29er hardtail...........what are my options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

29er hardtail...........what are my options

So I've realized that I'm out-riding my current bike, an '02 GF Tassajara. I'm tired of dumping money into it for upgrades. I drooled at my LBS tonight and my salesman recommended that I step up to a 29er. I'd like to stay hardtail. He showed me a Fisher HT that was priced at $1099 I think it was the Cobia. Decent components although I would take the Juicy7's off of my current bike to replace the BB5's it comes with. What are my other options? I'm not opposed to another Fisher as my current one has served me very well but I want to do some research first. I see the Motobecanes have a decent reputation here but frankly the low price scares me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you asking what options there are for 29er hardtails around that price point? or are you asking what are your options for 29er hardtails in general?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ..I have a Specialized Rockhopper Comp-Disc 29-er. But it competes more with the Mamba in price & components. I also preferred the more upright position of the Rockhopper.

I know people that recently bought the Giant XTC 29-er for a bigger chunk of change....

then again... maybe demo a 29-er first, before you make up your mind.

Rider and Wrench
    Well you seem to be on the right track and you know how much upgrades can be.... and it seems you have kept your last bike for a good while- With this in mind come up with a budget for your new ride- splurging on the first bike rarely offers the best long term result (though you may well come full circle- which is great as long as you have explored your options)
    So you really need to check out a few different brands/shops and see what the price points are- most manufactures have stuff @ the ~$999, $1199, $1499... etc... and will give and take components but overall offer a similar package-

This will help you form a budget based on what you feel you will need to upgrade...too much and you need to consider the next "upgrade"

Try to focus on the frame and Fork if you plan on upgrading over time as this will give you a nice foundation-

Now go out and have some fun testing....
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    what they said-
    I have found that it is best to take the cash you are thinking about spending on a new ride out as soon as you make up your mind that you are willing to spend $x min.. Put it aside and while you comparison shop, deprive yourself of the everyday niceities that you are accustomed to buying ie. Coffee toGo, Lunch at Work, Beer, Soda, etc. while you shop and bank that money with the original $x.
    Usually I find I can save 10-20% of my target price by the time I exhaust my search for a new bike/pack/gun/tent etc..

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you're unsure about 29ers, why not buy used? You can find some great deals if you're patient.

I especially like the Specialized Rockhopper Disc 29er models because I believe the frame is worth building on. The parts may not be that great but they're a start.

Would definitely recommend getting the wheelset properly done before riding though, whatever bike you get. Most factory built wheels just won't last otherwise.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I rode a lot of 29ers before I made up my mind and wound up with the 2010 cobia. Had a rockhopper for 10 years (26) and wanted to make the jump. I hated the tires, but felt like the frame and fork suited me in terms of geometry best. I also noticed some serious flex in a rockhopper 29 I rode and although I'm sure it's intended it creeped me out enough to jump on the cobia.
    Couple hundred miles and I haven't looked back. Honestly though, nothing I looked at was junk, and one of the defining factors was the service we got at the stores. They all seem great, especially for the price, so I doubt I could have been dissapointed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thank you all for the comments. I am going to demo a couple 29ers from my LBS of choice just to get a feel for them. I am trying to stay right around $1000, that's all that I can justify. I'd love a "nicer" bike but I feel that I can get a decent bike with decent components at that price point (Deore/sram x5 works for me) . I'm 6'1" and only 130lbs.....I'm not hard on stuff. Money is tight recently with my hours at work cut back and we're trying to buy a house now. If it wasn't for me wearing out my current bike I wouldn't even be looking.

The only problem is that the only option my LBS has at this price point is the Cobia. I would like to buy from them but I'm not going to sacrifice the bike I want to do so. They've got plenty of options in 26" and 29er FS but only two options in 29er HT. I know they're willing to work a little bit on the price, swap out components etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smoen81
    Are you asking what options there are for 29er hardtails around that price point?
    Yes, please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It sounds like you can't really swing the extra few hundred dollars, but here's a thought anyway: step up to the X-cal. In my opinon the X-cal is a bit better value than the Cobia; you get a Fox fork, Juicy 3's and full X-7 for an extra $300-400 (not sure how low your LBS will go on the price).
    I'm recommending this because I'm a fan of buying what you want initially rather than upgrading later. To help cover the extra cost you could sell your current bike, or part it out and sell the parts (you might make more money). With the X-cal you would be spending more right now, but would spend less in the future in upgrades. If you live in a rural area where used parts would be hard to sell on craigslist, this might not be the best option; but you could also try ebay.

If you can't spend the extra money, the Cobia is still a really good option. You buy the Cobia, swap the parts you want, then sell your Tassajara; you could probably come away with a really solid 29er (X-5, Juicy 7, Tora) with a total investment of less than $1,000.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I agree, I am going to purchase a X-Cal as soon as a LBS has my size and I can just see/ride one in person. I done a lot of research and it seems like the X-Cal is the better value for the price difference. I agree totally with Lukem. The Fox fork alone I think makes it worth it. I am selling other things on craigslist to cover the cost as well. Here (Philadelphia area) the 2010 X-Cal is selling for $1,450.00 no matter where I go and I called or visited at least 10-15 different LBS's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks again for the replies. I'll see if I can get the extra cash together over the winter and swing for the X-Cal.

What is the difference in the forks? I've not had any problems with the bottom barrel Manitou Six that came on my Tass. Is it one of those "once you ride it you'll understand" type of things?

mtbr member
    If you've been riding an '02 Tassajara for the last 7 years, there's very little chance you'll know the difference in forks. Besides, the upgrade to the Tora fork (assuming that's what is on the one you're looking at) will be huge already.

Personally, I vote for saving your money and going with the Cobia- especially since you can already throw Juicy 7s on there. An x7 or x9 rear derailluer would be nice, but its probably unncessary also. If you want to spend a little more later, do that- but chances are you won't need it. A new wheelset might be nice down the road, but other than that you'll be more than happy.

Look around for used Cobia's also... you can get an '08 or '09 for a lot less than $1100 if you really wanted to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I saw a new Raleigh 29er at the lbs the other day. Steel frame, Juicy's, x-7, and a Tora. WTB speed disc AM rims with stouts. 1099$ I was looking at the Cobia pretty hard last year. I bought a DB Overdrive because of the price. An 09 OD pro would be in your price range in a few months when they go on clearance maybe. I am glad I got the DB. It seems like a lot more bike when I look at the two side by side. Something you may notice though if you ride something other than a Fisher, it seemed to me that the cockpit was smaller on my friends Paragon when I rode it. It seemed like the xl Fisher was too small for me, where the DB xl is more roomy.

Fuji Tahoe also falls in your price range. Sometimes I think I should have got it, but I never rode one.

Members who have read this thread: 0