29er Frame Advice????- Mtbr.com
    Caged Animal
    Sep 2007

29er Frame Advice????

II currently ride a 2008 Bianchi SOK 29er Multispeed. This model has horizontal drops so you can run either a geared or single speed. My skewers can't seem to keep the rear tire from shifting so I looked into getting a rear bolt on hub, but they are almost as expensive as a new frame (at least the Chris King variety). I also have an old nagging neck injury in the c6/ c7 area that make shorter effective top tube lengths more comfortable for me. Between the shifting rear tire and lack of complete comfort with the geometry, I’m thinking of getting a new frame. I am 5’10” and weigh about 190 LBS without gear on and I’m pretty rough on my bikes. I mostly ride singletrack in the North East US. I’m considering the following frames to replace the Bianchi in no particular order:
    • Misfit dissent. (I worry if the sliding drops will shift?? The Medium looks like a good ETT length)
    • Voodoo Aizan. (the aluminum could be really harsh, but it has vertical drops. The Medium look good ETT length.)
    • Voodoo Dambala. (I worry the sliding drops could shift? Sizing looks good and I understand steel an be pretty damn smooth?)
    • Niner MCR (It is a bit expensive and the ETT looks long?)
    • Salsa Mamisita (not sure if I’d be small or med, seems a bit expensive, and not sure how tough the carbon stays are?)
    • Salsa Dos Niner (cool concept, not sure how much the 1 inch travel changes things? Also a bit expensive and not sure if I’d be a Med or small?)
    • Vassago Bandersnatch (ETT seems REALLY LONG??? Otherwise, pretty impressive and steel could be smoother than Alum?)

Alternatively, maybe I should get the 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp for ~ $2500 and sell my rig? Perhaps the Salsa Big Mama Frame? Not sure if you even need suspension with a 29er?
    I would appreciate everyone’s thought on this…
    THX!!!

Former Bike Wrench
    Quick note...I believe the "SpeedDisc" hubs are nothing more than Formula (or Joytech) loose ball bearing hubs. If that is the case, you can simply replace the axle with a Wheels Mfg. solid axle for bolt up.

mtbr member
    I've been on this forum for many years and only recently built my first 29" bike. I've been reading and participating on the 29" forum for over a year. I tried a few 29s that I managed to ride at bike festivals or at bike shops but remained unimpressed. After reading a few enthusiastic reviews on the Banshee Paradox, I decided that it was the bike I wanted to buy/build.

I'm about your height at 5' 10˝" and fit perfectly on a medium. It has a 23.2" ETT. A few of the other things I like about this frame is that it has short 16.9" chain stays, is designed for a 120mm. fork and if you wanted, can be fitted with HammerSchmidt cranks. I'd love to get a set but the price is about the same as the frame. It can be built very much as an AM hardtail. I have built mine with Shimano Saint hubs, 20mm. front and a 10mm. thru bolt rear. Unfortunately because of the weather, I haven't ridden it that much but so far I really like it.

Here is a link to my build.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    have you tried using a sliding dropout tensioner like these?
    https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...500_AA280_.jpg

if you like your current setup, they'd be worth a try. I used them on my single speed long ago and liked them, but i'm not sure if your frame has enough horizontal room to accommodate them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BKruahnndon
    have you tried using a sliding dropout tensioner like these?
    https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...500_AA280_.jpg

if you like your current setup, they'd be worth a try. I used them on my single speed long ago and liked them, but i'm not sure if your frame has enough horizontal room to accommodate them.
    That'd be exactly what you need - also, are you using a quality quick release, e.g. shimano, with enough tightness to hold the wheel in?

If you just want a new frame ... I love my mamasita. @ 5'6" i ride a small, try a medium. Oh, and the carbon is fine - I beat the crap out of it w/o complaint.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rvmdmechanic
    That'd be exactly what you need - also, are you using a quality quick release, e.g. shimano, with enough tightness to hold the wheel in?.
    +1 to that. Between my Shimano rear skewer and a tugnutt on my horizontal dropouts I don't have any slipping problems

Caged Animal
    Sep 2007
    Great feedback to everone so far - I really appreciate it!! Keep it coming!

Members who have read this thread: 0