Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-1-min.jpg

The geometry, aesthetics, and weights of Chinese open mold XC frames have substantially progressed within the last year while costs remain extremely low. In August of last year, for example, a frame was opened and licensed to three companies (marketed as Pro-Mance M9007/M7007, Hongfu HF-FM258, and TanTan FM078). Some additional adjustments were made to the mold: Hongfu modified the top-tube/seat-tube junction to resemble the Scott Spark while Pro-Mance introduced a boost option. Additionally, Pro-Mance is able to custom manufacture an ultralight T800/T1000 carbon fiber version of this frame (about 150g lighter). Of any XC 29er open mold, this frame looks to be the most aggressive, with the geometry being remarkably similar to the Scott Spark and the weight being the lowest of any chiner FS frame to date. That is, until the new Workswell frame hits the market later this summer.

I bought a 19” boost M9007 frame from Pro-Mance with ultralight T800/T1000 construction. Trailside weight of my build is just under 21 lbs. I am very impressed by the character and handling of the bike, not to mention the weight.

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-3-min.jpg

CONSTRUCTION & FEATURES
    The T800/T1000 ultralight M9007 boost frame from Pro-Mance is claimed to be 1850g for a 19”, though my frame (with derailleur hanger, cable routing ports, and shock mounting hardware) weighed 2020g. I did have it painted, but the weight is still heavier than anticipated.

The suspension linkage is carbon. Frame hardware is alloy. There is no squeaking or creaking through suspension compressions, an issue I have had with ICAN frames where plastic hardware was used. The shock hardware (two sets of 1" recessed bolts and M6 allen screws) provided with the frame are compatible with the 8mm x 21.8mm (0.860) 5-piece Fox Shock hardware kits provided online (Worldwide Cyclery). Order two kits, one for the top and one for the bottom of the shock. The rear axle is heavy, I recommend an upgrade.

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-7-min.jpg

The internal routing is easy to set up, thanks to an accessible and thoughtful layout of the ports. The rear brake and derailleur cable are routed underneath the bottom bracket where they are susceptible to damage on impact. The rear brake caliper is mounted on the seat stay, while the cable routing port is on the inside of the chainstay and quite close to the axle, making for an awkward routing situation.

A single bottle mount on the downtube fits medium and small bottles. The frame is dropper compatible and should fit long travel posts. The bottom-bracket shell is press-fit.

I went with the boost M9007 frame to be certain I can ride 27.5x3.0 tires in addition to my 29x2.25 pair. There is probably not enough clearance for a knobbier or wider tire in the rear. The chainring clearance is also quite limited, I don’t think a 38T would fit, and I haven’t tested a 36T, but that would be tight as well. No chainstay protector mechanism is built into the frame, so you’ll want to find your own solution for that.

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-4-min.jpg

GEOMETRY
    The M9007’s geometry falls into the aggressive XC category, with numbers very similar to the Scott Spark, though not identical.
    21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-geometry.jpg

BUILD KIT
    Following proper weight weenie protocol, I gram-counted everything. However, I bored of this attitude and shifted towards putting together a smashing race-ready build. The trailside weight is just under 21 pounds. Sub-20 certainly was possible.

Suspension
    The suspension is Fox Factory, with a boost Float 32 SC up front and a Float 6.5”x1.5” DPS shock in the rear. Neither have remote lockout.

Drivetrain
    The drivetrain includes a RaceFace Next SL G4 crankset with OneUp boost 32T round/oval Switch chainring, SRAM XG-1195 cassette, and Shimano XTR 1x11 derailleur/shifter.
    21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-5-min.jpg

Brakes
    Brakes are XTR Race with Ashima AI2 rotors. The power is not great, but enough for my Midwest XC riding.
    21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-11-min.jpg

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-8-min.jpg

Cockpit
    The cockpit is the popular padded carbon saddle from Aliexpress (absolutely recommend), a Chiner 720mm flat carbon handlebar (tried 7 models, this is the only one stiff enough for me), Kalloy Uno 60mm -7o stem, silicone grips (orange are on the way), and a Chiner carbon seatpost.
    21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-10-min.jpg

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-12-min.jpg

Wheelset
    A 1280g wheelset from Speedsafe helped keep things light and affordable. Boost DT Swiss 350 hubs were laced to monocoque 310g 24mm-wide 29er carbon rims with Pillar Xtra-Aero spokes and Pillar alloy nipples. Wheels were excellently tensioned and trued and shipped within 2 weeks. Tubeless setup required an air compressor due to hookless sidewalls. Order from Aliexpress. Speedsafe knows their stuff, I highly recommend them. I’ll write a separate review on the Speedsafe wheels after a thousand miles. At present they feel featherweight and I love the stiffness. I am mainly interested in the rim durability long-term.

