26" Full susp Ti or 29er Ti soft tail?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

26" Full susp Ti or 29er Ti soft tail?

Hey there. I am considering getting a full supension frame (Seven Duo) or a 29er soft tail in Ti (Moots Mooto X or Seven Teres). I have always had full suspension bikes. I live in AZ where rocky trails are the norm. I am very interested in the 29er ride quality as it compares to full suspension (3-4" cross country frames). I like the simplicity of a soft tail but I'm not sure how a 29er soft tail would ride. If I set one up with a Ti frame and a layback Ti post do you think the 29er would be close in smoothness to a 3 inch cross country frame ride? Last question, can you convert 29 inch rims to tubeless using a system like Stans? Thanks So much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

another Ti option....

is a Titus. I've got one in the works at Titus, a custom Ti Racer X 29er. Just under 3" of travel w/ your choice of shocks including the new RP3. It's the most active, best climbing/descending suspension design out there, just check out all of the reviews. I too was very very close to firing off a sizeable check to Moots for a Mooto-X YBB until I came to the realization that 1 1/8" of softail travel isn't going to be the same thing. yes it might be simpler, but the Titus is going to be almost if not less maintenance. Also, its even cheaper and it'll be a full custom. Just don't go 26", once you go 29 there's no going back.
    Cheers,
    D

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004

my .o2

I spent last year and this spring on a klein palomino, which was the best bike i've ever ridden, same design as the seven duo. But i'd always been interested in the 29er thing, and this spring with the bucks saved for a good disc wheelset and high end discs i instead bought a custom steel 29er. my 29er is built to the exact same effective tt, wheelbase and bb hight as the klein, and it is fully rigid. The amazing thing is how alike the bikes ride. I've spent the entire summer on the rigid 29er. I finally did a ride on my klein last weekend. it was a trail i'd never ridden before that is described as pretty epic, all above 10,000ft, with a 6mile climb over sharp rocks and roots, then turn around and descend the same...with a total distance over 25 miles. After some discussion i was advised to ride the full susser because of the long downhill section. the funny thing is that all i could think about was that i could have ridden the uphill portion much better with my 29er, and the entire rest of the trail would have been awesome on the 29er...however 6 miles of downhill did make me glad for suspension...but i'm thinking that a reba might make me hang up the klein for good...

ok, enough rambling, what i'm trying to say is that for 90% of my rides i've chosen a fully rigid 29er over a full sus 26er...imagine a suspended 29er...(don't even get me thinking about that...)
    Last edited by mcd; 09-09-2004 at 08:38 PM. Reason: my rambling didn't answer the question.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by steviscott
    Hey there. I am considering getting a full supension frame (Seven Duo) or a 29er soft tail in Ti (Moots Mooto X or Seven Teres). I have always had full suspension bikes. I live in AZ where rocky trails are the norm. I am very interested in the 29er ride quality as it compares to full suspension (3-4" cross country frames). I like the simplicity of a soft tail but I'm not sure how a 29er soft tail would ride. If I set one up with a Ti frame and a layback Ti post do you think the 29er would be close in smoothness to a 3 inch cross country frame ride? Last question, can you convert 29 inch rims to tubeless using a system like Stans? Thanks So much.
    How tall are you? I ask because taller riders seem to enjoy 29"ers the most, not that there aren't a bunch of 5'10 folks using them too. It's just more of a no brainer decision if you're over 6 foot something.

A Thudbusted 29"er is close to 3 inches of travel, but not quite. I haven't ridden a softail 29"er, but I expect it's not quite as plush. In general (to me) it feels like the 29" wheels add about an inch of suspension travel comfort over 26" wheels, ie 3 inches feels like 4. A rigid 29"er doesn't feel as nice as a 26" with 3 or 4" up front.

I've had good luck with Stans and 29" IRC and Kenda Tires mounted to Mavic T-520's (now called 719's). Supposedly Velocity Dyads are a touch looser and experience some blowoffs. Don't use the Bontrager ACX or Kevlar WTB products since the beads have been know to bust.