mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 29er Enduro race dilemma... Modified Stumpy 2019 or modified Enduro 2019?

Hi guys!

I have a sweet dilemma but a complicated one... If you are not a bike nerd, please continue your way… :P

I just knew I will be racing for specialized this summer. Woot-woot! Ok now, what bike do I chose? For budget reason I think about 2 bikes, the Stump Pro carbon 2019 and the Enduro Elite 2019. Neither of those will be stock on day one, I’m used to modify bikes, doing all the mechanics for 9 years. I'm 6'2'' / 175lbs. I have to pay for the bike, for those who think racing is for free... My name is now Loic Bruni and I will never be.

I actually have a stumpy Elite alu 2016 XL. I upgraded the Pike's airshaft to 160mm(from 140mm), I replaced the shock for a DVO T3 (135mm, didn't bother to remove the shim stack), wheels, etc.

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/me...=261380-170396

Expected setup for the stumpy XL:
    upgrading the fork airshaft to 170mm (from 150mm)
    upgrading the damper to the GRIP2 (instead of the FIT4)
    removing the shim stack in the shock (gaining 15mm of travel, to 155mm)
    upgrading the star ratchet on back wheel
    shorten stem to 35mm
    carbon handlebar 780mm
    upgrading GUIDE RS brake to CODE R

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/en...=227120-154325

Expected setup for the Enduro XL:
    upgrading the fork airshaft to 170mm (from 160mm)
    upgrading the damper to the GRIP2 (instead of the GRIP)
    upgrading the star ratchet on back wheel
    shorten stem to 35mm
    carbon handlebar 780mm
    upgrading the wheel to carbon OR installing cush core

you can compare the geometry:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgh5bwgup0...duro.xlsx?dl=0

That being said:
    - The stumpy is all carbon, even the rear triangle. The enduro rear triangle is alloy.
    - With stump 2016, I can't lower the stem more and my handle height increased of 9mm. I fear the same problem with a stumpy 2019 XL. I would consider a Large for those reasons, because I had to move the saddle a bit to much to the front to use the same setup for XC/Enduro/DH.
    - By removing the shim stack in stump 2019, I fear that the handlebar height will be worse than the 2016 (too high), because of the sag. The choices: Stump Large+170mm/155 or Stump XL+160mm/155 or Stump XL+160/150?
    - The cheapest solution is to go Enduro XL, install cush core and upgrade star ratchet.

The bikes shop is used to do bike setup and they tend to stumpy XL +170/155. My best friend is an epic bike nerd and doesn’t agree with the stump idea, he would go Enduro XL/170mm/cush core.

Ok. What would you do? Please add some word around your advice 

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Another option for you

Stumpy Evo in S3 size
    Throw a 170mm airshaft in the very competent 36 Rhythym fork
    57mm stroke coil shock of your choice for 161mm rear travel
    Throw the NX eagle cassette in the bin, replace with X01
    Cockpit of your choice
    Wheels whilst a bit heavy are not bad at all.

Unless you are a carbon guy, this bike would suit enduro racing so much more.

For reference, My last bike was a Enduro (Large), this year I'm on the S3 evo and I've ridden the regular stumpy in XL quite a bit.

it's all in the Geo. Not what travel figures are on paper. Even the stock evo (150/140mm) felt more capable than the endure first day on the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I had a look at the Evo too and I wasn't sure about pimping the fork... it's already 63.5° at front. Would be insanely slack with 170mm... 62.5? 62.3? The seatpost suck, the time I saw someone last summer.

It would be the first carbon bike I would get and I don't really care about the weight, I'm more caring about the stiffness. I'm interested into trying a full carbon, but I already know it will bing-bing-bing-everywhere a bit more... but... It will stop twisting into berms...

having NX or GX group: don't care, only weight.

I will give it a second thought tonight. Thanks for the thought

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/me...=240795-159451

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincyboy View Post
    I had a look at the Evo too and I wasn't sure about pimping the fork... it's already 63.5° at front. Would be insanely slack with 170mm... 62.5? 62.3? The seatpost suck, the time I saw someone last summer.

It would be the first carbon bike I would get and I don't really care about the weight, I'm more caring about the stiffness. I'm interested into trying a full carbon, but I already know it will bing-bing-bing-everywhere a bit more... but... It will stop twisting into berms...

having NX or GX group: don't care, only weight.

I will give it a second thought tonight. Thanks for the thought

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/me...=240795-159451
    63.2 degrees in high mode at 170mm. Increases bottom bracket height and still corners like it’s on rails.

The xfusion dropper is fantastic. Don’t discount it.