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-9-min.jpg

Tires
    Tires are Maxxis Ikon 29x2.25 3C/EXO Skinwall, and I’ll ride them till they break and then get something different—maybe an Ardent in the front and an Aspen in the rear. Traction is not as anticipated. Tubeless setup.
    21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-6-min.jpgOther parts
    Lots of little details also shave weight. Some Ti bolts, Syntace rear axle, carbon seatpost clamp, lightweight shift cable housing, stingy amounts of sealant, XTR pedals, carbon bottle cage, etc.

RIDE IMPRESSIONS
    I have just 30 miles of Michigan singletrack on this bike so far, but I am incredibly pleased with the feel. A friend of mine also bought a Spark RC Pro bike, and I’ve got to say the bikes would feel identical except that my bike is 3 pounds lighter. We both come from hardtails, so we are absolutely shredding the gnar and loving every mile. At 6’2” the 19” frame size is working well for me, although I might go for a 21” if it becomes an option.

I think you can read any Spark review and apply the characteristics and handling of the ride to this frame. At 21 pounds, acceleration on my build is almost effortless--it climbs like a goat and descends like a beast. It shines most in the technical climbs, there just isn’t a bike built any better for these sections than a lightweight FS with a steep HTA.

AVAILABILITY & LOGISTICS
    Hongfu, Tantan, and Pro-Mance are all stocking this frame in 15”, 17”, and 19” sizes. If you want boost, go with Pro-Mance, if you want a Spark-esque seat tube/top tube junction, go with Hongfu. I was personally very happy with the customer service that Al Zhu at Pro-Mance provided. He was always fast to reply, transparent about how things were going, and handled my special requests patiently. I recommend negotiating on the price. Hongfu has a special pre-order offer at the moment, but chances are Pro-Mance can match that price.

I waited 4 months to get my frame. I ordered something that was not in stock, needed custom-cut paint decals, and I ordered right before 3 weeks of Chinese New Year holidays. But I also got a good price. I recommend avoiding my mistakes to help speed things up for you. You can get frames that are in stock in as quickly as two weeks.
    Last edited by sissypants; 05-04-2018 at 04:20 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    great review and great looking bike.

I ran the Ikons all last year and I was also not impressed. They feel awful on the front. My new Blur has Aspens F/R and they are much better although I'm sure their durability is not great.

For a chainstay protector I would cut a tube down into a 1-2" section and start at the bb side, wrap it around and zip tie off the end. Been doing that for years and I think it looks clean.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Nice build. Your brakes are way to close to your grips. Do you use 2 fingers to brake?
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Nice build. Your brakes are way to close to your grips. Do you use 2 fingers to brake?
    Yep, personal preference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    great review and great looking bike.

I ran the Ikons all last year and I was also not impressed. They feel awful on the front. My new Blur has Aspens F/R and they are much better although I'm sure their durability is not great.

For a chainstay protector I would cut a tube down into a 1-2" section and start at the bb side, wrap it around and zip tie off the end. Been doing that for years and I think it looks clean.
    Thanks, I'll have to try your tube trick. Sounds straightforward and shouldn't look too bad either.

mtbr member
    Pretty hard for me to believe that bike is 21 pounds. How good is that scale you used?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Can you show a close-up of rear tire clearance? Awesome build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    Pretty hard for me to believe that bike is 21 pounds. How good is that scale you used?
    I'll take a pic tonight. It's a good scale For once my predicted weight was right on.

