26" tube in a 29" wheel?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    92

    26" tube in a 29" wheel?

    Is it possible to run a 26" tube in a 29" wheel? I run tubeless without problems. When I put a 29" tube in my under-seat bag, it takes up almost all of the usable space. Easy fix -- buy a larger under-seat bag or throw the tube in my pack. But I don't want to do that. Instad, if I threw a 26" tube in my under-seat bag it would save a little space. But, would it actually work in my tire if needed? I'm running Stan's Crest wheels with Maxxis Crossmark (rear) and Ignitor (front) tires.

  2. #2
    Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Reputation: JordyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,453
    Yes, 9 out of 10 time, it works every time!

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by gearjunkie88
    Is it possible to run a 26" tube in a 29" wheel? I run tubeless without problems. When I put a 29" tube in my under-seat bag, it takes up almost all of the usable space. Easy fix -- buy a larger under-seat bag or throw the tube in my pack. But I don't want to do that. Instad, if I threw a 26" tube in my under-seat bag it would save a little space. But, would it actually work in my tire if needed? I'm running Stan's Crest wheels with Maxxis Crossmark (rear) and Ignitor (front) tires.
    Try it. You need to know if you can do it before it is needed on the trail.

    I can.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by gearjunkie88
    Is it possible to run a 26" tube in a 29" wheel? I run tubeless without problems. When I put a 29" tube in my under-seat bag, it takes up almost all of the usable space. Easy fix -- buy a larger under-seat bag or throw the tube in my pack. But I don't want to do that. Instad, if I threw a 26" tube in my under-seat bag it would save a little space. But, would it actually work in my tire if needed? I'm running Stan's Crest wheels with Maxxis Crossmark (rear) and Ignitor (front) tires.
    You can use a 26" tube, it just takes a bit of wrestling to get it in there. What I usually do is to us 26" tubes on the bike (if anywhere), but carry a 29" spare tube. That way, if I have to change a tube on the trail (which has happened to me five times in about five years or riding 29ers with tubes), I don't have to wrestle with getting the smaller tube in. But, if needing a tube is a rare thing for you, AND space is tight, then you might as well go with the smaller tube. Just test the fit first.

  5. #5
    tough guy
    Reputation: khoalie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB
    Yes, 9 out of 10 time, it works every time!
    that doesn't make sense


  6. #6
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,717
    26" Lunar Lites. Half the weight (and volume) of a regular 29er tube.

  7. #7
    The Vandal strikes again
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    132
    Tubes? What are those?
    '99 Safari

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigdrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,226
    +1

    I run tubeless, but carry 26" Lunars "just in case". When needed, I have only ever used 26" tubes on my 29ers. A little more care is needed when mounting, but 26" tubes work every time.

    And they cost less and are lighter. Whats not to like.

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    26" Lunar Lites. Half the weight (and volume) of a regular 29er tube.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    62
    I have not bothered getting 29" tubes since my first 29er flat, 5-6 years ago. It is that easy. 26" tubes fit all my wheels.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jtrops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    199
    It should be an easy install. I've run 29" tubes in my 36x2 1/4, and 26x1/38 tubes on my 26x2.3 tires. I haven't run 26 in 29, but it would be easier than the 29 in 36 that I run normally. For putting the 29 in the 36 I put one bead of the tire on, then stretch the tube around the rim. I inflate the tube a little, and start the other bead onto the rim. Check periodically to make sure that you aren't pinching the tube between the bead and the rim. Once both beads are on I inflate the tube until it is filling the space in the tire, but not so much that it is getting hard at all. Then go around the tire pinching the sides together to see if the tube is completely inside the tire, and not between the bead and the rim. Once you are sure that you don't have any pinches bring it up to pressure. The difference in weight between the 36er tube, and the 29er was like night and day. I don't expect that you'll see such a dramatic difference, but you'll probably still feel it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    54
    I must have had some big 26" tubes. I had more space when I swapped out my 26 for 29 tubes in my underseat pouch.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    754
    I just made the change to a 29er, I am glad I saw this thread as I was about to order some tubes tonight because all I have are 26" tubes. Hopefully these will work and save me some money.
    2017 Pivot Mach 5.5
    2017 SC Hightower CC
    2017 SC Tallboy 3 CC
    2013 Jackal

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    26" Lunar Lites. Half the weight (and volume) of a regular 29er tube.
    +1 The Lunar Lites work very well and are on par weight wise with 2oz's of Stan's if not lighter

  14. #14
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,717

    yep

    Quote Originally Posted by pamt
    +1 The Lunar Lites work very well and are on par weight wise with 2oz's of Stan's if not lighter
    And I for one have not had good luck with tubeless. I mean, I know why. Using old tires that leak, don't seal. I just don't particularly wanna drop phat cash on a new set of tires when tubeless is going to weigh more and cost me more money.

