Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29" S-Works "The Captain" tires reliable???

4K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  OneKYards 
#1 ·
:madman: I bought my stumpy just this past saturday... 2nd time out with it today and on some flat winding singletrack 4miles away from the parking lot my rear deflated! The sidewall of the tire actually ripped like it was a cheap condom! This is a complete shock to me, I thought the tires would be the LAST thing to go on that bike, let alone on the 2nd trip out!

Is there any history of these tires I should be aware of before I slap another one on?

#2 ·
The only good thing about Specialized tires is that they will replace them for free no matter what. The bad side is that the Captain's suck balls as tires(I've had the same thing happen with the set I had). Poor Ned Overend for having his name associated with them.

Try out some Conti Mountain Kings, you won't be disappointed. Or if you're gonna get the Speshies replaced try out the new Eskar 2.3", it looks to be a bit more beefy.

#3 ·
solid. I figued it wan't just a fluke. the ***** is that they're relatively expensive. What a joke. At least the bike is tits! I may have them replace the tire anyhow and get a set of Continentals for backup. If they replace them as freely as you say, I may just have tires on standby at all times... thanx bro!

#4 ·
No problem man, a bud of mine actually has a stumpy too and loves it, good to hear you like yours too! Specialized's policy is unconditional. If you're unhappy for any reason bring them back to your dealer for an exchange of the same thing or(someone correct me if I'm wrong) any other tire in their line.

#10 ·
Yeah, the S-Works version is made to be very light and has very thin sidewalls. They came stock on my Stumpy 29er also, i ran them tubeless and they were terrible, the folded all the time, although i never cut them, i see them being very easy to slice.

With that being said, the Control Version of the the Captian tire is amazing, i have been running the Non-Tubeless captain for 2 months now with no issues here in the wet, rocky, rooty east coast. I just ordered the 2Bliss version of the Captian Control earlier in the week, the could be in today.

Take them back to your shop and get the control version, they will swap them out for you, as specialized gives the dealers credit for used tires that customers do not like towards the purchase of new specialized tires.

#12 ·
NYrr496 said:
I'm not following you guys. Are the 29" versions ok?
The jist I'm getting is that S-works models are thin by design to be lightweight, probably in both 26" and 29". Therefore, they seem to be less reliable. Personally, my S-works have been great (run tubeless) and I've been scuffing them here and there on rocks. But maybe I'm just lucky?
The Control version is getting good praise. I have a 29x2.2 on order with the LBS, but I don't remember which version I'm getting.

#14 ·
Yes, we are talking about the 29er Versions, they make the 29er tires in a Control version and an S-Works version, i am personally going to be running the 2.0 Captain Control 2Bliss in the rear and a 2.2 Captain Control 2Bliss in the front on my stumpy 29er.

#26 ·
Just picked up the non-sworks 2.0 captain for my rear... hopefully this one holds up. Surprisingly though... my LBS gave me **** for even suggesting that I get a free tire. Was it unreasonable to assume a tire should last more than 2 rides? I'm having the manager there e-mail their specialized rep to see if I can get credit on my replacement, I can only hope they're a company who values their customers.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.