Frame: Pro-mance Boost FS 29er T800 19" (2020g)
    Fork: 2017 Fox Float 32 29" SC boost factory orange (1350g)
    Shock: 2016 Fox Float Factory 6.5" x 1.5" DPS (221g)
    Shifter Cable: Jagwire SL (50g)
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 tapered integrated (110g)
    Thru-Axle: Syntace 12x148mm (40g)
    Crankset: Race Face Next SL orange (360g)
    Bottom Bracket: RaceFace BB92 30mm (106g)
    Chainring Carrier: OneUp Switch boost cinch standard (40g)
    Chainring: OneUp 32T round Switch (45g)
    Cassette: SRAM X01 XG-1195 (254g)
    Chain: KMC X11SL (245g)
    Shifter: Shimano XTR M9000 11s (118g)
    Derailleur: Shimano XTR M9000 11s GS (221g)
    Brakes: Shimano XTR M9000 Race (400g)
    Rotors: Ashima AI2 160mm (170g)
    Saddle: Padded carbon saddle (134g)
    Seatpost: UD matte carbon 31.6mm 400mm (180g)
    Stem: Kalloy Uno 60mm -7-degree (80g)
    Handlebar: 720mm 31.8 carbon (135g)
    Grips: Silicone w/ end caps (21g)
    Pedals: Shimano M9000 SPD (301g)
    Wheelset: Speedsafe 29" carbon, DT 350 straight-pull, Pillar X-tra aero spokes, alloy nipples, XD (1300g)
    Tires: Maxxis Ikon 29x2.25 3C/EXO skinwall (1370g)
    Tubeless Setup: Sealant, black Presta Valves, Tesa tape (100g)
    Bottle Cages: Carbon 16g (32g)
    GPS: Garmin 250 w/ mount (100g)

Total predicted weight: 9.50 kg / 20.9 lbs

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Tubeless setup required an air compressor due to hookless sidewalls.

What does this mean, specifically?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    What does this mean, specifically?
    The rims aren't hooked, they are hookless, so there is nothing to engage with the bead until there is enough pressure or sealant to keep them in place. A bike pump doesn't pump air into a tire fast enough to set the bead on a hookless rim. It takes an air compressor.

The rims aren't hooked, they are hookless, so there is nothing to engage with the bead until there is enough pressure or sealant to keep them in place. A bike pump doesn't pump air into a tire fast enough to set the bead on a hookless rim. It takes an air compressor.
    UUUhhh. Sorry to say but this is not how it works. The seal is between the bead of the tire and the flat part of the rim. Rims have a valley for mounting and this the area that doesn't seal the bead. You need to force the bead out of this valley and up over the bead retention ridges(if it's a tubeless rim). Hook or hookless doesn't have any effect on initial seating of a tire.

mtbr member
    UUUhhh. Sorry to say but this is not how it works. The seal is between the bead of the tire and the flat part of the rim. Rims have a valley for mounting and this the area that doesn't seal the bead. You need to force the bead out of this valley and up over the bead retention ridges(if it's a tubeless rim). Hook or hookless doesn't have any effect on initial seating of a tire.
    Ah, sorry for my misunderstanding! So it is.

You're fundamentally misunderstanding the way this works. Hooked vs. hookless has nothing to do with it. I build a few hundred hookless rims into wheels every year, and almost all of them allow easy inflation/bead seating with a floor pump.

The overall diameter of the rim and the shape of the rim bed, as well as the size, shape, and dimensions of the tire bead dictate whether they'll inflate with a floor pump.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Always wondered what rear shock tune would work with these Chinese frames. Been happy with my 057 29er HT 19" for a winter gravel type MTB. I could take the 057 parts and put on a non-boost 29er frame. Gotta take a look at the geometry. Thanks for the good report!

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    guy builds a bike and posts a review, guys come on to nitpick stupid things trying to make themselves sound all high and mighty.

Thanks for taking time to make this post despite some "people" making useless off topic posts to try and derail the thread.

What bolts did you end up needing/getting from the Hardware store? Thank you
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What would you say your total investment is?

Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    guy builds a bike and posts a review, guys come on to nitpick stupid things trying to make themselves sound all high and mighty.

Thanks for taking time to make this post despite some "people" making useless off topic posts to try and derail the thread.

Based on what you've written here, as well as the "reason" that you gave when you neg repped me just now, I can only assume you're 10 years old. Best of luck in your teens.

Formerly of Kent
    Why?

I have many parts that are slightly heavier and my bike is just under 23lbs. Perfectly reasonable weight, for the components and frame he has.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by firebike7 View Post
    What would you say your total investment is?
    It was very economical. Definitely much cheaper than a name-brand equivalent.
    Last edited by sissypants; 05-04-2018 at 05:07 AM.

its a bike review, not a bike critique
    Why would pointing out something on a bike deserve a negative rep? Yesterday my buddy had new brakes put on. They were level I asked if thats how he liked them? He said no and we moved them.

mtbr member
    Great looking build. Thinking about getting one of these frames and moving what I can over from my HT.

I run my levers close to the grip too. I've got smallish hands and grip the end of the bar.

