29er Enduro bike - Coming off a Ripmo going to ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

29er Enduro bike - Coming off a Ripmo going to ?

Hi,

So I have owned a Ripmo for some time now and indeed it is a grear allrounder. It started out as a NX build but quickly most things were updated.
    Suspension wise I am running a Topaz T3 and the Fox 36 Performance fork but with a Vorsprung Smash Pot Coil conversion.

By end of the year hopefully my Santa Cruz Tallboy 4 will have arrived and will be my main trail bike. I used to own a TB3 and rode it most of the time over my Ripmo but since selling the TB3 to fund the TB4 build my Ripmo has been my only bike so it has been used for trail, enduro, shuttle runs and park riding.

While it is a good allrounder, given that I will use my TB4 most of the time for general trail riding I am thinking about selling the Ripmo and getting something that is even better when the trail points downward.
    Despite tinkering a lot with the suspension I feel the rear gets hung up on chunky stuff more than I would like. I also wouldn't mind a one degree slacker HA and I don't see that a bit more travel in the rear would hurt.

A weird thing which probably is mainly down to technique is that I have managed to wash out the front wheel several times riding park in sharp / bermed corners. It is as if I don't get / put enough pressure on the front wheel. First I thought it was due to not getting enough lean on the Minion DHF tyres and them being cloggd up, but same thing happened on Hillbilly front tyre. Thing is I don't feel the current size is too large and that I would be sitting over the rear only but feel is of course subjective.

I ride a size large and am 181 cm tall with a 55mm stem.

Bikes I am looking at are:
    - Ripmo AF (coil build)
    - Bird AM9 only allows 150 fork or warranty void which I think sucks
    - Capra AL 29 (but sucks not to have a bottle cage and I think L is on the small side and XL risks to be too much freight train
    - Raaw Madonna - sleek bike but think it has the same "freight train" feel
    - Radon Swoop 29 - lots of bang for the buck but a bit ugly and not sure about 2020 specs

As you can see mainly alloy bikes on the list, as I don't want to spend too much on this "second bike" which would be used for maybe max 15-20 gravity assisted riding + serve as "back-up" when trail bike is out for maintenance.
    I am also considering going for a coil shock to complement the Fox 36 coil I intend to swap over to the new bike.

So far I keep coming back to the Ripmo AF, as overall I really like the Ripmo and think AF seems pretty spot on.

Anyone done a similar journey?

mtbr member
    I sold my Ripmo and got a TB4.I don't regret it one bit. better climber, more efficient, fun, fun bike! but I missed the long travel sometimes. I picked up a Ripmo AF NX build. Perfect compliment to the TB4. Just Demoed a Megtower this weekend. Climbed really well for a big bike. absolute plow on the way down. But not as Fun or nimble as the AF.
    SC Tallboy 4
    ibis Ripmo AF

I live to bike
    You might check out the new Giant Reign 29. Similar to the Ripmo. 146mm rear travel, 160 front (170 on some models). I just built one up. It's an amazing machine!
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Maybe have a look at the Banshee Titan... here is a thread...

https://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bike...a-1115193.html
    Fortune favors the bold

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Checkout the new GT Force 29 too. Good value alloy builds. Any cannondale dealer should be able to get you one too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OperatorBo View Post
    I sold my Ripmo and got a TB4.I don't regret it one bit. better climber, more efficient, fun, fun bike! but I missed the long travel sometimes. I picked up a Ripmo AF NX build. Perfect compliment to the TB4. Just Demoed a Megtower this weekend. Climbed really well for a big bike. absolute plow on the way down. But not as Fun or nimble as the AF.
    Yeah I am seriously contemplating a Ripmo AF with coil. Too bad there are no "real life experiences" of it out yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    You might check out the new Giant Reign 29. Similar to the Ripmo. 146mm rear travel, 160 front (170 on some models). I just built one up. It's an amazing machine!
    The Reign SX looks interesting, just really allergic to pressfit BB and the paintjob is like too often not very nice on Giant. They really need a new designer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Pivot Firebird 29?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I couldn't stand the Ripmo, it rides tall and it didn't do anything for me, I prefer how the Smash rides, but for all these 29er bikes have to offer, I do not consider big wheels when focusing on a bikes performance downhill or in the park.

Wagon wheels are great for covering ground and bridging obstacles, but they simply don't bring much to the table when the going gets big: Bigger wheels mean higher COG, compromised geometry, and weaker wheels.

