Which 29er? Fezzari Wasatch Peak vs. Diamondback Overdrive vs. REI Ponderosa- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Which 29er? Fezzari Wasatch Peak vs. Diamondback Overdrive vs. REI Ponderosa

I've got my search for 29er hardtails down to 3 options for a sub $1,000 bike- any opinions welcome. I'm currently riding a ten year old entry level hardtail 26" REI Novarra bike with Deore components. Looking to ride mostly fire roads in Marin County open space.

Fezzari Wasatch Peak $919
    Wasatch Peak 29er Twenty Niner MTB Tech Specs | Fezzari BikesĀ®

Diamondback Overdrive Comp $899
    Diamondback Overdrive Comp 29er Mountain Bike - 2014 Performance Exclusive - 29er Mountain Bikes

REI Novarra Ponderosa $800 w/ 20% off
    Novara Ponderosa 29er Bike - 2014 at REI.com

I like the idea of the custom fit with Fezzari, the free tuneups offered by Performance (which I've read are so-so), and the cheap price/good components by REI.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Mike
    San Rafael, CA

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Raidon air fork on the Ponderosa and the new aluminum frame make it a decent choice.
    That air fork is mostly maintenance free with a sealed damper.
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 19" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay
    This also has a Raidon fork.
    Good price.

Cactus Cuddler
    If you're riding it enough, and are mechanically capable the free tuneups are worth precisely nothing - all I've gotten from them are the odd free part and some saved convenience on recalled brake components, but I've had to become a competent enough mechanic to not need them, because they're not that great.

The advantage of the two in-person ones are getting to test ride it and make sure the sizing is spot on - other than that the parts spec on the Fezzari/DB Overxrive is better (the fork is the biggest part), otherwise the REI one does have the smarter drivetrain (2x with the 11-36T cassette is impressive). The DB has the best parts on it (Good tires, I prefer Shimano brakes at this price point, decent fork, and mostly good tires for your use), and you can test ride it, although they'll probably come down in price from PerformanceBike on some odd sale from that pointlessly goofy MSRP.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the feedback! Went down to REI as the Ponderosa seemed to be the best value for the money vs components offered- SRAM X7s across the board, 2x10 layout, better crankset, and forks look to be comparable depending on preference. It generally got good reviews here and elsewhere.

Local Marin REI store's $12/hr bike salesdude was predictably crappy. Might try another REI, but I did send an email over to Fezzari to see what they could do with components, so we will see...