mtbr member
    Mar 2013

29er bikes for enduro & trails

Hi im looking to replace my Stumpjumper expert carbon 16 which has snapped in two pieces.

Im looking at these 29er bikes:

Commencal am 29
    YT Capra
    Stumpjumper evo
    Stumpjumper expert
    Banshee Prime

Could you please give your feedback.

Anyone has the commencal am 29 2019 & Stumpjumper evo 2019, how stiff is the frame?

I normally ride steep trails race local enduro at least 5 to 6 times per year. I think this time I prefer to go back to alloy frame since the last 12 carbon bikes I had cracked.

mtbr member
    Sounds to me like a Prime would be the bike for you then, very stiff and burly since you seem hard on bikes ;-) They pedal really well, everywhere and descent amazing, the KS-Link really does an excellent job. Go check the Banshee forum for more info on the Prime, lots of new owners chiming in. I don't ride such aggressive stuff, just steeps for fun, so I prefer the Phantom, but also have a Prime, don't think I'll ever be able to kill the Prime - currently using it for the extra cush recovering from a badly injured thumb.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    The only bike I've ever broken is the only aluminum bike I've ever owned- a GG Smash. Race about 10-15 times a year DH and Enduro. I think I got in about 40 park days this year including being injured (and needing surgery) for 6 weeks. I wouldn't shy away from carbon. The new Scott Ransom is sick. I'm 200lb also.
    Denver, CO

jcd's best friend
    I've never ridden the Stumpjumper Evo but I've seen them at my local bike shop. Man, that bike is just flat out crazy. You can probably ask more questions on the Stumpy Evo thread:https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/...d-1077199.html

I will throw in another bike for your consideration: Transition Sentinel! I have one and love it! It's more than up for the task of enduro racing.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    Iíve got the new GT Sensor. Itís by far the stiffest frame Iíve ever felt. Pushing as hard as I can against the rear tire while pulling the seat tube creates almost no flexion. Itís 130 f/r with killer geo.

Another killer geo bike is the Fezzari La Sal. Not sure how stiff they are, they are very light: 29lbs for the entry level model with eagle and lyrik for $3600.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Commencal's 29ers look pretty nice - slack front end, steep seat tube, solid reach, all at a great price. I personally have really been liking the super short chainstays and fantastic suspension design on my Canfield Riot, might be worth a look if you can get your hands on one (availability is pretty limited).

A Banshee Prime and Guerilla Gravity Smash would be kind of similar to the Riot, the Smash being a bit of a bigger bike, and the Prime being more of a trail bike (besides its massive 448mm stays).

If you like the idea of the Stuntjumper EVO, you might also consider something like a Pole Evolink 140. Super slack front, crazy reach, and a very steep seat tube. Bikes like that might feel rather lifeless on flatter terrain, though.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    Commencal's 29ers look pretty nice - slack front end, steep seat tube, solid reach, all at a great price. I personally have really been liking the super short chainstays and fantastic suspension design on my Canfield Riot, might be worth a look if you can get your hands on one (availability is pretty limited).

A Banshee Prime and Guerilla Gravity Smash would be kind of similar to the Riot, the Smash being a bit of a bigger bike, and the Prime being more of a trail bike (besides its massive 448mm stays).

If you like the idea of the Stuntjumper EVO, you might also consider something like a Pole Evolink 140. Super slack front, crazy reach, and a very steep seat tube. Bikes like that might feel rather lifeless on flatter terrain, though.
    My riot is what first came to mind when I read this. But I also liked the new stumpy. More of a long legged trail bike can do enduro stuff. The Knolly Fugitive is also a option as well. I have a Carbon Warden and hear that they made the fugitive pedal better which is my biggest complaint about the warden is that is HAS to have a climb switch. But the fugitive is said to be much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If u ride mostly steep stuff I would take a hard look at the pole evolink 158 and the 140 is allready mentioned. The Nicolai bikes should be mentioned if u can afford them. Also look at the Bird Aeris AM9, Nukeproof Mega 290 and Radon Swoop 29. There are also rumors about a Canyon Strive 29 coming next season, but who knows if or when it will materialize. I guess most of these bikes would tame a mellow trail to feel like a 4 lane highway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Value wise, tough to beat theCapra. If $$$$ not a concern: maybe Pivot FB29?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Commencal added a brace in the rear seat stays on the 29 over the 27.5 meta. First shipment hits the USA next week. Solid free ride bike but I wouldnít want to pedal it all day for fun. Banshee prime handled dh park as well as the sentinel, foxy r 29, and my yeti 5.5.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have never enjoyed any ride on any Commencal bike. I would look elsewhere.

