29 Steel SS Rigid- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

29 Steel SS Rigid

I am looking for hopefully a list of production framesets( non-custom) that are 1. Steel(853) 2. Single speed specific, non-ebb, either horizontal, or sliding dropouts, 3. Complete with matching rigid fork, and 4. 29er

currently I have a Niner Sir, but the EBB on it is making me crazy. Constantly slips, adjustment is difficult, and it creaks. I love the bike, but I would love it even more if I could match the frame with a non EBB solution.

It seems like this combo is difficult to find. I may just have to go custom, but the price and wait, have me reluctant to go that route.

Thanks for your collective input.

mtbr member
    Surly Karate Monkey

New Salsa El Mariachi

30-ton War Machine
    If you can deal with 631 steel the Voodoo Soukri has sliding drops on it.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I'd look at the new Salsa you have to pay extra for the matching fork but it's most say it's a nice ride. I would love the new frame with a Atomic Blue Niner carbon fork.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Luke warm on the Mariachi. What is a "Kung Fu" tubeset? Any ideas of weight? How reliable is the adjustable dropout?

I'm very stoked on the performance and feel of the Niner, not really wanting to take a step down from that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have an On-One Inbred with a Kona P2 steel fork - used to have it as a SS, but wanted gears for more steep climbs. Love that bike.

Apr 2007
    Have you looked at the Gunnar Ruffian? I'm sure they can fix up a matching fork.

Also, note OP said 853 steel.
    Last edited by p nut; 08-16-2010 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Vassago Jabberwocky + ODIS Fork

mtbr member
    I second the jabberwocky suggestion - The large frame weighs almost exactly the same as a large niner frame...

Plus size jersey model
    Vassago Jabber the wet cat is the best geo I have ridden. Love it so much I decided not to by a squishy and just got a Bander instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Check out the Origin8 Frankenmonster I just posted up.

FJLEGEND

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    VASSAGO JabberWocky...no brainer!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Wow, people are in love with Vassago! What is the deal? Seems like a practical bike at a practical price. But what is Wet Cat geometry? Does it feel like a race bike? 4130?

Apr 2007
    It's made of 4130 and the frame is right at 5 lbs. Not the lighest, but not bad. I've got a Vassago Jabberwocky, too. I love that bike. I didn't mention it, because you had wanted a 853 steel bike. However, Vassago is about the launch a new Black Label series that consists of handmade frame with blingy steel material.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by northwest
    Luke warm on the Mariachi. What is a "Kung Fu" tubeset? Any ideas of weight? How reliable is the adjustable dropout?

I'm very stoked on the performance and feel of the Niner, not really wanting to take a step down from that.
    Kung Fu is Japanese made Sanko, good quality, not OX or it's twin (brand names...) 853 by Reynolds, but not junk by any means-

The dropouts are not all to different than some other "proven" designs alread out there (black cat as the mtbr thread and posts clearly point to to name one)

Niner are fine bikes, but thinking your going "down" by getting a salsa might be a stretch- Salsa makes a very nice bike and generally does a nice job when it comes down to attention to detail compared to many of the other "large" niche brands-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by northwest
    Wow, people are in love with Vassago! What is the deal? Seems like a practical bike at a practical price. But what is Wet Cat geometry? Does it feel like a race bike? 4130?
    The geometry is long wheelbase, long chainstays, low bottom bracket, and relaxed headtube angle. It really rolls over stuff well, is super stable and yet you can maneuver hairpins and such well. It is not flickable bike. It is extremely confidence inspiring at speed. I love it. I would recommend finding one local, and test riding it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    Kung Fu is Japanese made Sanko, good quality, not OX or it's twin (brand names...) 853 by Reynolds, but not junk by any means-

The dropouts are not all to different than some other "proven" designs alread out there (black cat as the mtbr thread and posts clearly point to to name one)

Niner are fine bikes, but thinking your going "down" by getting a salsa might be a stretch- Salsa makes a very nice bike and generally does a nice job when it comes down to attention to detail compared to many of the other "large" niche brands-
    actually, I've had 2 salsa's that have turned out to be some of my favorite rides. Just curious what they're doing now. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I agree with everything said about the Jabber - however the On-one 29er climbs better (shorter chainstays) if that's your thing.

mtbr member
    Vassago Jabberwocky with ODIS Rigid fork!

Damn thing climbs like a cat with it's tail on fire, and is way better on technical terrain than my GF X-caliber

Have been on mine for 2-1/2 weeks, love it, the geared GF 29er is still hanging on the rack!
    2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS

Expert Crasher
    Does it have to be steel?

If I were jumping on a performance SS, I'd look at the Specialized Stumpjumper SS.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Vassago sounds pretty good. But does the list begin and end with the Jabberwocky? Is there anything else?

mtbr member
    Until they release their "Black Label" frames, yes, unless you want to spring the big money for their Optimus Ti.