Nov 2015
    You guys dont get it do you? Nobody cares about brake lever position or hooked vs hookless beads in a bike review. They could care less how he positions his levers, how many wheels youve built or how hooked vs hookless beads work in this thread yet you guys had to go out of your way to assert your "authority" on those subjects. Clearly you got my message now move on.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by winters.benjamin View Post
    Can you show a close-up of rear tire clearance? Awesome build.
    I completely take back my initial impressions on tire clearance, there is a bit of space in there. These are Maxxis Ikon 29x2.25 set up tubeless on 24mm-wide rims.

Chainstay clearance
    21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-chainstay-clearance-ss.jpg

Seatstay clearance
    21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-seatstay-clearance.jpg

Out spokin'
    Amazing build! Not the bike I want but that's what's awesome about cycling -- we each get to build the machine we personally like best. You got yours -- nicely done.

I could throw my frame & shock away and what's left over would still weigh more than your bike. Crazy!

Do I see Phillips head hardware holding your shock in place? Not a knock, just curious.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

You guys dont get it do you? Nobody cares about brake lever position or hooked vs hookless beads in a bike review. They could care less how he positions his levers, how many wheels youve built or how hooked vs hookless beads work in this thread yet you guys had to go out of your way to assert your "authority" on those subjects. Clearly you got my message now move on.

Nobody in this thread was asking for your uninformed editorial, either. Yet here it is. Perhaps you should move on?

mtbr member
    On the money...

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-weight-whole-bike-ss.jpg

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-weight-scale-ss.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Do I see Phillips head hardware holding your shock in place?
    Yep you do. The Phillips bolt and hex nut is a temporary solution until I can find a solution for the long-term. The hardware provided with the frame wasn't compatible with the Fox Shock mounting kit, or any other shock spacers that I'm aware of (Rockshox Monarch)

super lite. I would route the brake line on the inside of your fork to better protect it.
    Suck it LaneDetroitCity

Out spokin'
    On second thought,
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I completely take back my initial impressions on tire clearance, there is a bit of space in there. These are Maxxis Ikon 29x2.25 set up tubeless on 24mm-wide rims.

Chainstay clearance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chainstay clearance - ss.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	1196065

Seatstay clearance

Name:	seatstay clearance.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	1196067
    This is fantastic.

If I send you some cash (I'm being serious here) would you pick up a 29x2.35 Forekaster and throw it on the back then take a pic? I can do PayPal or ACH or whatever you like.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the bike, glad you like it and hit your budget, but, I'd like to see some actual riding video of you "smashing" that through some of this chunk you say you ride it through and update this thread on how that frame holds up the first time you eat it properly.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Congrats on the bike, glad you like it and hit your budget, but, I'd like to see some actual riding video of you "smashing" that through some of this chunk you say you ride it through and update this thread on how that frame holds up the first time you eat it properly.
    LOL he said shredding gnar in Michigan....
    18 Focus Raven Lite
    17 Focus o1e
    17 Yeti ASR-cT
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Fair, I might put together a video review sooner or later. I'll post up in a week or two when I get around to that.

I wonder if irishpitbull has ever ridden in Michigan?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Fair, I might put together a video review sooner or later. I'll post up in a week or two when I get around to that.

I live there. Please point me in the direction of the Michigan gnar...
    18 Focus Raven Lite
    17 Focus o1e
    17 Yeti ASR-cT
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Go ride Copper Harbor, Marquette, Ishpeming, sections of the North Country Trail, and the High Country Pathway IMBA Epic. I live in Grand Rapids where the Michigan gnar is far and few between, but Sawtooth (Merrell Trail), Owasippe (black diamond loop), and Yankee Springs (devil's soup bowl) fit the bill.

Dwarfed, of course, by the Rockies.

"Michigan Gnar" at Copper Harbor (Trailforks photo)
    21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-p5pb8223077.jpg

Out spokin'
    Suck it LaneDetroitCity
    Concise & well stated. He/she/it neg-repped me too, though I can't exactly blame him/her/it for that. I admit my pre-edited comment suggesting he/she/it promptly die in a fire went a little over the top.
    =sParty
    P.S. Apologies to sissypants for mucking up this thread. Carry on...
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Well, I have no clue, unless maybe you name a trail that I might have seen a video of. I always thought most east coast US trails where rocky and tech, but after riding with a few people from there and talking to them, it seems to be very region specific to get the real gnar and chunk.

LOL he said shredding gnar in Michigan....

mtbr member
    WOW, now that's my kind of trail

"Michigan Gnar" at Copper Harbor (Trailforks photo)

Name:	p5pb8223077.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	1196134

Nov 2015
    I emailed the company. $658 for the light version, $595 for normal. 1785g ,1860g thats 17.5" frames.

mtbr member
    I emailed the company. $658 for the light version, $595 for normal. 1785g ,1860g thats 17.5" frames.
    And $80 for EMS shipping to USA (took 12 days total for me), ~$70+ for painting.

