up plenty...it was much cheaper than clipless and allows me to take more chances. Clipless pedals are not obligatory. I have known many riders who rip it up with flats and sneakers. Just make sure to buy some shin guards. As for the toe overlap, pedal choice may not fix that. 650b?
    Responds to gravity

~Disc~Golf~
    "is it possible to ride w/ regular platform pedals + regular sneakers?"
    No,
    29'rs have to be ridden in high-heels
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    No,
    just make sure they are 29er specific high heels

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    I ride with flats and Powergrips on my SS Karate Monkey
    I'm also fan of flats + Powergrips. Although I actually prefer clipless on my ss KM - it seems just a little bit easier to get that extra bit of power when I am desperately trying to crank uphill over rocks and what not. I run flats and PG's on my touring / commuter bike though.

mtbr member
    well it seems that when i was riding with my sneakers on the 29er, (size 15 SJ) my toe would overlap and touch the wheel, how can this be avoided WITHOUT using clipless pedals? where is my foot supposed to be on the pedal? i *think* i normally put the middle of each foot on the pedals
    RH SL Pro

Big Gulps, Alright!
    It's rather common to have poor foot placement when riding clipless pedals and non-clipless shoes. If you put your feet where they should be, it's too easy to slide off. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have poor placement when riding flats.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Yes it is required. I ride clipless but just the other day my buddy got pulled over by the trail patrol and got a good tongue lashing

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by supersize
    Yes it is required. I ride clipless but just the other day my buddy got pulled over by the trail patrol and got a good tongue lashing
    for not using clipless? That's ridiculous.

I call BS.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There are NO requirements while using recreational equipment....everything is optional.
    Use flats or clipless, whatever you prefer.
    Enjoy
    The truth will set you free... But first it will piss you off

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laxman2001

I call BS.
    yes it was a joke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b3ksmith
    There are NO requirements while using recreational equipment....everything is optional.
    Use flats or clipless, whatever you prefer.
    Enjoy
    but with flats, won't your sneakers touch ur front wheel when u turn? thats what happened to me today when riding a 15.5 SJ with sneakers... how can this be avoided?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    well it seems that when i was riding with my sneakers on the 29er, (size 15 SJ) my toe would overlap and touch the wheel, how can this be avoided WITHOUT using clipless pedals? where is my foot supposed to be on the pedal? i *think* i normally put the middle of each foot on the pedals
    Try moving your foot closer to the ball of your foot. If I was to ride that way, am sure I would rub the front tire on 20" frame.

mtbr member
    is the correct way to ride on regular cage/flat pedals to put the ball of your foot on the middle of the pedal?
    RH SL Pro

I miss f88
    is the correct way to ride on regular cage/flat pedals to put the ball of your foot on the middle of the pedal?
    more or less.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    but with flats, won't your sneakers touch ur front wheel when u turn? thats what happened to me today when riding a 15.5 SJ with sneakers... how can this be avoided?
    Are you seriously asking this? Don't have your right foot forward during a sharp left. And vice versa. Pretty darn simple, that. Yes, it requires a modicum of skill. There is practice and technique involved.

Doc, it hurts when I do this....

mtbr member
    Yes, or within a centimeter or two either way anyway. Which is why using clipless pedals or flats with toe clips/cages on them is the best way to ride. Not to mention being able to use your hamstrings when you pedal makes for much more efficient pedaling.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    Are you seriously asking this? Don't have your right foot forward during a sharp left. And vice versa. Pretty darn simple, that. Yes, it requires a modicum of skill. There is practice and technique involved.

Doc, it hurts when I do this....
    the turn wasn't even a sharp left and my sneaker still touched the front tire, and also, what if i was still pedaling while making a sharp-ish turn, wouldn't i still scrape it then? is this not supposed to happen?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    the turn wasn't even a sharp left and my sneaker still touched the front tire, and also, what if i was still pedaling while making a sharp-ish turn, wouldn't i still scrape it then? is this not supposed to happen?
    Are you reading any of the responses?

Your foot was too far forward on the pedal!!

Put the ball of your foot on the pedal, NOT the middle. If you must ride with your clown feet sticking out, you'll have to teach yourself to adjust when you're cranking the bars over.

If you can't do that, then in your case, I'd say that yes, clipless are required to ride a 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

i do it

I use both. I find that clipless helps in climbing, but because I am not as agile as I wish to be, I tend to use platforms on slower technical stuff so that I can put a foot down quickly when needed. Sometimes on slow switchbacks, I can get stuck and will once in a while fall in clipless, something that doesn't happen to me with platform pedals.

mtbr member
    I use platform pedals and Vans checkered slip-ons and they RAWK!!!!

newble
    Jul 2009
    Transition step downs and 5.10 ba5ics. They stick so well when I pulled the front wheel off the ground I didn't get off the pedals and the bike ended up giving me a ride while I was on my back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Obviously the front wheel is too large.O.o is what is needed. try a 20inch front wheel. Also you'll never have to pedal as you'll always be going down hill!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbrain
    Obviously the front wheel is too large.O.o is what is needed. try a 20inch front wheel. Also you'll never have to pedal as you'll always be going down hill!
    some sense please
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Made sense to me. The "O.o" is a picture of the rear wheel and front wheel. He was joking about riding down hill all the time though.

To answer your original question...

No, you do not HAVE to use clipless pedals. But if you don't put the ball of your foot on the middle of the pedal you're going to have toe/wheel overlap issues.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    I rode a rockhopper 29 and had my toes clip the tire a few times. I also looked at a few other 29ers and in my size (17ish) a couple did and a couple didn't do this to me... I wound up with something else, but I did notice the overlap. I don't really find it possible really now and I'm content with that.
    Last edited by 722ish; 09-15-2009 at 01:30 AM.

mtbr member

I call BS.
    Wanna buy a bridge?

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by iSlowpoke
    Wanna buy a bridge?
    And you've lost me.
    I get the first quote as sarcasm now, suspected it, but since louissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss is a complete newb there's little point in wasting it on him.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Definitely helps with climbing and proper foot placement.

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    *Place foot on pedal. If you feel the pressure on the arch of your foot, its too far. As mention, move foot backward and pedal with the balls of your foot (more or less)

*Practice better steering technique. Lift the knee of the direction of your turn. Not only to you avoid a pedal strike during the turn, you weight your tires for better traction (according to Brian Lopes' book).

Just keep at it. You'll figure it out.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    And you've lost me.
    I get the first quote as sarcasm now, suspected it, but since louissssssssssssssssssssssssssssss is a complete newb there's little point in wasting it on him.
    I think one's relative newness to an internet forum doesn't impact whether or not they're familiar with the age old (pre-internet, even) "I have a bridge in brooklyn I'd like to sell you" joke.

On an unrelated note, are you interested in big statues of torch-bearing ladies located in the area of NY, NY? I'm having a fire sale.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    No,
    It looks like somebody is doing it correctly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    It looks like somebody is doing it correctly.
    Why, why must there be a funny photo on the internet for everything?

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron
    Why, why must there be a funny photo on the internet for everything?
    It may be on the internet now, but I took that photo.

Members who have read this thread: 0