26" to 29" Inbred?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

26" to 29" Inbred?

I just built up a 26" Inbred 456, and I'm liking it a lot. Prior to this bike, I was riding a Giant Reign w/ a 140mm Fox Vanilla. I currently have the Inbred setup with the Fox Vanilla and it feels great. I've got the Summer Season version so I feel right at home with the slack angles on descents. That being said, it's definitely much more rough in the rock garden and rooty sections. And since Inbreds are so cheap, I'm thinking about trying the 29er.

How does a 29er w/ 100mm fork, compare to a 26er w/ 140mm fork? No plans to race with this bike, but it'd just be more of a trail bike. Not too worried about climbing, but just curious how much more plush a 29er will feel on rough, rocky descents? May be doing some small drops but nothing crazy.

I had always been a bit hesitant about the 29er thing cause I've read that it feels funny when you're in the air cause the wheels are so big. Turns out I don't like being in the air too much. And also, I'm only 5'8".

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The general theory is that 29ers feel like they add ~40mm of travel compared to 26'ers. Compared to my friend's SC Chameleon, my On-One Scandal feels about the same through the rough stuff. However, it seems like I'm able to carry more speed through these sections.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JHANguyen
    I just built up a 26" Inbred 456, and I'm liking it a lot. Prior to this bike, I was riding a Giant Reign w/ a 140mm Fox Vanilla. I currently have the Inbred setup with the Fox Vanilla and it feels great. I've got the Summer Season version so I feel right at home with the slack angles on descents. That being said, it's definitely much more rough in the rock garden and rooty sections. And since Inbreds are so cheap, I'm thinking about trying the 29er.

How does a 29er w/ 100mm fork, compare to a 26er w/ 140mm fork? No plans to race with this bike, but it'd just be more of a trail bike. Not too worried about climbing, but just curious how much more plush a 29er will feel on rough, rocky descents? May be doing some small drops but nothing crazy.

I had always been a bit hesitant about the 29er thing cause I've read that it feels funny when you're in the air cause the wheels are so big. Turns out I don't like being in the air too much. And also, I'm only 5'8".
    The 29er will not feel "plusher." It will probably be smoother.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Peace & Love
    the 456 summer season and 29er Inbred is NOT an apples to apples comparison. The summer season will dominate the Inbred 29er on chunky and/or real technical sections - this type of riding has a lot more to do with it than just wheel size. Mile to moderate technical (yeah I know...whatever that means) sure, the Inbred 29er given the larger wheels will do quite well and maybe better as others have noted.

They are an entirely different "type" of bike, both great, just depends on what you are looking for. 29er zealots who dont know any better will disagree but these are the same people who know nothing other than XC riding in which case, yeah, of course the 29er XC frame is better.

Ignore cliches about 29ers and just note that these bikes (wheel size or otherwise) have ENTIRELY different intent but depending on what you want to do with the bike, the 29er Inbred may be a far better choice.

I highly recommend both but for XC duty, my Inbred 29er has been my favorite bike to date by a mile. I only see replacing it with a correspoinding Ti version otherwise, it stays.

Having said all of the above, as badazz as my 456 (Ti version) was, my 29er version will be better but here I am not talking about a XC 29er hardtail (like the Inbred 29er) but rather a specifically designed 29er hardtail, with similar objectives to that of the 456. For pure XC duty, my Inbred 29er will remain my bike of choice.

mtbr member
    Look for a trail bike like 4,5"-5" on 29er. See Rip9 from Ninerbikes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0