Stone Jack Baller
    Did someone ask mikesee how many wheels he’s built?

Nice build!

Nov 2015
    And $80 for EMS shipping to USA (took 12 days total for me), ~$70+ for painting.
    Thank you.

What bolts did you get from the hardware store to mount that shock? Thanks

Out spokin'
    Ah, I get it now. You're short.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Thank you.

What bolts did you get from the hardware store to mount that shock? Thanks
    M6 diameter, I believe. Could be wrong, M5 or M6, 1.25" is long enough. The diameter fit snugly in the Fox barrel spacer from the kit sold online.

I should add you need to get TWO fox spacer kits (yes, $30) because they only sell one barrel and two spacers per kit. You will be able to use the two Fox kits to space the shock perfectly in the frame, you'll only need to improvise on the thru-bolts.

Nov 2015
    M6 diameter, I believe. Could be wrong, M5 or M6, 1.25" is long enough. The diameter fit snugly in the Fox barrel spacer from the kit sold online.

I should add you need to get TWO fox spacer kits (yes, $30) because they only sell one barrel and two spacers per kit. You will be able to use the two Fox kits to space the shock perfectly in the frame, you'll only need to improvise on the thru-bolts.
    Thank you for the nice review and the detailed information. Its 1/3 the cost of a name brand with those same parts. Im hoping the long term durability holds up, thats why they have a warranty though!

mtbr member
    Great review and build. Thanks for all the time and effort. Kudos for providing very even handed responses to a few snarky questions that bordered on disbelief.
    2015 Pivot Mach 429 Carbon
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Thank you for the nice review and the detailed information. Its 1/3 the cost of a name brand with those same parts. Im hoping the long term durability holds up, thats why they have a warranty though!
    2-year warranty isn't bad, and these agents are true to their word. For example, I cracked an ICAN chainstay while riding in excessively tough terrain. ICAN promptly shipped two chainstays with hardware by DHL express, painted to match the color I previously ordered--for free!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Really nice! Which saddle is that exactly? looks promising.

mtbr member
    These look to be the same frame?

https://www.instagram.com/megamo_bicycles/

Guy competed the Cape Epic on one,

https://www.instagram.com/martinfanger/?hl=en

The White Jeff W
    Go ride Copper Harbor, Marquette, Ishpeming, sections of the North Country Trail, and the High Country Pathway IMBA Epic. I live in Grand Rapids where the Michigan gnar is far and few between, but Sawtooth (Merrell Trail), Owasippe (black diamond loop), and Yankee Springs (devil's soup bowl) fit the bill.

Dwarfed, of course, by the Rockies.
    Sorry to yet again derail the thread but is the North Country Trail open to bikes in MI? Around here (Western PA) it's foot travel only.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastezzie View Post
    Really nice! Which saddle is that exactly? looks promising.
    $29 134g carbon shell saddle with microfiber cover and hard foam padding from Aliexpress. Comes in gloss and matte, for some reason my gloss saddles are 15g lighter than matte saddles.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MTB-...766321631.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    These look to be the same frame?

https://www.instagram.com/megamo_bicycles/

Guy competed the Cape Epic on one,

https://www.instagram.com/martinfanger/?hl=en
    Good eyes! That definitely looks like retail arbitrage. It's one way small companies can avoid up-front costs associated with opening molds and mass manufacturing.

I can't find it on their website though, so where is this at? Technically I think there are licensing issues that I hope they sorted out if they actually are selling this.

chasing simplicity
    Looks like the Hongfu Spark model in boost is now available. Very close geo to RC 900. 1950g. $806 shipped.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018...854379761.html

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-screen-shot-2018-05-02-7.14.25-pm.jpg
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Dude... kudos on the build and congrats ! Impressive to see that bike coming in @ 21lbs
    Appreciate the post.

mtbr member
    Good eyes! That definitely looks like retail arbitrage. It's one way small companies can avoid up-front costs associated with opening molds and mass manufacturing.

I can't find it on their website though, so where is this at? Technically I think there are licensing issues that I hope they sorted out if they actually are selling this.
    Here,

https://www.megamo.com/en/113/cycles/mountain.html

Looks like the same frame.

transmitter~receiver
    Nice ride.
    Those pan head machine screws caught my eye, but do what you gotta, right?
    You'd be surprised how much paint weighs.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Formerly of Kent
    OP:

Thought these might be of interest. Add a Ti bolt and you’re set.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192327778035

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Thought these might be of interest. Add a Ti bolt and you’re set.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192327778035
    Thanks, those bolts are awesome!

