29er Decision...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm 29er Decision...

Hey guys.
    I've been racing Mountain Bikes for a little while now, but have never touched a 29er. I've decided to renew my mountain bike and upgrade to a 29er full carbon hard-tail... but I need your help.
    You are likely sick to death of comparison questions, but I only have this one shot to make the right decision on a pretty big purchase/expense. The two that I'm torn between are:

2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3
    (http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...-CARBON-29ER-3)

or the 2011 Scott Scale Pro 29er.
    (http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/pr...0/55509/217950)

I'm a big pro on the Cannondale having 2x10 over the 3x10 on the Scott, but I like the look of the Scott a lot better than the Cannondale.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

DroppinScience

get down!
    Cannondale for sure
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Your Best Friend
    I have ridden the 2010 Cannondale Flash 1 extensively and I just bought the 2011 Scott Scale RC.

The frames will both absorb trail chatter essentially the same. They were designed by the same guy IIRC. The Flash is super smooth on the trail and is very quick. Because I haven't ridden my Scale outside, I can only assume that it will steer a bit slower, which is my hope. The HA is slacker and should help with stability on longer races. I like that the Scott places the rear brake inside the stays. This takes braking forces off the seat stay, keeping it free to damp trail chatter a bit better. You are right, the Scott's are beautiful.

You need to decide on super quick handling or stable handling. Neither of the bikes will ride very different in other areas. Don't think that either bike isn't quick or stable just because of the different HA's. They are just slightly more suited to one than the other.

After that it comes down to the component choices, obviously.

And of course, you should get out and ride them both, if possible.

mtbr member
    either bike would do the job, check both out on which one you like?

mtbr member
    Bikes are like art..... No matter how well it rides if you don't like the looks of it you will keep shopping till you find one you do. Buy what you like, beat it till you need a new one, find another one you like and repeat! The more times you repeat this drill the happier you will be.
    Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!

mtbr member
    I'd go Cannondale, just because of the Lefty... far superior to conventional forks. I converted my Ibis to a Lefty. Whole nother world... and on a hardtail it probably would make even more of a difference.
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by DropinScience
    Hey guys.
    I've been racing Mountain Bikes for a little while now, but have never touched a 29er. I've decided to renew my mountain bike and upgrade to a 29er full carbon hard-tail... but I need your help.
    You are likely sick to death of comparison questions, but I only have this one shot to make the right decision on a pretty big purchase/expense. The two that I'm torn between are:

2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3
    (http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...-CARBON-29ER-3)

or the 2011 Scott Scale Pro 29er.
    (http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/pr...0/55509/217950)

I'm a big pro on the Cannondale having 2x10 over the 3x10 on the Scott, but I like the look of the Scott a lot better than the Cannondale.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

DroppinScience
    2 good bikes you are considering, no doubt about it.

As most have been responding, really the only major difference comes in the fork. A lot of the same components or types being thrown on both bikes you are looking at, so you need to dig deeper to what may be more important.

You ought to also take a close look at the wheelbuilds of both. The wheels (and the tires you put on them) are going to be your bread and butter for XC racing on a 29"er. As you said, when you are dropping some coin on a big purchase, you want to do it right. So I suggest you should determine if you will or will not be running tubeless and how both of these rims actually work for tubeless XC set ups. One (Flash) is the Sun EQ25 rim and the other (Scale) is DT Swiss 485d rim. Hub wise, the Scale uses a DT Swiss 370 rear hub and the Flash uses a SRAM X.9 rear hub. Others can comment, but I would say the DT Swiss hub would be the standout of the those 2.

Tires?

Racing Ralphs on the Flash
    Rocket Rons on the Scale

Weight?

This thread claims the top end Cannondale Flash 1 weighs 24.3 lbs with pedals for the size medium. The Scale Pro should be around 23.79 lbs - so weight wise, things are about a wash.

Price?

$2699 MSRP for the Scale
    $2999 MSRP for the Flash 3

Anyway, just work your way through what each bike offers and how you will use it (tubed/tubeless). Both forks are favorites of many. Frames are a wash, but I would focus on those wheels.

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    I would at least try a 29er before dumping cash. I test rode one yesterday on our annual New Years day ride. An 18 mile lake loop with lots of ups and downs tight turns constant speed changes. I demoed a Stumpjumper 29er. To be honest I dont see any benefits to the 29 inch wheel. Especially on that trail. I found my self putting more effort into keeping the big wheels going. It just felt like I was pushing bigger wheels. The whole "momentum" thing doesnt work when you have constant grade and speed changes. 26 inch wheels are snappier and respond to power input quicker. I found my self dropping into granny constantly when I hardly ever use granny on my 26. I know its just one ride on one trail. Unless your particular trails warrant a 29er I would stick to 26 as it is more versatile in every trail situation. You will not be limited by the 29ers shortcomings. I wanted to like the 29er. But at this point I am not drinking the kool aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sofarider1
    I would stick to 26 as it is more versatile in every trail situation. You will not be limited by the 29ers shortcomings. I wanted to like the 29er. But at this point I am not drinking the kool aid.