But I recommend Jabberwocky as well. I currently have the Bandersnatch, identical geo to the Jabber except slightly wider rear wheel clearance (73 vs. 68mm BB) and am waiting to see what the Black Label magic is...
    Last edited by bycyclist; 09-11-2010 at 12:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Have you seen this? http://spotbrand.com/bikes/product-page/rocker-ss/

made in usa if you care bout that and the $$$ you'll pay forit
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm riding an Inbred with a soul cycles dillinger fork up front and it rolls over everything, I know it's not too high on the bling factor but I love this bike. The longer fork slacks it out a bit. Climbs well, corners good, and it feels best when there is a bit of room to let it go. It could be a bit quicker in the tight stuff though.(disclaimer)

30-ton War Machine
    Look at the wheelbase on the Vassago's, they are LIMOs and handle like them.

Plus size jersey model
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    Look at the wheelbase on the Vassago's, they are LIMOs and handle like them.
    I am not sure if you have ever ridden a Vassago but I can assure you they do not handle anything like a limo. I may be the size of a limo but this thing can handle any switchback and techy trail I can throw at it.

Disclaimer not the techiest or tightest switchback but the only pic I could find right now.

And not another great example but my Jabber handles this double switchback better then my 575 and Mary(pictured) which both where sold after owning the Jabber for a month.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I road a Vassago Bandersnatch back to back with my Black Cat. I would agree that the Bandersnatch handles like a limo (although I've never driven a limo). It was one of the slowest bikes I've been on when going through tight turns. I don't know the geometry of it, but it looks and feels like a very long bike (long toptube, long wheelbase, slack HT). It's definitely not a flickable bike for me, but it was very stable on straight climbs and descents. I was able to clear a rocky climb on the Vassago that I usually have trouble with on other bikes. Descending felt secure and stable. I can see how the Vassago would be comfortable for day-long riding.

My Black Cat is the complete opposite, short wheelbase, very flickable, quick handling, but a little jerky in the rocky climbs. I guess it's all a trade off and it depends on what you find more appealing. I prefer quick, responsive handling, and a bike I feel will stay with me.

Some steel SS frames I would considered are the Origin 8 Scout and Surly Karate Monkey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It seems this debate over geometry never dies. It really just depends on the type of rider you are and the terrain.

But there are some things you can't change. Once you are above a certain height (6'2" in my case) or over a certain weight (200lbs), I don't think "flickability" is part of the equation anyway.

Apr 2007
    Having ridden several 29ers, I don't feel like the Vassago handles anything like a "limo". Perhaps not as quick steering as some of the others, but it handles switchbacks and tech sections just fine.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    the redline monocog 29ers meet all your requirements but one >> cromo, not fancy steel. but also cheeep, and they handle very nice.
    i own 1
    the time is right for violent revolution

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    I have an On-One Inbred with a Kona P2 steel fork - used to have it as a SS, but wanted gears for more steep climbs. Love that bike.

How do you like the P2 fork? I was thinking about either a P2 or Cromoto. People have been telling me that the P2 rides nicer than the Cromoto.

Cthulhu fhtagn
    why is everyone so set on steel? isnt aluminum lighter?

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager
    Generally, but steel has a preferred ride quality, generally.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Cthulhu fhtagn
    wouldnt tires and shocks or lack thereof have more of an effect on ride quality?

mtbr member
    wouldnt tires and shocks or lack thereof have more of an effect on ride quality?
    more of an effect, sure. But frame material and construction can still be noticeable. I switched all my parts over from an aluminum to a steel hardtail and the ride wasn't much different, but there was a noticeable change in certain aspects of the ride quality. For example, the feeling when landing a drop with the aluminum frame had a sharpness to it (like being slapped with an open hand) that was gone with the steel frame (more like an equally hard slap but with a glove)

edit: to clarify, this example was for a budget steel frame that is quite overbuilt. Nicer, lighter steel frames can potentially be even smoother and more noticable
    Last edited by boomn; 09-08-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Apr 2007
    Go ride one.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Go with a Spot. I have a custom SS. I run a chain (screw Belt)
    best bike ever. suuuuppper cushy steel ride, screw rigid forks too.

tap
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Vassago Jabberwocky...steel, SS specific, disc specific, good vibe, good quality, cheap, handles great. Built mine up earlier this year and having a blast with it. And, if you ever grow tired of the SS thing you can buy a gear kit for it.

WNC Native
    It all comes down to the type rider you are and the terrain you ride.

I had a jabber for a little bit. Super comfy and great all day frame, however compared to my shorter stay bikes it did feel like I was driving a limo. I also had some issues with the long stays not weighting the rear tire enough (spinning on steep climbs and such). They are nice frames but not for everyone. Which is why we have more than one option.

These are not 853, but also check these out too.

Redline Monocog Flight
    2011 Kona Unit
    Siren John Henry (more pricey and doesn't come with a fork, but very nice)
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just mounted a new P2 fork on my Scandal and the fork rocks! Steel is real!

Members who have read this thread: 0