which 29er is best for me- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

which 29er is best for me

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be purchasing my first 29er MTB. Currently I have a Gary Fisher Big Sur that I've had for 10+ years. Currently I ride mostly streets, occasionally hard packed roads. I ride roughly 2500 miles per year. Looking for advice on my next bike. I was looking at the Gary Fisher Cobia, but also starting looking at a Giant XTC 29er 2. I'm looking to spend around $900.00-$1400.00. I'm looking for any input that you can share

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Based on your description, it doesn't sound like you will be riding on trails. Therefore, I'd think you'd be happier with a rigid fork, rather than suspension, and probably a steel frame to soften the ride a little bit. A Surly Karate Monkey would probably be perfect because its very versatile and you could change it around if you do get to riding more trails. Maybe the SLX Salsa Fargo build as well - that would give you drop bars but can plenty handle trails. Or maybe even a Surly Cross Check - not a 29er, but can fit up to 1.8" tires for the dirt roads, more upright riding position than a 29er.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    What's everyone's take on a Giant XTC 2 29er (2011). I can get it for $1200.00- not sure between that bike and a gary fisher Cobia?

mtbr member

JBO
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    A hardtail that I reckon is often overlooked is the Jamis Dakota 29 Pro - excellent bike for the money.

Members who have read this thread: 0