29er frame choices for short guy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

29er frame choices for short guy

Guys,

Im 5'5'' and have a very short inseam at about 26". Im looking at a new FS purchase in the 2k range and XT spec.................

I have looked into 29ers and the Jamis 650s, but all of the standovers are several inches larger than what I need. I have a 28.8 standover now on my HT and it crushes my "boys" if I stand. If I am on my tippy toes i still touch, but its not painful.

I truly want to get into a 29, but see very few choices small enough, with the exception of some very high end (out of my price range) bikes. I will ride 2-3 days a week for fitness, and have an XT equipped 2006 Jamis hardtail. I cant invest 4-5k in a niner or equivalent. I'm about ready to pull the plug on a 2012 GT Sensor 1.0. Its all XT, has nice Shocks, and is current in technology. There is an XS available for 1800.00. I want to ride in comfort and confidence. I feel this will be a significant improvement over my current setup, but I feel like I am missing out if I dont go 29.

Are there any reasonably priced 29er options out there for the weekend warrior, or should I go with the GT, which has an awesome equipment spec and pricepoint?

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Superlight 29

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm same height, have gt sensor 1.0 and LOVE it, but a about to pull trigger on 29er. My sensor was bought new 6 months ago but is a 2010 bike. Intersted? $1k take it! Paid $2k 6 months ago!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rogsim View Post
    Santa Cruz Superlight 29
    Where do I get one of these? No LBS carry them. Im assuming it would have to be an online purchase.......................are there suggested Santa Cruz dealers?

Little pricey but may be doable if I can find in correct size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Where do you live?
    I agree on the Santa Cruz Superlight 29. The medium frame was surprisingly small and I'm 5'4.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Uno View Post
    Where do you live?
    I agree on the Santa Cruz Superlight 29. The medium frame was surprisingly small and I'm 5'4.
    Virginia.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wtf is that about?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    From the Santa Cruz website:

Bicycle Pro Shop - Alexandria
    3240 Duke St
    Alaxandria, VA 22314
    202 337 0311
    Bicycle Pro Shop - Best Bike Store in the DC area, located in Alexandria & Georgetown

Three Sports
    445 North Ridge Rd
    Richmond, VA 23229
    (804)288-4000

Just The Right Gear
    2265 Catawba Valley Drive
    Salem, VA 24153
    (540)384-7800

If that doesn't work, cambriabike.com carries alot of Santa Cruz frames and bikes. I'm sure there are others as well.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Superlight or a Jet 9 (non RDO), the Jet 9 in a small has a standover height of 27.4 with a 100mm fork
    JET 9
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The niners are way out of my price range. The super light is a stretch but possible. I wonder about the single pivot and marginal components in the rxc package compared to the full xt/fox 32 gt in a 26"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Clemmons View Post
    The niners are way out of my price range. The super light is a stretch but possible. I wonder about the single pivot and marginal components in the rxc package compared to the full xt/fox 32 gt in a 26"
    a 2K price in a FS bike with XT level parts is gonna be very hard to find, you're gonna have to get lucky and a leftover bike. Being only 5'5, I know how hard it is to find a good fitting frame even in a 26. There's a few more options in hardtails and luckily I was only looking for a 29 HT.
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Though I have a 29er myself-I'm 5-10, I did ride a 650B and there was a noticeable difference from a 26. Before you decide, I would suggest you try out a 650B bike.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jet 9 has a lower SO than any of the FS 650 bikes that are out or currently listing geo specs. Specialized also might have some bikes to fit the bill.
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat, beleive me I was very close to pulling the trigger on a small Jet 9 before I decided to stay HT. It's probably your best option.

buy the frame and save up to build it I guess or look for something used

Niner JET 9 Frame

or this:
    Niner JET 9 Complete Bike
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

Your Best Friend
    I wish people would stop shooting bikes around here. It will also be difficult to wash it down a drain. I still recommend buying one instead.

You should also check out a Giant Anthem X29er in XS.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I wish people would stop shooting bikes around here. It will also be difficult to wash it down a drain. I still recommend buying one instead.

Good choice but still 1 inch less standover than the Niner and comparibly priced. When you're short SO dictates your choices while TT length IMO is a better way to fit a bike.
    Last edited by pascale27; 09-22-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    At 26" your options are going to be very limited. I've got a few inches of inseam on you and had a tough time finding something affordable that would work.

I agree that the Superlight 29 should go right to the top of your list. Of all the 29ers I demoed it's the only one that would work for somebody with even a little bit less leg than I have. If the smallest SL 29 doesn't work, you'll probably have to stick with 26" wheels. 650b is no help at this point because the bikes that are available today are mostly geared toward longer travel, not lower standover.

