292 Fisher fs frame size advise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

292 Fisher fs frame size advise

I have been riding a 292 and have had some endo issues on the medium frame. I am 5'10" with a 33" inseam. Also have a large fisher 29 inch hard tail which feels cumbersome on single track but is perfect for fire roads etc. Would the large 292 (19") be less prone to endo than the medium (17.5") frame. Another trip to the hospital and I could have paid for another bike. Any advise on other FS 29 inch bikes with different geometry (prehaps slacker head tube) would be appreciated.

jrm
    mtbr member

sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by catflopsy
    I have been riding a 292 and have had some endo issues on the medium frame. I am 5'10" with a 33" inseam. Also have a large fisher 29 inch hard tail which feels cumbersome on single track but is perfect for fire roads etc. Would the large 292 (19") be less prone to endo than the medium (17.5") frame. Another trip to the hospital and I could have paid for another bike. Any advise on other FS 29 inch bikes with different geometry (prehaps slacker head tube) would be appreciated.

What year is the bike?, have you changed anything set up wise ? in what circumstances are you endoing on the 292? and are you endoing on the HT in those same instances?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catflopsy
    The further your weight is from the center of the front wheel/contact patch the harder it is to do a normal endo. This usually means, all other things being equal, the longer the wheelbase the harder it is to go OTB. It also means body position is important. When you are in a situation where your rear wheel is coming off the ground, you need to have your weight as far back as possible. I would say that a larger bike is safer than a smaller one, but it will be less nimble. 33 inch inseam is a lot for a 5'10" person. I am 6" and have a 32" inseam. Since your body proportion means you have relatively long legs, unless you have monster legs and a small upper body, you have a large proportion of your body mass above your legs. This raises your center of gravity and will make you more prone to endos. I am 6" and I think I could ride a 292 XL if I wanted, my L often feels a little small, so I max out the stem at like 110mm. But the L is probably more nimble than the XL and it pretty hard to find an XL. The XL also would presumably weigh more. Hence the L is probably the best for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    What year is the bike?, have you changed anything set up wise ? in what circumstances are you endoing on the 292? and are you endoing on the HT in those same instances?
    I have not changed the set up with the exception of changing from a Marzocchi to a Race Reba fork. Have 2" riser bars and have 30 degree by 90 mm stem. The first endo was on the up side after a down hill section of the trail.I think I hit a rock or something which instantly flipped the bike and sent me flying. The next one was on a slow rough desent. I hit a softball sized rock which stopped the bike and over I went.. I'm kind of scared of the thing now. The hard tail was ridden in the same circumstances with some crashes but no endos. The 292 is a new Trek warantee dept. frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0