People really love their YT bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Full disclaimer: I am a Kool-Aid drinking GG fanboi. That said, I cannot recommend the GG Smash enough for versatility. Super capable on the gnarliest trails, but still fun and lively on easier trails. Can swap to two other bikes with just a seatstay swap and different shock stroke as well....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post

For the past 6 years I broken these following bikes

Giant trance carbon
    2x lappiere spicy carbon
    Specialized Enduro s works
    Specialized stumpjumper expert carbon

The Commencal am 29er is attractive because specs are top notch it will requires me to less swap parts.

Iíve ridden my friends bashee rune itís fun to ride and itís feels very solid, he hasnít broken it so far so it looks very versatile You can use different hub sizes

How good is banshee prime in climbing and also can I handle big drop since it only comes with 135mm travel on rear?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I have never enjoyed any ride on any Commencal bike. I would look elsewhere.

People really love their YT bikes.

Why is that you never enjoyed Commencal?

Yet bikes are always out of stock

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Value wise, tough to beat theCapra. If $$$$ not a concern: maybe Pivot FB29?

Nice bike but only comes with 3 years warranty and rear uses 12x158 hubs so there will be limited wheels available

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post

The Commencal am 29er is attractive because specs are top notch it will requires me to less swap parts.
    If you broke those other bikes, you'll break the commencal easy. Just riding with my buddy that rides the same terrain as me I watched this happen.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Hi im looking to replace my Stumpjumper expert carbon 16 which has snapped in two pieces.

Im looking at these 29er bikes:

Commencal am 29
    YT Capra
    Stumpjumper evo
    Stumpjumper expert
    Banshee Prime

Could you please give your feedback.

Anyone has the commencal am 29 2019 & Stumpjumper evo 2019, how stiff is the frame?

I normally ride steep trails race local enduro at least 5 to 6 times per year. I think this time I prefer to go back to alloy frame since the last 12 carbon bikes I had cracked.
    I think you need to go steel. Both frame and wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I can wholly recommend the Prime.
    I've ridden mine as 29" and 27.5"+ and with 140mm forks as well as 160mm.

It climbs propostrously well. I had a Fuel EX 9.9 with carbon wheels and super light but it couldn't climb as well as the Prime. It's heavier but more efficient and composed.
    Descending is great fun.
    The reason I picked it was for its versatility.
    The geometry is also adjustable and because I'm 1.93m I wanted longer chainstays to maintain a balanced ride. I've tried short stays and didn't like it.

Having owned about six+ 29" bikes over the last few years it's comfortably the best I've ridden.

I sound like a fanboi but the magic is real.

mtbr member
    I have a Stumpjumper Evo and Hightower LT. The SJEvo is an absolute monster when it is steep and rough. Bike is so composed it is hard to understand without riding it. Also has an amazing suspension curve being supple in the early stroke, but plenty of mid stroke support and pop.

Downside is more work when the trails are less than steep. In addition you will definitely need to use the climb switch, which I almost never use on the HTLT. On a race day with the SJ Evo I would probably do the full day in Trail mode. Also the stock component setup is HEAVY. Since frame only is not available and looking at it as a race bike, you will need to replace the rear cassette, wheels, bars, stem, front ring and possibly cranks. I have mine down to 31 lbs with these changes running CushCore in the rear including pedals.

Overall I highly recommend the SJ Evo if you have the terrain for it. The HTLT is an amazing all rounder and my preference as a daily driver (mine is not stock geometry), but the Evo is a great bike and a huge value.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Why is that you never enjoyed Commencal?

Yet bikes are always out of stock
    Bikes being out of stock might not be due to popularity. Maybe they're as bad at managing inventory as they are at designing bicycles.

The list of why I did not enjoy their bikes is quite long. Evil, on the other hand, which was right across from them, had some great bikes.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I don't know you or your riding style, but the Fugitive has been killing it for me. 36 Grip2, X2, poppy, stable, corners extremely well. Up, down, or around.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    I got some bad ideas in my head.