29 is a free ride.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29 is a free ride.

Ran into to a couple of guys yesterday on the trail. One had a flat on his 26er and said it was the first day he had ridden on "cliplesses". Like breasteses. I thought that was pretty funny.

I noticed the other guy who was executing the tube patch had a new Fisher as his ride. To be friendly I asked him how he liked it. He said he "loved it" and that he would never go back to 26 because "having 29" tires was like getting something for free". He said "for every 4 (or whatever # he used) revolutions of the crank on a 29er you get one for free compared to a 26er". So "anyone who can keep up with a guy on a 29er with a 26er has to be in really good shape". He wasn't talking about how a bigger tire may interact with terrain more efficiently; he was speaking purely about mechanical advantage. I was going to ask him if he thought increasing from a 32 tooth to a 34 tooth chainring constituted free energy too but decided that may take a while to explain and instead bid them a nice day and road off.

Funny guys.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier
    Funny guys.

Well, at least he is enjoying his ride.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

up n over
    Nov 2010
    florida sun baked brains?
    "my cat's breath smells like catfood."
    -ralph wiggum

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by elsewhere
    More of them than you think........

My days "visiting" are numbered.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Nice! I am going to roll with 36" wheels then for sure because that would be like a lot of free energy. Nobody will be able to keep up with me then...

Plastic homer

Funny guys.
    His grasp of physics may be tenuous, but we all feel the "energy" of the big hoops.

Don't mind me - coming off a week full of 29er in Sedona .

mtbr member
    No. I'm back in the Midwest. So Kansas sun baked brains, even though there hasn't been much of it until his week
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

up n over
    Nov 2010
    No. I'm back in the Midwest. So Kansas sun baked brains, even though there hasn't been much of it until his week
    I'm glad to be out of south Florida my self..
    Maybe its in the water?
    -ralph wiggum

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Where in Ks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm glad to be out of south Florida my self..
    Maybe its in the water?
    I heard that...I've been out of flat Florida for almost 3 years, and couldn't be happier.

ballbuster
    I hear Tesla Electric Company has a generator for the hub that drive an electric motor that drives the wheels, so the bike will run on free energy forever... oh, and you can plug it into your house and power that too. It pays for itself by selling the electricity back to the electric company.

I always get a good chuckle out of people who are so daft about science and physics that they actually buy that crap.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 04-03-2011 at 06:55 PM.

up n over
    Nov 2010
    Perpetual motion machine!

Will the hub power my cyclocomputer and my beer chiller?

I've had folks come into a shop I worked at and state
    "I need to get some exercise but I don't want to pedal.
    Do you carry the electric bikes?"
    Wtf?
    -ralph wiggum

mtbr member

Wtf?
    Whats sad is that doesn't surprise me in the least

up n over
    Nov 2010
    Florida sun baked Mr. T starter kit, three quarter armband tattoo, white sneaker, sleeveless ed hardy shirt, tight Jean, gel haired, yellow H3 driving, non mortgage paying, 12 credit card having, "I'm here at 2:30 on a Tuesday cuz I don't have a job", discount searching, "I need downhill gear in southflorida", white frame blue lens Costa wearing D-bag.

Or the "ya, I just got off shift" I'm looking for a discount comment..

No offense to the real heros out there but south Florida firemen tended to be the WORST or funniest depending on your take..
    -ralph wiggum

ballbuster

Yeah, totally

Perpetual motion machine!

Will the hub power my cyclocomputer and my beer chiller?

Wtf?
    THey are totally missing the point of electric bikes. The point is to use it like a car to get more errands done, and leave the car at home. If you're doing it right, you still get exercise.

The Road Warrior
    Florida sun baked Mr. T starter kit, three quarter armband tattoo, white sneaker, sleeveless ed hardy shirt, tight Jean, gel haired, yellow H3 driving, non mortgage paying, 12 credit card having, "I'm here at 2:30 on a Tuesday cuz I don't have a job", discount searching, "I need downhill gear in southflorida", white frame blue lens Costa wearing D-bag.

No offense to the real heros out there but south Florida firemen tended to be the WORST or funniest depending on your take..
    that's funny. got a good laugh out of that

Professional Crastinator
    I noticed the other guy who was executing the tube patch had a new Fisher as his ride. To be friendly I asked him how he liked it. He said he "loved it" and that he would never go back to 26 because "having 29" tires was like getting something for free". He said "for every 4 (or whatever # he used) revolutions of the crank on a 29er you get one for free compared to a 26er". So "anyone who can keep up with a guy on a 29er with a 26er has to be in really good shape". He wasn't talking about how a bigger tire may interact with terrain more efficiently; he was speaking purely about mechanical advantage. I was going to ask him if he thought increasing from a 32 tooth to a 34 tooth chainring constituted free energy too but decided that may take a while to explain and instead bid them a nice day and road off.

Funny guys.
    A lot of people become so overwhelmed with emotion in their early 29er experiences that they cannot express it in common words, so they grasp at the words that best convey their enthusiasm. In the throws of delirium, they have been known to mis-speak.

What he meant to say was that as the wheel diameter approaches infinity, the bike will perpetuate its own motion just by virtue of its coolness, so you can stop pedaling.

-F

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    A lot of people become so overwhelmed with emotion in their early 29er experiences that they cannot express it in common words, so they grasp at the words that best convey their enthusiasm. In the throws of delirium, they have been known to mis-speak.

What he meant to say was that as the wheel diameter approaches infinity, the bike will perpetuate its own motion just by virtue of its coolness, so you can stop pedaling.

-F
    It is all relative to one's own perception of reality. Don't you have to love 'em anyway?

up n over
    Nov 2010
    Our Creator does seem to have a sense of humor.
    -ralph wiggum

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009

Damn.... I'm glad I'm not a South Fla firefighter..........

Oh wait.... I am..................

mtbr member
    It makes me smile that I'm not the only one who says "breasteses."

Members who have read this thread: 0