    I don't really have a problem with flats anyway. I guess the tubeless rolls a bit better, so that would be a reason to do it.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbiker
    I just made the change to a 29er, I am glad I saw this thread as I was about to order some tubes tonight because all I have are 26" tubes. Hopefully these will work and save me some money.
    Just inflate them a bit outside the tire to stretch them a little and you will be fine

  16. #16
    Newborn Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbiker
    I just made the change to a 29er, I am glad I saw this thread as I was about to order some tubes tonight because all I have are 26" tubes. Hopefully these will work and save me some money.

    - same here. i just got into riding a 29er and have a few boxes of 26in tubes. glad i read this thread

  17. #17
    what a joke
    Reputation: ozlongboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,277
    I pump them to a little bigger diameter then a 29er wheel and let them sit a few days. Stretches them out enough to fit them easily.
    blah blah blah

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    181
    How easy is it to get a 26" tube into a 29" tire, i.e. how quickly could it be done during a race? Do you have to wrestle with it a bit or does it just stretch over the rim without much trouble? Or would I be better off carrying a 29er tube for emergency purposes?

    Great timing on this thread - I just ordered a 29er from my LBS and feel like a noob all over again. Have my first race of the season in two weeks, so trying to figure out now what other items I'll need for the new bike. I may consider tubeless in the future but want to have some tubes ready - I've got plenty of 26" tubes.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Matches
    How easy is it to get a 26" tube into a 29" tire, i.e. how quickly could it be done during a race? Do you have to wrestle with it a bit or does it just stretch over the rim without much trouble? Or would I be better off carrying a 29er tube for emergency purposes?

    Great timing on this thread - I just ordered a 29er from my LBS and feel like a noob all over again. Have my first race of the season in two weeks, so trying to figure out now what other items I'll need for the new bike. I may consider tubeless in the future but want to have some tubes ready - I've got plenty of 26" tubes.
    In a race situation I would carry tubes that have already been pre-stretched but all you really need to do is inflate the tube (outside of the tire) to about the same diameter as the 29er tire and then put it in. It's really just that simple. If your going to use Lunar Lites or Maxxis Ultra Lites don't stretch them out to much or you will weaken them. I only carry 26" tubes and I have helped people on the trail without even pre-stretching them and they still worked.

    There's no witchcraft here guys. Folks have been running 26" tubes in 29" wheels from day one and as a bonus the average Ultra Lite 29" tube weighs in at well over 200 grams and even an El'Cheapo 26" tube around 120 so the rotational weight savings is huge!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    879
    just posted this in another 26/29 tube thread. this one is more recent ... reposting. Again - not refuting that it can't work. But try it before relying on it out in the wild.

    Not to drag this thread up from the dead ... but just in case someone else moving from 26" to 29" finds this ... you should definitely try out our 26" tube before getting out on the trail. I found that yes, it could fit, BUT my tire was also super tight ( meant for tubeless) and in combination with the tube being so tight - it was impossible to mount w/out damaging the tube. Maybe I'm an idiot, maybe I'm clumsy. YMMV. My point is this: try it out before assuming it work great. I'm thinking everything comes into play: Tire, rim, tube. It may work beautifully, it may work ok, it may be a royal pain in the a$$. Seriously, even after blowing up the tube outside the tire to a crazy size, when deflated, it was very difficult to get to stay stretched around the rim on its own - it would just try to slip right off.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    just posted this in another 26/29 tube thread. this one is more recent ... reposting. Again - not refuting that it can't work. But try it before relying on it out in the wild.

    Not to drag this thread up from the dead ... but just in case someone else moving from 26" to 29" finds this ... you should definitely try out our 26" tube before getting out on the trail. I found that yes, it could fit, BUT my tire was also super tight ( meant for tubeless) and in combination with the tube being so tight - it was impossible to mount w/out damaging the tube. Maybe I'm an idiot, maybe I'm clumsy. YMMV. My point is this: try it out before assuming it work great. I'm thinking everything comes into play: Tire, rim, tube. It may work beautifully, it may work ok, it may be a royal pain in the a$$. Seriously, even after blowing up the tube outside the tire to a crazy size, when deflated, it was very difficult to get to stay stretched around the rim on its own - it would just try to slip right off.
    I can't really imagine this. To me, a 26er tube stays in place better than a 29er, stretch it aroud the rim and it lays nicely in the rim channel with the elasticity holding it in place. Inflate it a bit before trying to seat the bead, and the tube walls stay away from the bead seat better than with the correct sized tube.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    879
    dunno...maybe I was just not being patient. Stans rim ... low sidewalls? Basically it would just slip off the rim. Its like the rim well isn't deep enough to hold it in. I didn't try inflating...although I had my own struggles with getting the tire on that basically made me decide to stick with using the 29r tube i had instead. I'll give it another whirl.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3
    jtrops: great explanation on how to do it--Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.