I'd keep with the plan to get the TB4 as your mid travel 29" do it all bike, then look into a longer travel 27.5 for park and gnar.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I couldn't stand the Ripmo, it rides tall and it didn't do anything for me, I prefer how the Smash rides, but for all these 29er bikes have to offer, I do not consider big wheels when focusing on a bikes performance downhill or in the park.

Wagon wheels are great for covering ground and bridging obstacles, but they simply don't bring much to the table when the going gets big: Bigger wheels mean higher COG, compromised geometry, and weaker wheels.

I'd keep with the plan to get the TB4 as your mid travel 29" do it all bike, then look into a longer travel 27.5 for park and gnar.
    With the BB able to be dropped lower compared to the axles of the wheels than smaller wheeled bikes, it actually improves the handling substantially. CoG doesn't actually change much, since you up with the BB in the same location relative to the ground, and then the seat and bars relative to the BB. (Yes, still a little higher on a 29, since the wheels themselves are taller, but only the weight of the wheels, not the rest of the frame, components or rider, really). It's why a lot of people feel like they ride more "in" a 29er rather than "on" the bike like with the older 26ers.
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i defintely set on 29er. I used to own a 5010 in the past which the Ripmo replaced.
    Yes the 5010 was absolutely a riot, but in the kind of terrain I ride the 29er wheels are superior. I think the "park reference" is a bit different - the park riding I do is lift assisted but the trails I prefer are techy rocky and rooty, I don't ride a lot of well groomed flow trails.

I borrowed a friend's Bird Am9 in large last weekend, definitely too big and a freight train on the downhills. But not very involving to ride.
    Privateer 161 looks interesting but with brexit and extreme 80 degree SA it is a bit too much of a gamble.
    My favorite so far is the Yeti SB150, but it is just too expensive for my liking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If yo dont care about the weight, Ripmo AF looks great, I didn't like peddling the regular Ripmo through chunk, but the progressive linkage and coil should be a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    With the BB able to be dropped lower compared to the axles of the wheels than smaller wheeled bikes, it actually improves the handling substantially. CoG doesn't actually change much, since you up with the BB in the same location relative to the ground, and then the seat and bars relative to the BB. (Yes, still a little higher on a 29, since the wheels themselves are taller, but only the weight of the wheels, not the rest of the frame, components or rider, really). It's why a lot of people feel like they ride more "in" a 29er rather than "on" the bike like with the older 26ers.
    I've been riding 29ers since the early nineties, been there and done that a lot ... SS, FS, Plus.

Anyone with basic math can figure out that larger wheels require changes in geometry to accomodate larger wheels and a larger wheel rides differently, esp when it comes to riding tech and being in control when jumping.

So yeah, I drank the koolaid years ago and for what it's worth, I like 29ers and will always have one, but I also recognize their limitations: big wheels and big travel don't go together.

You can make a long travel 29er ride well, but it'll never match a long travel 27.5/26 for serious gravity. If in doubt, look around at what the pros ride, few are on 29ers, most are on smaller wheels.

I think the market is already rebounding from the long travel 29er craze as evidenced by the large number or short and mid travel 29ers flooding the market.

The "Tell": How often does someone comment on a 29er by saying "see, you can't even tell it's a 29er".

Well of course you can tell, even through the lipstick
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I've been riding 29ers since the early nineties, been there and done that a lot ... SS, FS, Plus.

Anyone with basic math can figure out that larger wheels require changes in geometry to accomodate larger wheels and a larger wheel rides differently, esp when it comes to riding tech and being in control when jumping.

So yeah, I drank the koolaid years ago and for what it's worth, I like 29ers and will always have one, but I also recognize their limitations: big wheels and big travel don't go together.

You can make a long travel 29er ride well, but it'll never match a long travel 27.5/26 for serious gravity. If in doubt, look around at what the pros ride, few are on 29ers, most are on smaller wheels.

I think the market is already rebounding from the long travel 29er craze as evidenced by the large number or short and mid travel 29ers flooding the market.

The "Tell": How often does someone comment on a 29er by saying "see, you can't even tell it's a 29er".

Well of course you can tell, even through the lipstick
    Actually, it seems the market is trending back to long travel 29ers, rather than away. Giant just released the reign 29. Santa Cruz has the Megatower now, not to mention a V10 29er their pros asked for. Many other companies are now offering a 29er with 160mm or more travel.
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Actually, it seems the market is trending back to long travel 29ers, rather than away. Giant just released the reign 29. Santa Cruz has the Megatower now, not to mention a V10 29er their pros asked for. Many other companies are now offering a 29er with 160mm or more travel.
    Yup, and mullet builds are getting popular for short riders and tight cources. It's easier to design a bike around smaller wheels. But once its figured out the 9er seams more popular.