29er Carbon Hardtail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

29er Carbon Hardtail

I'd like to (not in a rush, but hopefully this year) buy a light weight 29er hardtail. I would need size small for sure or even a women's specific fit (but I doubt that exists).

I'd also like to get one that has reasonable tire clearance, perhaps even up to 2.4". This appears to be the biggest challenge!

I'm hoping to find something used but I'm open to end of year sales etc. I'd like to keep it to $3000 or even less hopefully!

Any suggestions? So far I've been looking at the niner air RDO but I'd have to buy online and wouldn't have a chance to test ride.

Any other suggestions of decent hardtails with good clearance?

mtbr member
    https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/dv9/
    $999 for frame
    2.6" tire clearance

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thanks, that is one I hadn't considered! I had to look up what "Down-Country" geometry is though. Definitely a promising option...

The more I read about the bike the more I think it suits what I'm looking for. I really wish it had different colour choices though!

Short-Change-Hero
    Any particular reason you are wanting to go with Carbon frame? What type of riding will the bike be used for? Looking for full bike purchase at $3k or willing to build something up over time (potentially getting better spec for cheaper)?
    Definitely set on 29er or could it be 27.5+/29 frame which may give more versatility and open up the offerings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Any particular reason you are wanting to go with Carbon frame? What type of riding will the bike be used for? Looking for full bike purchase at $3k or willing to build something up over time (potentially getting better spec for cheaper)?
    Definitely set on 29er or could it be 27.5+/29 frame which may give more versatility and open up the offerings.
    I want a light bike (it will be used for travel) and I like the ride feel of Carbon. I also want it to be a 29er for sure! It will be used for longer XC rides at home with fast friends (also riding 29ers) and for mtn bike trips to the baja (trails are a bit easier, but lots of elevation and sand).

I'm 100% open to a used bike and could maybe build something but I'd likely have to run every component choice by this forum to make sure I get it right A pre-built solution might be better for me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by linner View Post
    Thanks, that is one I hadn't considered! I had to look up what "Down-Country" geometry is though. Definitely a promising option...

The more I read about the bike the more I think it suits what I'm looking for. I really wish it had different colour choices though!
    Note the reach on the DV9. 435 for a Large. This is short. imo.
    Chameleon is 457 for a Large with shorter chainstays.
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Got myself a Niner Air RDO frameset and built it up with Sram gx eagle, rockshox SID, and Mavic Crossmax pro wheelset.
    Great bike! Fast and quick responding, feels like a true xc race machine. Sitting at 22lb. It can we way lighter if you have the $$$
    I got the frameset from competitive cyclist for $1200 i think.
    29er Carbon Hardtail-screen-shot-2019-03-19-10.04.34-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Have you tried a steel hardtail? I know you said you like the ride feel of carbon, but steel is way more forgiving and compliant in a hardtail build. You can find a pretty lightweight steel frame as well, for about 1/2 the cost of carbon..

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    MC357.... Looks amazing! I'd be happy with 22lb (especially in my price range). What tires do you have on there?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Canyon Exceed carbon hardtail bike for $2199.00. I've heard it will fit 2.35 size 29er tires with plenty of clearance. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/exc...l-6-0-pro-race

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    MC357.... Looks amazing! I'd be happy with 22lb (especially in my price range). What tires do you have on there?
    Front: Schwalbe nobby nic 29 2.25
    Rear: Schwalbe racing ralph 29 2.25
    this is a good tire combo for my local fire-roads/single tracks

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MC357 View Post
    Front: Schwalbe nobby nic 29 2.25
    Rear: Schwalbe racing ralph 29 2.25
    this is a good tire combo for my local fire-roads/single tracks
    Do you think there is clearance to move to a 2.4 minion? (for example) Might not be my tire of choice for this bike, but its about the width I'd likely go for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Do you think there is clearance to move to a 2.4 minion? (for example) Might not be my tire of choice for this bike, but its about the width I'd likely go for.
    Ill take a photo of the rear end today and post it on here...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    29er Carbon Hardtail-0-1.jpg29er Carbon Hardtail-0-2.jpg
    This is with a 2.25 Schwalbe racing ralph...

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MC357 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0-1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	1243055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0-2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	1243056
    This is with a 2.25 Schwalbe racing ralph...
    There is a little bit more room there, but not much! Thanks for posting

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Check the geo of the Niner. HT> is 70. Handling can be twitchy for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Check the geo of the Niner. HT> is 70. Handling can be twitchy for me.
    The Canyon Exceed has a 69.5 headtube angle...which is in line with most lightweight, racing carbon hardtails like the Scott Scale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    The Canyon Exceed has a 69.5 headtube angle...which is in line with most lightweight, racing carbon hardtails like the Scott Scale.
    Yeh but pro racers no longer ride hardtails that much except for sprint races. Those bikes are dated with no updates for years now.
    The Scott Spark RC WC is 68.5.
    If you're using the bike for something other than a dedicated race bike, say trail riding and fun, slacker will be worth considering. And 70 is not needed.

The Scott Spark 900 Premium with 120mm travel and space for 2.6 tires is 67.2. That's what a new Scale should match if it finally gets an update.
    Same with a new bike from Canyon.
    But these bikes are low priority because they make less money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    Canyon Exceed carbon hardtail bike for $2199.00. I've heard it will fit 2.35 size 29er tires with plenty of clearance. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/exc...l-6-0-pro-race
    Finally having time to look closer at the exceed, the price is very appealing! Its hard to get confirmation, but I think it will take a 2.4" tire. Thanks for the info.

Having a nice day!
    Look at Transition Vanquish. I think they are going to quit making them so deals can probably be had. They have a little more relaxed HA than the race oriented bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Have you tried a steel hardtail? I know you said you like the ride feel of carbon, but steel is way more forgiving and compliant in a hardtail build. You can find a pretty lightweight steel frame as well, for about 1/2 the cost of carbon..
    wha???? go ride a decent modern carbon bike and report back. they ride WAY nicer and are less than 1/2 the weight. this coming from a guy who rode a nice custom steel rigid bike for years.... only reason i'd go steel anymore is if i couldn't afford carbon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Look at Transition Vanquish. I think they are going to quit making them so deals can probably be had. They have a little more relaxed HA than the race oriented bikes.
    I did a quick search and it looks interesting but everywhere appeared to be sold out of smalls! Then I looked closer and realized they don't even make it in a small. At 5'5" it likely won't work for me. Thanks for the suggestion though, it would have been anther good option!