Turns out I ordered the wrong size shock kit. Just yesterday I got it to work and figured out my mistake.

To fit a Fox shock in the M9007 frame, just order TWO Fox 5-piece Mounting Hardware Kits (8mm x 21.8mm) from Worldwide Cyclery. You won't need anything else.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ece-aluminum-2
    Last edited by sissypants; 09-26-2018 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Excellent prices. My 19" is out of stock 40 days.
    Or pay more for https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018...ceBeautifyAB=0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    No guarantees the Aliexpress frame will ship in 40 days either. Sellers have all kinds of strategies for getting around processing time restrictions.

40 days isn't actually that bad. I waited for more like 80.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    A will have to do.

You going to Nats in July by chance? I'm in setting goals mode after clinching the State Championship series last weekend.
    Won't be there. I departed the racing scene after completing my final Cascade Cream Puff in 2011 at age 58. I only ever really enjoyed doing endurance events but OMG that brutal thing stopped being fun after age 55! I just ride for fun these days. Fortunately retirement affords plenty of time for fun.

Best of luck achieving your cycling goals this year. Better watch out for sissypants if he shows up with his nearly weightless whip!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Nov 2015
    How much useless off topic drivel are you guys going to post on this mans bike build and review? Some of us are trying to actually gain some knowledge and information on this thread.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Im also a 19/21 are you saying you asked this Pro Mance company specifically and they said 40 days? Thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks, those bolts are awesome! A steel version of these bolts was provided with the frame, but now I can get the diameter for my shock kit.

Turns out I ordered the wrong size shock kit. Just yesterday I got it to work and figured out my mistake.

To fit a Fox shock in the M9007 frame, just order TWO Fox 5-piece Mounting Hardware Kits (8mm x 21.8mm) from Worldwide Cyclery. You won't need anything else.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ece-aluminum-2
    Sissypants, on my chiners I use the http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html NBKRWC2220
    This fits the Monarch Eyelet and replaces the bushing into a needle bearing and reduces friction.

Here a drawing of the monarch shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesrg View Post
    Sissypants, on my chiners I use the RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS, 6MM & 8MM NBKRWC2220
    This fits the Monarch Eyelet and replaces the bushing into a needle bearing and reduces friction.

Here a drawing of the monarch shock.
    Those kits are very nice! At a tad over the price of 2 Fox hardware kits I would definitely go for RWC hardware next time. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    At 6’2” the 19” frame size is working well for me, although I might go for a 21” if it becomes an option.

I put off a purchase of the Hongfu version because I felt like I was forcing the 19” frame because it was a good deal.

What length stem are you using? Have you experimented with different lengths? I currently ride a 20” Chiner and my seat is slammed back and my stem is 110mm. My seat position is less than ideal as it puts my knee too far behind the pedal axle.

I’m 6’2”.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Meanwhile back on topic: your bike build is truly amazing. I've never ridden a bike close to the weightlessness of yours; can't even imagine what that must feel like. I have, however, broken the frame of a bike that weighed 5# more. {gasp} May you never experience such disappointment.
    =sParty
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    I put off a purchase of the Hongfu version because I felt like I was forcing the 19” frame because it was a good deal.

What length stem are you using? Have you experimented with different lengths? I currently ride a 20” Chiner and my seat is slammed back and my stem is 110mm. My seat position is less than ideal as it puts my knee too far behind the pedal axle.

I’m 6’2”.
    I'm only on a 60mm stem, and I'm 6'2" as well. I also have my seat as far back as possible. It's not where I like it right now. I have a bit of stem length experimenting to do. I think a longer stem length with more negative rise will get me happy with the fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm only on a 60mm stem, and I'm 6'2" as well. I also have my seat as far back as possible. It's not where I like it right now. I have a bit of stem length experimenting to do. I think a longer stem length with more negative rise will get me happy with the fit.
    I’m running a 660mm bar and I see you are at 720. Maybe that is the geo fix with this 19” frame. 90mm stem w a 720mm bar.

I recently had a bike fit and the slammed saddled is less than optimal for sure. One knee/hip is sore on 2+ hour rides. Went away after the fit with proper knee/cleat alignment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Excellent review. Detailed, concise, lots of useful information.

How's the stiffness of the linkage? I found this to be a significant weak point with my CS-036 frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I’m 6’2”.
    I'm 6'3" and have been on 21" 036, 057 and M06. To help on the fit I drew the frame on BikeCad and then put my dimensions on top.
    Have a look here.

