29er build for a friend can i do better?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29er build for a friend can i do better?

So, my buddy want to get in shape and tried my inbred 29er with the parts from a 2007 paragon and loved it. It was on Gem trail but still he was loving every min of it.
    So i think he has some cash now but not a ton. He is a Clyde at 260 and 6'4"

At first i was thinking bikes direct Phntom 29 pro. Like the Tora and Hydros dont like a few of the other parts and dont like the aluminum frame. Anyone know what BD warranties are like?

So i started looking at steel and this is the best i can come up with: I am wondering if i can beat this for $ 989.08 delivered.
    I would enjoy building it up with him and it would give him a chance to get familiar with the bike and now to maintain it.

unbranded cromo with RST m-29: $384

Sram X.7 Disc Group

Brake Levers: Avid FR-5 Brake Levers 2010
    Levers: Avid FR-5 Brake Levers 2010
    Brake Cable: Alligator Slick Stainless Cable
    Cable Type: Alligator Slick Stainless Cable
    Option: Alligator Slick Stainless Cable
    Shifter Cable: Alligator Slick Stainless Cable
    Cassette: Sram PG-950 9 Speed Cassette 2009 11-34
    Option: Sram PG-950 9 Speed Cassette 2009 11-34
    Chain: Sram PC-951 Chain w/ Powerlink Gold 2009
    Option: Sram PC-951 Chain w/ Powerlink Gold 2009
    Crank: Truvativ Firex 3.3 Team Crankset 2009
    Crankset: Truvativ Firex 3.3 Team Crankset 2009
    2009 Rear Der: SRAM X.7 Rear Derailleur 2009 Black Medium Cage
    Option: SRAM X.7 Rear Derailleur 2009 Black Medium Cage
    Rear Der: SRAM X.7 Rear Derailleur 2009 Black Medium Cage
    Front Der: Sram X.7 Front Derailleur 2010 High Clamp Dual Pull 28.6/31.8/34.9
    Brakes: Avid BB7 Mech Disc Brake Grey Fnt/Rer 2009
    Disc Brake: Avid BB7 Mech Disc Brake Grey Fnt/Rer 2009
    Option: Avid BB7 Mech Disc Brake Grey Fnt/Rer 2009
    Option: Sram X.7 Trigger Shifters 2009
    Shifters: Sram X.7 Trigger Shifters 2009

Sette Type-H Lock On Grips

IRC Notos Folding Tire 29 x 2.1
    Panaracer Rampage 29er Folding Tire 29x2.35

Shimano Deore M525 Disc Hubs w/ Mavic 317 Disc 29er Rims

I can swap out the cockpit from his old ghetto bike for now.
    So can i do a better clyde build for that price? any complete bikes out there that would be better? Any parts that wont stand up to him/upgrades i should make?

mtbr member
    Ok, got it down to $911.06 by getting the same frame and fork and a wtb speed disc wheelset with nevagals already on them from bike island

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You can get the Access Frame from performance bike for $120 + the m-29 fork from bike island for $200. That would save some $$$, and I've read good things about the frame.

mtbr member
    is the Access steel? I like the idea of steel for him. aluminum frames or complete bikes seem to be a dime a dozen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It is alum, I skipped over that part of your post. Sorry .

mtbr member
    Build an inbred like you have. Used they are super inexpensive and they are built to hold clydes.

Look for a used Manitou Minute on classifieds or ebay, 200 should get you really close.

A $200 beefy set of wheels gets you around $600 with 300 left for an x-7 dtrain and bits. Should be close to $900 and a nice solid bike.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Boo to the FireX crankset, I am 190 lbs and torqued the big ring way too easy, crank never had a solid feel to it .... Try chain reaction cycles out of the GBritain for your build, I have had great luck with them shipping and service wise ( no tax and shipping is free over 250) they sell an slx crank for < 130

mtbr member
    My advice, it all looks good, but ditch that extreme POS PG950 "cassette" I use cassette in brackets because a more accurate description is "boat anchor". The thing weighs 1lb and is utter $hit, I know I had one and broke teeth off it and I'm only 170ish. Get him a PG9980 or LX cassette, muc better bang for his buck. I didn't say anything about the frame because the rest of the parts are solid and he can always if he decided he likes it upgrade the frame to something like a Banshee Paradox when he's ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    My advice, it all looks good, but ditch that extreme POS PG950 "cassette" I use cassette in brackets because a more accurate description is "boat anchor". The thing weighs 1lb and is utter $hit, I know I had one and broke teeth off it and I'm only 170ish. Get him a PG9980 or LX cassette, muc better bang for his buck. I didn't say anything about the frame because the rest of the parts are solid and he can always if he decided he likes it upgrade the frame to something like a Banshee Paradox when he's ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso
    Boo to the FireX crankset, I am 190 lbs and torqued the big ring way too easy, crank never had a solid feel to it .... Try chain reaction cycles out of the GBritain for your build, I have had great luck with them shipping and service wise ( no tax and shipping is free over 250) they sell an slx crank for < 130
    both of those are part of the build kit package he has though. Looks like the Pricepoint one to me. It would be worth checking out the JensonUSA build kits too.

Another option that can be quite competitive is to buy everything from Universal Cycles: no tax, $4 shipping on large orders and the vip15 coupon for 15% off the order. Also use price matches on parts where the price match is better than 15% off for that part.

Short-Change-Hero
    Where are you building this from again? From what I have seen that is a pretty good/solid setup for the price...

mtbr member
    I'd say you have the right idea. Let him wear out or break stuff and then upgrade.

That should be a really nice bike for under a grand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The biggest size that unbranded cro-mo frame comes in is a 21". I'd check the geometry numbers on that before ordering it for a 6'4" rider.

I have been riding the 23" Access for close to a year and I'm an inch taller and have (until very recently) been 10 to 15 pounds heavier. It's a very smooth riding frame and handles my weight just fine. It's not a wet noodle feeling, it just rides very smoothly.

I think I would up the budget if necessary for an $85 SLX crankset from Jenson:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx

Also, at 260lbs, the freehub on that FH-M525 may not be long for this world if he has (or develops) some leg strength.

Otherwise, I think it'll be good/durable enough to get him out there and riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0