24" Surly Ogre Build Thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

24" Surly Ogre Build Thread

OK - its official - i have decided to go forward with the Surly Ogre - i have been enjoying some of the other build threads, so i figured i would give it a go.... Looking to build the primary 'in-the-dirt' bike - hoping to start doing some bikepacking as well...

I am 6' 6" 230# and i have been riding for most of my life, but not so much in the last 10 years except since the last few when i got a Kona unit2-9 single speed that i have been loving and officially got me back in the game. looking to get off my butt and get into shape again.

The build plan (it will be interesting to see how much of this actually sticks)....

Fork: Rock Shox Reba
    Crankset & BB: Shimano XT 3x10
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Cog or Cogset : Shimano XT
    Chain: Shimano XT
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Brakes: Avid Elixir R
    Brake Levers: Avid Elixir R
    Shifters: Shimano XT
    Stem: FSA OS170
    Handlebar: TBD - want some sweep
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V Race
    Seatpost: Generic
    Hubs: Shimano XT
    Rims: Stanís tubeless
    Tires : WTB WeirWolf 29 x 2.5"

Stuff has changed a ton since i last built a bike so i plan on buying my frame from a local shop and paying them to install the fork and bottom bracket and whatever else kicks my butt. All the parts are likely coming from bikerbob.... Frame is backordered, so it may be a while before i get to post again, but pretty bloody excited to be on path...

thoughts on the build so far before i start placing orders?

brian

Robtre
    Good to know your height and weight I am 6'4" 220 I am think I am getting the 20" frame

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

24" Surly Ogre Build Thread

Brian,

Good to find you here. I am shopping for a mountain bike and stumbled onto the Ogre. It seems to me that the Ogre is one of the few production bikes big enough for us guys (6'6 3/4", 35" inseam, 215lbs). What other frames were in the running for you?

Your bike build looks good, I may be copying it down the road, although I think I'll probably end up with an internally geared rear wheel and a single speed rear wheel for easy swap outs.

Good luck and please keep us up to date on how the build is going.

Ben

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I love my xxl Karate Monkey (24") TT. Did you look into the KM? I'm 6'4" 230 lbs as well. I'm running 2x9 and 26-36 up front and bash guard. 3x10 seem like a lot of gears, unless you have real hills and/ or need low touring gears. I'm running purgatory 2.4's on velocity p35's , nice, fat and wide. Great grip and traction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I didn't know they made a 24" karate monkey. Surly's website says the KM only goes up to 22", I believe. I'll have to check in to that. What does TT stand for?

Thanks,Ben

Recovering couch patato
    I'm 6'4" and the XL 22" KM is a glove-like fit. If you measure the seat tube like 99.9% of the bike brands do, it's 23.4" at least for the one I have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've seen Ogre with Halo Twin Rails and it didn't look like much bigger tire would fit. Don't think it will fit WW2.5LTs

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by -5150- View Post
    I've seen Ogre with Halo Twin Rails and it didn't look like much bigger tire would fit. Don't think it will fit WW2.5LTs
    According to Surly the FFF (fatties fit fine) stays on the Ogre will fit up to a 29x2.5 tire and as we are beginning to learn the Weirwolf 29x2.5 is only @ 2.1 wide at best (search forums, been documented), so I doubt the OP will have any issues.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Not to be obtuse, as I'm sure you've really considered the geometry, but are you all torso?

I'm only asking, because at 6'5 with a 36" inseam, I find that XXL bikes just get too cumbersome. I can only imagine how close the boys will be on a 24" ST bike, and that's if you have legs as long as mine. You're seriously talking about close to a 36" standover!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi, fatpig
    How did you get on with the Ogre build? I'm keen to know because I'm looking for a cross country bike and feel this would fit the bill.
    I'm from the UK but seem to buy/need US bikes* to fit my size - 6'8", 36" inside leg and 250lbs. I would welcome any suggestions from other forum members as to what bikes I should consider given my size and needs. The bikes I've shortlisted so far are the Ogre and the Salsa Fargo - although I believe they stopped making the Fargo in XXL.
    Thanks for reading.
    Mick

*I currently run a Gary Fisher Zebrano hybrid in a 25" frame (but it's starting to break apart) and a Cannondale Saecco road bike in a massive 66cm frame size.

Bedwards Of The West
    Curious to see this big Ogre also. I'm 6'2+ and I have a 22" Ogre. It fits me great. There are some great Ogre builds in a couple of threads in the Surly forum also, just FYI. There's at least one 24" in there.
    As for tires, I had Big Apple 2.35's on mine, with room for fenders. I'd think a true 2.5 fatty would indeed fit fine.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    sorry there fellas - i had a last min change on this one and forgot i posted this.... found an XL niner air9 on a screaming deal that re-directed me.... i would still like to build an ogre, but on the back burner for now....

Members who have read this thread: 0