I'm adding info to the wiki database with fit so it's easier to browse and find an ideal frame. If you want to check: here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Regardless of how you feel about another person on this site, lowering your standard to start calling people names is not allowed. Please stop doing that.

If you have a comment about this build, please post it here.

If you want to talk about trails or anything else not related to this build go find another thread or start your own thread.

If you have a problem with the direction this thread is taking please report the posts, do not try and police the thread yourself.

Thanks.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Name:	1-min.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	1195991
    In your research, what was your take on the position of the rear brake mount. There are other models that have the mount lower on the chain stay. Do you think this makes a difference?
    Name:  Rear Brake.PNG
Views: 2953
Size:  269.9 KB

mtbr member
    nice
    2015 Pivot Mach 429 Carbon
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    Excellent review. Detailed, concise, lots of useful information.

How's the stiffness of the linkage? I found this to be a significant weak point with my CS-036 frame.
    The carbon fiber linkage is secured to the frame parts with alloy bolts that, when properly fastened, leave no play, squeaking, or creaking that plagues other Chinese frames I've ridden. No side-to-side torquing, noticeable flex, it's great! I don't know how much lateral stiffness will deteriorate with wear, but I don't have reason to anticipate issues.

mtbr member
    In your research, what was your take on the position of the rear brake mount. There are other models that have the mount lower on the chain stay. Do you think this makes a difference?
    Name:  Rear Brake.PNG
Views: 2953
Size:  269.9 KB
    It would only make a difference to me if I looked backwards while riding and got annoyed seeing my brake on the chainstay. Power is fine, it doesn't affect suspension feel as far as I can tell, the cable is secured very well by the routing port so even if the linkage moved radically there wouldn't be issues with noisy cables. I personally wouldn't worry about it. There seem to be some people that care, though, not sure why. I can see why it would be a good thing to have it further off the ground and away from debris.

I'd bet you can coordinate with Al to get it made how you like -- boost or non-boost with the brake mounted on the chainstay. It doesn't have to be model-specific.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesrg View Post
    I'm 6'3" and have been on 21" 036, 057 and M06. To help on the fit I drew the frame on BikeCad and then put my dimensions on top.
    Have a look here.

I'm adding info to the wiki database with fit so it's easier to browse and find an ideal frame. If you want to check: here
    I like the idea and the website is great, but I'd keep in mind your style will also impact your fit. My rides are race-pace, so I need a longer reach and low position. I really need a longer stem, but I don't like the slow-steer feel of long stems. And yes, the wider bars are a huge help--I'm always grasping at the ends.

Watch the guys on the XCO circuit and observe how they are positioned on their bikes--low and slack, with seemingly oversized frames, medium-length stems, and forward-mounted saddles for optimal leverage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That's damn light. Are you gonna splurge for the lighter layup?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I like the idea and the website is great, but I'd keep in mind your style will also impact your fit. My rides are race-pace, so I need a longer reach and low position. I really need a longer stem, but I don't like the slow-steer feel of long stems. And yes, the wider bars are a huge help--I'm always grasping at the ends.

Watch the guys on the XCO circuit and observe how they are positioned on their bikes--low and slack, with seemingly oversized frames, medium-length stems, and forward-mounted saddles for optimal leverage.
    We are not that different, I'm Cat2 racer here. Just got 2nd on Iron Furnace last weekend. I also demand an aggressive position. I've a 70mm stem on my M06. I just commented the bikecad for people who are doing their first build and want to compare with their current bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sissypants,

Looking on pro-Mance site I dont see a M7009 frame. I see two versions of the M7007 frame. One is the one that will also run oversized 27.5 and then there appears to be a M7007II frame that is straight up 29er. If you picked one of these can you talk about why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by artsn View Post
    Sissypants,

Looking on pro-Mance site I dont see a M7009 frame. I see two versions of the M7007 frame. One is the one that will also run oversized 27.5 and then there appears to be a M7007II frame that is straight up 29er. If you picked one of these can you talk about why?
    I agree that the model numbers are confusing. I bought the M9007 frame, I believe, although in the end my agreement with the agent was for an ultralight boost 29er frame which he referred to as an "M9007 with special boost modification". I wanted a frame that would run 27.5+ tires in the winter and 29 tires in the summer.

mtbr member
    This is fantastic.
    I picked up a Maxxis Forekaster 29x2.35 (thank you Ben!) and threw it on my 24mm wide carbon rim on the rear wheel. Setup was a breeze, required just the hands, some Stans, and a handheld pump. I'll set aside the technical details about how tire beads set upon inflation as there are apparently strong opinions on this topic. The tire was not as wide as anticipated. It measured almost exactly the same width as my Maxxis Ikons (~2.10", advertised at 2.25"). However, the slightly bigger knobbies still decreased clearance by a few millimeters.