If the idea of riding a "women's bike" doesn't put you off, you might also look at some of the women's specific 29ers like the Trek Lush. Keep in mind that you can't *totally* judge standover from the geometry tables. One manufacturer might measure standover farther from the seat tube than another, so the bike with the higher standover might actually be lower at the critical point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Also, you're not going to hit your price point for a full XT bike unless you limit yourself to brands like GT that are only sold in big chain stores. Your options will open up a lot more if you're willing to compromise on component spec. Expect to pay at least $4000 for a full suspension 29er with full XT from a regular bike shop brand. And even budget components like Deore or x5 perform really well these days.

mtbr member
    If a santa cruz superlight 29 will fit i would highly recommend it! I just got a 2013 sl29 about a month ago and am having a wonderful time riding it!
    An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence. Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Salsa makes a few small bikes such as the El Mar, check them out.

mtbr member
    Standover not as important as top tube length in my opinion. I am 5'5" with a 26 inch inseam and have a turner Sultan 29er which has a lot of standover. IT actually has more standover space than my 26 inch bikes. I know you said hard to find Santa Cruz dealers, but in my mind its imperative to test ride (even for more than a few days) before buying.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Im on Superfly 2012, carbon, its fantastic ! !

banned
    Sep 2012
    FM036 15.5'' full suespension frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Shorty, just get on er and ride!

-from one shorty to another

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post

^^^This, and in your budget. I've not seen an XS yet, but they are great riding bikes.

rpr
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you're willing to go with a buy direct approach, you may want to consider Fezzari.

They will get you close to your price point with XT components, and they generally have lower SO compared to similarly sized frames on other manufacturer's bikes.

The Santa Cruz Superlight 29 in Small has a 27.2" SO.

The Fezzari Hidden Peak XT 29er in a Small has a 26.5" SO.

They can customize if necessary to meet your price point.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm vertically challenged as well, but don't really think much about it...just got a new Spesh FS com carb evoR 29er, ride freakin great! Prob better if it were about 1" shorter, but no biggy!!! I just wanna ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hmmm, would actually be better if "I" were one inch taller, not the bike shorter lol. XS may be way to go, but you said you were 5'5" that should be more then adequate for most smalls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post
    hmmm, would actually be better if "I" were one inch taller, not the bike shorter lol. XS may be way to go, but you said you were 5'5" that should be more then adequate for most smalls.
    XS is gonna have a short TT length. If you're looking for a new bike know the geo of your old bike and try to get a similar length TT.
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    KHS Flagstaff

Beast
    Sep 2012
    I'm .4" taller than the height you listed and the Kona 18 fits me.

locked - time out
    Mar 2012
    I'm a medium sized man and also vote on the tallboy. I was the hardcore 26 inch guy with a background in motocross that proclaimed I would never own a 29er. Being pressured by a salesman, I threw my leg over a tallboy one day with flops and jeans, bunny hopped and cleared a median around 3 to 4 feet with ease, climbed it up a set of steep steps, did a few tight turn tests and decided I was sold. Its a stable, nimble comfortable, cross country, trail bike that lives up to all the hype. Screw the 650b!

I also test rode a Superlight which was also very impressive but once you've had carbon its very hard to go back to aluminum. The VPP was hard to pass up as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm

I feel your pain. I'm 5'5 on a good day, with short legs and a long (for my height) torso and average length arms. Last year, I went through a very expensive experiment getting my new Niner Air 9 Carbon to fit OK, and you'll want to pay attention to some things below:

Head-Tube Angle: If too slack, your front wheel is going to want "flop" in slow corners and require lots of body english to turn. Can be difficult to control. If too steep, you migh have some toe overlap. I would err on the side of accepting some toe overlap for a quicker handling bike.

Axle to Crown Length: Pretty simple stuff here, but I was popping wheelies for awhile with my Niner because the bars were so high (can only bring seat so high before I can't reach the pedals). I slammed the stem and it still wasn't enough. Ended up reducing my fork from a 100 to 80 and buying some extra goodies (-20 degree stem and zero stack stuff) to get it to the lowest position possible.

Still want my front end lower (there is a seat to handlebar RISE), but it is controllable at this point. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ....manufacturers tend to build the smaller frames to avoid toe overlap, which results in a slacker front end that handles slowly.

mtbr member

I am most excited about...

My 2006 Ted Wojcik because it is now ss!. The perfect bike for me just got perfecter!, lol. No it's not a word but it describes my feelings perfectly.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am also just as short and was wondering if the 29er route should be avoided, I am also light weight at around 145 pounds and was wondering if the extra weight would be worth it, as well as fitting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowtko View Post
    I am also just as short and was wondering if the 29er route should be avoided, I am also light weight at around 145 pounds and was wondering if the extra weight would be worth it, as well as fitting.
    HT or FS? If you can find a proper fitting frame your weight shouldn't be an issue. Love my Misfit, rarely ride my Top Fuel.
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

Members who have read this thread: 0