For all the reasons you feel your 26" wheeled bike is superior, you should try a 24" wheeled bike.
    Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

+1 I am So With Your Opinon on 29er.......

I would at least try a 29er before dumping cash. I test rode one yesterday on our annual New Years day ride. An 18 mile lake loop with lots of ups and downs tight turns constant speed changes. I demoed a Stumpjumper 29er. To be honest I dont see any benefits to the 29 inch wheel. Especially on that trail. I found my self putting more effort into keeping the big wheels going. It just felt like I was pushing bigger wheels. The whole "momentum" thing doesnt work when you have constant grade and speed changes. 26 inch wheels are snappier and respond to power input quicker. I found my self dropping into granny constantly when I hardly ever use granny on my 26. I know its just one ride on one trail. Unless your particular trails warrant a 29er I would stick to 26 as it is more versatile in every trail situation. You will not be limited by the 29ers shortcomings. I wanted to like the 29er. But at this point I am not drinking the kool aid.
    Well stated. I feel the same way about the whole 29er thing....and yes I know this is a 29er forum.

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by justonegear
    For all the reasons you feel your 26" wheeled bike is superior, you should try a 24" wheeled bike.
    I knew my comment would instigate. Not that I'm trolling. I am just speaking from my experiences. The OP states he will be racing. I think the 29er will limit him overall. If you are racing you want to be as versatile as possible. Unless all his races include mainly fireroad riding I think the 29er will limit him. BTW. I am not the only that feels that 29ers are slower. I have talked to several that have tried 29 and a couple that have both 29 & 26. The consensus is that the 29er does excel in a few specific trail situations. But the 26 overall is more versatile. Now if he wants to own a 26 and 29 using then use the best bike for a particular course makes sense. 29er for all racing will hold him back. IMHO. Feel free to put in your 2 cents if you race 29 and feel that it works better overall.

get down!
    Why are you "all up in" the 29er forum then?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed
    Why are you "all up in" the 29er forum then?
    Because I was interested in one. Then I test rode one. I am still not against owning one. I wanted to see what guys were saying on the forums pro and con. My post was about MY experience and thoughts on a 29er and suggesting to the OP that he should at least try one before jumping in to a high end 29er. I was where he was. I then reconsidered after trying one. Thats all.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Because I was interested in one. Then I test rode one. I am still not against owning one. I wanted to see what guys were saying on the forums pro and con. My post was about MY experience and thoughts on a 29er and suggesting to the OP that he should at least try one before jumping in to a high end 29er. I was where he was. I then reconsidered after trying one. Thats all.
    Well, nothing is for everyone. I may add that one ride may not be enough to tell, and even then, one 29er is not just like any other. Set-up too. Wheel weight, yada yada.

But still, there are soooo many riders that enjoy the bennies of big wheels in rooty, twisty riding areas that it becomes a personal choice issue, and not a hard and fast "big wheels do not work here" type of thing.

There are times I feel that I am giving away something on a 29er, but there are so many other places that I am ahead of the game, that it is of no consequence to me.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ordered one of the Scott Scale Pros. The Cannondale wasn't really an option for me as the shop I race for carries Scott, Niner, Salsa and Redline.

I am more into the 2x10 than 3x10. I plan on swapping out the crank before the bike leaves the shop. It appears that the crank is one place on the Scott that a good amount of weight can be lost. I'm thinking about swapping it to an XTR and changing the pedals to my egg beaters which will save almost a pound. Since the Scott is cheaper than the Cannondale you should be able to switch to 2x10 and do an upgrade.

This will be my first 29er as well. I didn't demo since most of our trails are under snow right now. If I don't like it I figure I can sell it mid season without losing too much money as I have heard they are sold out from Scott already in a number of sizes and I'm not paying retail.

mtbr member

Bikes are like art

Quote Originally Posted by justonegear
    Bikes are like art..... No matter how well it rides if you don't like the looks of it you will keep shopping till you find one you do. Buy what you like, beat it till you need a new one, find another one you like and repeat! The more times you repeat this drill the happier you will be.
    I whole heartedly agree with this statement. A few months back I sold an Ibis Mojo and bought a small Turner Sultan. While the Sultan is arguably a better bike than the Ibis, I really miss looking at the Ibis on the stand in the garage. It was simply beautiful. IMHO you need both performance and looks. The Ibis had both whereas the Turner has slightly better performance, but is questionable in the looks department (at least the small frame with the bent TT).

mtbr member
    Agreed that you ought to test them both first. And others, too, if you have shops handy enough. Spec SJ 29er HT, Niner Air Carbon, Santa Cruz just announced a carbon HT, too.

As for them being slower, my experience is just the opposite. I'm consistently faster on my 29er. And these guys would also disagree: http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...l-is-dead_3050

I'm a big fan of the Lefty and plan to add one to my 429 when I can save up the pennies.

mtbr member
    If it is a big decision then ride them both first. If you don't then just flip a coin or choose the pretty one. Somebody else's opinion while it may be informed doesn't mean they have similar preferences to yours. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many choices out there.
    All that aside I agree that 29 is the best way to renew the MTB.

Members who have read this thread: 0