29er Fit Advice- Mtbr.com

Thread: 29er Fit Advice

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

29er Fit Advice

Hi,
    First time poster. I race road and cyclocross and ever since I mountain biked last summer in Ireland, I have been itching to get a proper mountain bike. I am looking at a 29er, the technical details about ability to roll over stuff seems to make sense. I have a few questions regarding bike fit and also would like some advice on bikes.

I am 29, weigh 140#s and I have a short torso and long legs (5'11, 35 inch inseam). On the road I usually ride the smallest frame possible (54cm) with a long-ish seatpost and an inclined stem. However it looks like the same doesn't go for mountain bikes? Couple of bikeshops I have been to wanted me to try a 19" bike over a 17" bike since I had a lot of exposed seatpost. Any reason this is not advisable while mountain biking? I figured the bike would handle better and weigh less if it was a size smaller.

The next question is, given my relative inexperience, if I would notice ant particular benefit in getting a 29er? Its subjective I know but I wonder if my body type suits one over the other.

I am looking at either a 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Sport or a 2010 Rockhopper Comp. Any thoughts appreciated. My budget for the bike is around 750.

Thanks in advance.

AZ
    banned
    19/20 inch seems appropriate , my best advice is to ride as many of them as you can to get a feel for them . IMHO the better rolling benefits of the 29 inch wheels outweigh the minimal weight and inertia disadvantage . My two cents , good luck .

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    for a 750 budget, look for used HT, not a new one.

and yes you will notice that 29er rocks over 26er especially in the HT world and your body type doesnt suite one wheel size or another.

concerning fitment
    i hear what you are saying. you are a large in your legs and a medium in your torso, right?
    go with the general rule of thumb on fitment. place the saddle height where your knee is slightly bent at the bottom of your pedal stroke with your foot at about a 15 degrees from the floor. then push your saddle where your knee is over your pedal axle using a plumb bob.
    then next is bars, and where you want them is your preference. at what angle do you want your back? are you flexible? do you want to ride all roadie stretched out style?

all this can be adjusted with raised or flat bars and different stems. personally it sounds like if you get a large, you will have to run a real short stem. maybe you don't want to? sounds like a medium fits you best even if you have more seatpost showing. so what.

i road a medium 29er stumpy HT and i thought it fit me good. i am 5'11" too but with 32" inseam.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the info. AZ.MTNS I am planning on testriding but it's tough to find a shop near the trails.

Hobiesmith, I was thinking the fire aft and kops can be done through a set back post on a 17 inch frame. The 19 inch just feels way more upright than what I am used to. Finding a used 29er on ebay/CL seems to be crapshoot in my budget. Don't know why. I'll keep an eye out though.

rr
    I don't do PC
    You sound like a 'tweener' between M and L sizes, coming off your road and cross bikes any size is gonna feel more upright most likely and would be normal. The L size is gonna allow for a shorter stem and more neutral postion on the bike which will be better on the trails in my opinion, the M will require a longer stem and a more forward bias which might feel right for you with your road/cross background but not as confidence inspiring on the trail.

The M will have better standover but with a 35" inseam the L size should be fine, you really need to test ride tho since your a tweener and it's your first MB

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks rroeder. Test rode I did. I tested a 19" specialized hardrock sport and it felt really uncomfortable around tight corners. Rode like a dream on everything else though. Then I came across a motobecane 17" pro sl on craigslist that was barely used for a good price. Rode that on pavement a little bit, fit felt good enough. Bought it figuring even if I had to change frames I could swap components. Took it to the trail today and it was awesome. Still a wee bit tricky on tight rocks n things but hey it was tricky even with my other bike.

I dunno if I find it awesome because it's a real mtb with good shocks or if it's the twenty niner characteristics but where I used to stop multiple times at tricky downhills and rocky parts of the trail, I stopped only a couple of times today. The ride also felt comfortable and I didn't get the getting bucked off the bike feeling. Next stop clipless pedals. I'm a believer now .
    Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by slimnshady; 08-23-2010 at 04:02 AM.

mtbr member
    I'll throw in my $0.02.......

If I was you I'd as said test ride as many as you can and yes a 29er would be my prefered choice in a HT. As to size, I would err to the larger size and get the advantage of being able to run a much chorter stem maybe and keep your COG further back. A Large would normally come with about a 100mm stem, so you could possibly opt for a 70mm or even shorter.

Don't worry about test riding on the trails, IMHO it's nice but not necessary, especially if you're already a rider and know what you like in terms of feel (even if it's on the road). A parking lot test should give you a decent enough idea on the size thing, just get the shop to throw a shorter stem on the Large when you try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    First time poster huh? i couldnt tell by the awesome thread that you made that has never been discussed before.

Ok go test ride any bike your considering, and any bike in your price range. Find the bike that you like, and fits You the best and buy that bike. Then go and ride. The weight is not going to be enough for you to notice or be able to get any advantage out of. If i told you to go and buy this bike you wouldnt listen anyways. I can't tell you which frame size will fot you better, your lbs will have a very good idea if the biek fits you well but if you feel that the other one fits you better than go with what you think.

Members who have read this thread: 0