29er fork recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    jmw
    mtbr member

29er fork recommendations?

I'm coming to the realization that rigid front-end riding and my arthritis are not mixing well....riding rigid is becoming more and more painful, and thus I'm in need of a suspension fork again....

Forks have become quite expensive in the last couple years, but I want to get something decent, smooth travel with small bump compliance and a stiff chassis...need 100mm travel, and QR lowers...this will also be on a singlespeed, so I'm not looking for a pogo-stick. I'm picky!

my short list includes:

White Bros Magic 29
    Manitou Minute29 2010
    Rock Shox REBA 29
    Fox F100 29

Prices vary quite a bit on the above, but all are over $600 new!

I've had experience with the REBA 29 only at this point, but was not overly impressed with the stiffness....

thoughts/experiences?

thanks
    future nature

mtbr member
    Reba or Fox.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmw
    but I want to get something decent, smooth travel with small bump compliance and a stiff chassis...need 100mm travel, and QR lowers
    You need to ditch the QR and go 20mm up front. I just switched from a QR Fox 29 100mm fork to a 20mm Reba 29 set at 100mm and it is very stiff. I noticed a huge difference in how solid the front felt after the change.

Depending on the front hub you have, you may be able to use adapters to switch from QR to 20mm. I got the 20mm adapters for my Hope Pro II front hub and have been very satisfied.

Stayin' Puft
    Coming from riding rigid for years, I introduced an F29 RLC into the mix last season. For a singlespeeder, I like this fork since the lockout + blowoff function allows it to feel "almost" like a rigid fork for climbing, with the benefit of absorbing bigger hits. I flip it wide open for known bumpy downhills or extended flats with rocks and chatter.

Since I have several bikes and mix/match parts, I also stayed with the 9mm QR front. My other bikes all have rigid forks, and multiple wheelsets. I use either XT QRs up front which are very solid, or I use the DT 9mm RWS. No issue with lateral flex noticed, some of my rigid forks have more lateral flex than that Fox. Your milage or opinion may vary...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm coming to the realization that rigid front-end riding and my arthritis are not mixing well....riding rigid is becoming more and more painful, and thus I'm in need of a suspension fork again....

Forks have become quite expensive in the last couple years, but I want to get something decent, smooth travel with small bump compliance and a stiff chassis...need 100mm travel, and QR lowers...this will also be on a singlespeed, so I'm not looking for a pogo-stick. I'm picky!

my short list includes:

White Bros Magic 29
    Manitou Minute29 2010
    Rock Shox REBA 29
    Fox F100 29

Prices vary quite a bit on the above, but all are over $600 new!

I've had experience with the REBA 29 only at this point, but was not overly impressed with the stiffness....

thoughts/experiences?

thanks
    While very very expensive (think $1200 or so once fully set up) you may want to take a look at the C'dale Lefty. I'm about to take the plunge as I'm not a big fan of my Reba Team.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyncStar
    While very very expensive (think $1200 or so once fully set up) you may want to take a look at the C'dale Lefty. I'm about to take the plunge as I'm not a big fan of my Reba Team.
    I hear ya on this. If I had the cash I think I would go with lefty as well. It is just a steep price to get there.

jmw
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN
    You need to ditch the QR and go 20mm up
    yeah...I was contemplating this, but then I'd have a bike rack to change, a wheel that I couldn't use, plus the kit to buy....

besides, the flex I noticed more with previous forks seemed to be the wheel moving front to back, not side to side.

If it was an AM thrashin rig, I'd definitely do the 15QR
    future nature

mtbr member
    yeah...I was contemplating this, but then I'd have a bike rack to change, a wheel that I couldn't use, plus the kit to buy....

besides, the flex I noticed more with previous forks seemed to be the wheel moving front to back, not side to side.

If it was an AM thrashin rig, I'd definitely do the 15QR
    I gotcha ya! Just a thought.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN
    You need to ditch the QR and go 20mm up front. I just switched from a QR Fox 29 100mm fork to a 20mm Reba 29 set at 100mm and it is very stiff. I noticed a huge difference in how solid the front felt after the change.

Depending on the front hub you have, you may be able to use adapters to switch from QR to 20mm. I got the 20mm adapters for my Hope Pro II front hub and have been very satisfied.
    X2.........................my 2011 Tora with QR is definitely stiffer than my 2009 Reba with QR, however the Reba is plusher. New Toras no longer have the MC damper, but it can be easily added later at anytime. I bought the MC damper when I bought my new bike, but haven't installed it yet. This Tora steers alot better than the Reba due to added stiffness, but a bigger front axle would help even more.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

Members who have read this thread: 0