29er or DS for seated climbing very rocky stuff- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

29er or DS for seated climbing very rocky stuff

I want an Mtb for very rocky uphill desert trails. I want it to train and to climb w/o dabbing. Here is the story. I have a 93 bridgestone mb3 with rock shocks mag 21. Old stuff that I've been riding for many years. I moslty ride a roadie but want to ride mtb during the winter.

My problem, is that I am not as light as when I got the bike. I am about 200 lbs. When I climb, I don't care about going fast. I just want to be able to do these long steady and very rocky climbs without unclipping

Right now, the trail will send my bike jumping here and there and I'll have to unclip which I hate.

Once I put a child seat on the bike to carry my grandson. I was ridding with it and the bike was a tank. But it tracked great and I wouldn't unclip ever. So weight is not a concern.

So, I've been thinking of a cheap DS. It is not for jumping or crazy stuff, but to be able to seat and pedal uphill w/o unclipping.

But everyone says 29er with a Tora.

So, for what I want, which is to be able to stay seated going up on very rocky stuff, shall I get a 29er with a Tora fork or a DS with a tora fork and some cheap suspension at back?

There are several DS bikes out there with Tora front, cheap stuff in the back and about 4 inches of travel in the back. Will this setup keep me seated and pedaling up long rocky trails? or will the 29er work better?

Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    29er with a tora with lockout capabilities would be my choice. Dual sus. is better at downhill than uphill.

is buachail foighneach me
    you want dual suspension. whether it has 26" wheels or 29" wheels is up to you.

mtbr member
    I can't say much about the particular bikes your considering, but having gone from 26" to 29" recently, I find the advantage gained from rolling over stuff easier means not only that it takes me less leg energy to do technical climbs, but there's less push back and less deflection to the sides - making the front end easier to control. I find it has greater stability in general, allowing me to go faster or slower with more confidence than on the 26er. I generally negotiate obstacles better. On occasion, I notice that it's not quite as nimble as the 26er. But the overall advantage for rideability still goes to the 29er, in my experience.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    I've riden a DS that climbs as well as my HT 29er but it wasn't cheap. (IBIS Mojo at about $3000+) My experience is limited but I say 29 is the way to go. See if you can demo one and see for yourself.

Members who have read this thread: 0