28 hole rims + 190 lb. rider = Death?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

28 hole rims + 190 lb. rider = Death?

Just bought a Motobecane Fly Ti 29er which comes with Vuelta 28 hole 2-cross wheels. I am trying to decide whether to replace with something stronger now, or ride and see what happens (I hit stuff pretty hard). I bought this to be a race bike, but I don't like stuff that breaks or requires lots of maintenance.

Any opinions on whether these wheels will hold up?

Cheers

mtbr member
    I'm 184 lbs and ride Bontrager Race X Lite wheels (24) hole and revolution 15/17 spokes on my rigid ss and never once had to true or ever broken a spoke. Take that for what it's worth. Vuelta stuff is a hit or miss from my experience. Bikes Direct? 2 cross, I am assuming with discs? 3 cross is a sturdier wheel. Any wheel can be cranked if you just hit stuff hard. Not trying to tell you how to ride, but cross country racing isnt about hitting things hard, but making it from a-b in the quickest time possible. More finesse I say!
    I'm not the monster here, you are. You and the rest of that fairy tale trash, poisoning my perfect world.

banned
    you probably won't have a catostrophic failure with them, they will probably just be more prone to come out of true with the lower spoke count. I say ride them until they break and then get a 32 spoke handbuilt wheelset built by a reputable wheel artisan. We have one of the best in the business right here on mtbr. (mikesee)

rider
    Jan 2005
    Not death just not a lot of fun as you will be able to flex those wheels. Not particularly confidence inspiring when that happens. Those stock wheels would be nice with road tires on them, or just ebay them.

For some real fun, treat yourself to some wide rims like the P35 from Velocity ( 600g/rim) or a set of Salsa Gordos (685g/rim), either way 36h. At your weight, you could even go to a lighter set of butted spokes than the usual 14/15/14g with a 36h wheelset.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Former Bike Wrench
    Often lower spoke count wheels have heavier rims to compensate for the lack of spokes. I rode 24 spoke Mavic CrossRoc wheels for several years (at 225lbs) and had zero issues with the rims or spokes. Those rims were so stout that they didn't need 32 spokes (same rim as the XM 819 which with 32 spokes is serious overkill).

That said, I have no idea of the durability of the Vuelta wheels. They claim hand built and tensioned so they might be OK. If your not sure though, sell them...though your probably looking at getting a couple hundred dollars at best (Bike Island sells them for $300 new shipped).

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Often lower spoke count wheels have heavier rims to compensate for the lack of spokes. I rode 24 spoke Mavic CrossRoc wheels for several years (at 225lbs) and had zero issues with the rims or spokes. Those rims were so stout that they didn't need 32 spokes (same rim as the XM 819 which with 32 spokes is serious overkill).

That said, I have no idea of the durability of the Vuelta wheels. They claim hand built and tensioned so they might be OK. If your not sure though, sell them...though your probably looking at getting a couple hundred dollars at best (Bike Island sells them for $300 new shipped).

Hmmm. Guess I might as well ride them 'til they break then. Hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised. Thanks.

Sweep the leg!
    Ask around and find a shop with a good wheel builder. Take your wheels to him and tell him they're factory built wheels. He should know what to do for you.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Members who have read this thread: 0