26" bike TT length vs. 29" bike TT length- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

26" bike TT length vs. 29" bike TT length

If you ride a 24.5" top tube on a 26" bike(frame), will that transfer over to a 29" bike (frame)??
    If you are going to convert to a 29" bike do you need to stretch out your normal TT length or does it matter??

Bored
    I'd say your position on a 26" bike shouldn't differ from a 29" bike. If you have geometry that fits you, I'd go the same route on a 29'er.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    I'd say your position on a 26" bike shouldn't differ from a 29" bike. If you have geometry that fits you, I'd go the same route on a 29'er.

yep, 'cause good fit is good fit.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

Recovering couch patato
    Unless you were using a stem length that was imperfect, I wouldn't adjust toptube too much. A tad longer does work nicely often, along with a shorter stem, but you don't have to.

Where's Toto?
    TT length should be the same as what you're comfortable with on a 26-inch bike. If you're going with an off the shelf frame, look for a TT that falls within an acceptable range that when combined with proper stem length, puts the bars in the same position as your current ride (assuming it fits properly). You'll also want to consider stem angles to get a proper position. Most 29er frames end up with a higher front end due to the taller wheel. This may mean you'll need a lower rise stem than your using on a 26-inch frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It seems to me that with 29er geometry most 29ers have longer TT and use shorter stems.

Nov 2005
    I learned this lesson for $1200.

Consider toe overlap, as the front wheel will be 1.5" closer to your pedal even before you put Exi's or another big fat tire on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Thanks for the input

Great thanks for all the info y'all!! I figured it would be the same, but wanted to make sure!

Members who have read this thread: 0