29er bandwagon- Mtbr.com

Thread: 29er bandwagon

mtbr member

29er bandwagon

i'm having thoughts of joining the 29er bandwagon... i want to try it out first... what are the good entry level 29er bikes? i'm thinking of 500-800 budget...

mhr
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I really like my 09' 21" frame Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er. I'm 6'-1" 185 and it fits me great. I don't feel all cramped up like I'm riding a kids bike. I mainly do casual to moderate speed weekend warrior trail riding. I don't jump or do drops either. People say the rims are crap, but maybe they are racing, jumping. and dropping with this bike and it's not really meant for that. It's a recreational XC and marketed as so on their site so thrashing it in stock form probably isn't a wise choice. I also like the fact it's a longer frame as well as larger. A lot of larger frames aren't necessarily longer, but this one is and allows the 29" wheels to clear my toes while turning with plenty of room. I recommend the bike. I got a 20% off deal and paid $750. Worth every cent for my purpose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjeys
    i'm having thoughts of joining the 29er bandwagon... i want to try it out first... what are the good entry level 29er bikes? i'm thinking of 500-800 budget...
    There used to be very few 29er options in that price range, but that's not really the case anymore. Specialized Hardrock 29 or Rockhopper 29, Marin Alpine Trail, Gary Fisher Mamba...those are all good bikes that should be pretty readily available. I think Redline has a bike in that price range that a lot of people like as well. There are also the internet bikes if that's your thing. What brands does your LBS carry?

mtbr member
    i'll check out the bikes that you stated. my LBS carry 29ers but it's well over my budget. they don't carry the entry level 29ers that i'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Are single speed rigid bikes an option? My first 29'er was a GT Peace 9'r and was a good bike for about $450. Rigid on a 29'er is a lot more forgiving than on a 26 so don't discount it as an option. Heck, you could probably find a close-out suspension fork for $2-300 and you'd be inside your budget.
    That said, a bit more investment in one of the Fisher or Niner options would not be a bad idea at all. They handle really, really well. Fisher's lifetime warranty is great too.

Members who have read this thread: 0