29er decision time- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

29er decision time

My NRS has cracked. Now I am forced to make the decision on a 29" bike. I was planning on keeping and using the FS 26" and adding a 29" hardtail to the garage. But, with the FS out of commision I must change my decision. I would appriciate any inputs, thanks.

I am a 6'2" fairly aggressive XC 215lb. rider. I do not race, although I was planning on riding the NORBA race in Boerne, TX this year. I wanted to build the 29er for Colorado Trail riding - and keep the FS for more aggressive stuff. I ride a Rohloff hub, but would like to keep SS options open. I think a sliding rear dropout on a hardtail will provide what I want for the Colorado Trail. I think I would like the sliding dropout better than EBB, but I, having no experience with either, am open for suggestion. With the demise of the FS frame, should I go with a FS of the 29" variety?

Options considered for the Hardtail:
    Voodoo Dambala
    Wily Custom
    WaltWorks Custom
    Karate Monkey
    Airborne B29
    Moots YBB

Options considered for FS:
    Leviatan
    Vicious/ Titus

If any Austin, TX area 29" riders would let me take their bike for a ride, I would really appriciate the help.

mtbr member

Re: Sliding Dropouts

I have a Rohloff hub myself with custom sliding dropouts. I like the sliders a lot - rear wheel removal and replacement happens in a matter of seconds.

Of all the frames you mentioned, I think the Wily sliding dropouts look 'delicious'.

mtbr member
    I was at Smithville last weekend - spotted 3 or 4 people on 9ers(suprised me to see that many!) Also for a little trivial info, the guy that won the Torture Test was on a Willets Ti New Sheriff.

Anyway, I forget the new guys shop name(something with a B), but there was one guy on a geared rigid green KM hanging around his trailer looking pretty at home. Maybe call them to see what's up? Maybe the guy frequents often...

I'm most likely going to be at Warda this Saturday - will have my Large SS KM. You're more than welcome to take a spin.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by nmcculloch
    My NRS has cracked. Now I am forced to make the decision on a 29" bike. I was planning on keeping and using the FS 26" and adding a 29" hardtail to the garage. But, with the FS out of commision I must change my decision. I would appriciate any inputs, thanks.

I am a 6'2" fairly aggressive XC 215lb. rider. I do not race, although I was planning on riding the NORBA race in Boerne, TX this year. I wanted to build the 29er for Colorado Trail riding - and keep the FS for more aggressive stuff. I ride a Rohloff hub, but would like to keep SS options open. I think a sliding rear dropout on a hardtail will provide what I want for the Colorado Trail. I think I would like the sliding dropout better than EBB, but I, having no experience with either, am open for suggestion. With the demise of the FS frame, should I go with a FS of the 29" variety?

Options considered for the Hardtail:
    Voodoo Dambala
    Wily Custom
    WaltWorks Custom
    Karate Monkey
    Airborne B29
    Moots YBB

Options considered for FS:
    Leviatan
    Vicious/ Titus

If any Austin, TX area 29" riders would let me take their bike for a ride, I would really appriciate the help.
    Why can't you warranty the NRS and continue as planned with the 29" HT??

It seems folks prefer an EBB if they run a rear disc brake.

At 6'2", keeping an NRS for more aggressive stuff makes little sense. Perhaps if it was a 5 Spot or Stinky I'd feel differently. Any of your hardtail choices with an 80mm fork and a Thudbuster would likely provide nearly similar seated comfort while rolling over bigger hits easier due to the wheel size. Remove the Thud for Colorodo an put it on for TX.

Your desire to run the Rolhoff and keeping the SS option open makes me think you should go the hardtail route. This is coming from someone with both a B-29 and an RX 29"er. Also, you will surely buy a new bike at some point in the future, and the fs options may be more numerous at that point.

Perhaps you should start a new Thread asking for an Austin demo??

jl
    climb
    My NRS has cracked. Now I am forced to make the decision on a 29" bike. I was planning on keeping and using the FS 26" and adding a 29" hardtail to the garage. But, with the FS out of commision I must change my decision.
    Don't think add--think replace. Once you're on the bigwheels, you won't want to ride a bike with small wheels.

I would appriciate any inputs, thanks.

If you want to run SS/Rohloff and have the option for disc brakes--go EBB. Steel Hardtail EBB.

I wouldn't hesitate to race this bike. I'll bet you $$ you'll be faster on a 29er HT than on the NRS. IMO the NRS does not conjur up images of more aggressive when compared to a HT, especially a 29er HT.

Then you can start shopping for the FS 29er.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member

Wily? Waltworks?

Would you trust a builder that's never even lived in Austin, and has probably never experienced the joy of Flat Creek?!

I dunno ... ; P