But there is still PLENTY of clearance. I'm almost certain that a 29x2.4" Ardent would fit no problem. Not so sure about 29x2.6" though. I look forward to seeing what 27.5+ tires will fit this winter.

Chainstay Clearance (90mm between outer nobbies and narrowest point)
    21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-imgonline-com-ua-compresstosize-pirjakpwpjnv5.jpg

Another view of Chainstay clearance
    21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-imgonline-com-ua-compresstosize-e8gtbvkpvsu.jpg

Seatstay Clearance (not the limiting factor)
    21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-imgonline-com-ua-compresstosize-1rzvo0tj9an5s.jpg

I did take the Ikons for a ride tonight before setting up the Forekaster. The trail was moist and the leaves were raked from the trails, riding was really awesome. I had great traction and could attack the corners. This is in sharp contrast to the dusty and leafy conditions which were very disappointing on the Ikons. The Forekaster should make for a better all-around tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-imgonline-com-ua-compresstosize-qmy8joipxfw.jpg  

mtbr member
    I would like more information on the wheel set. Hard to see how they could be 1300g with DT350s.

Great looking build!
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    I would like more information on the wheel set. Hard to see how they could be 1300g with DT350s.
    Well, it's pretty reasonable. The rims are approximately 310g each, DT 350s are about 80g heavier than DT240s, so it's not a huge difference, Pillar X-tra aero spokes are quite light per piece as well. I put the wheelset on my gram scale and it weighed in at 1280g as I remember.

This is what I ordered: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1280...837989272.html

I will do a long-term review at the end of the season. So far they do the job without getting noticed! Tire setup was easy and the bang-for-buck is awesome so far.

mtbr member

FS 20.5lb Pro-Mance 29er now for sale

I broke a couple ribs over the weekend while shredding a local trail, I can't get myself to go slow on this thing. It's enough that my wife convinced me to sell this and try out gravel. I'll be out of commission for a month or two anyways so for those who are interested, it is up for sale--for less than the sum of the parts. I don't mean to advertise here, but there are several thread subscribers who may appreciate the heads up. I'm sorry to see it go, but I think it's best for my family and me.

20.5lb FS All-Carbon Scott Spark-geo Chiner, Fox Factory build - MTBR Classifieds

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I broke a couple ribs over the weekend while shredding a local trail, I can't get myself to go slow on this thing. It's enough that my wife convinced me to sell this and try out gravel. I'll be out of commission for a month or two anyways so for those who are interested, it is up for sale--for less than the sum of the parts. I don't mean to advertise here, but there are several thread subscribers who may appreciate the heads up. I'm sorry to see it go, but I think it's best for my family and me.

20.5lb FS All-Carbon Scott Spark-geo Chiner, Fox Factory build - MTBR Classifieds
    Sorry to hear about your injury. You built a great bike, get back in shape, do some core strengh workouts and then hit the same trial and find out what went wrong.

I had many falls when I was beggining with mountain bikes, later I went back to the same places did the turns faster than before and didn't crash. It was just lack of practice.

Don't let your single injury rule out MTB, exercise your core so you are less prone to injuries and get back to riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There is no way I'm going to support someone ripping off frame designs. The cockpit and other things that are pretty much a set standard, sure.

Formerly of Kent

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)

Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    There is no way I'm going to support someone ripping off frame designs. The cockpit and other things that are pretty much a set standard, sure.
    It has similar-ish geometry. And a rear linkage design used by what must be a dozen companies. Many of which came before Scott.

Hardly intellectual property theft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Companies like Scott are actually going to come up with new ideas and bring them to market such as slack new XC bike geometries that handle trail riding much better than traditional XC bikes. Some of the newer companies such as Jamis(650 dragon) and Niner(29er) went out and built off of a completely new idea. They didn't copy the geometry of a bike that the worlds best XC rider rides while undercutting their price point because they didn't have to spend 3 million a year on WC riders, mechanics, design engineers, Fab technicians, and the whole nine yards to develop the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    Companies like Scott are actually going to come up with new ideas and bring them to market such as slack new XC bike geometries that handle trail riding much better than traditional XC bikes. Some of the newer companies such as Jamis(650 dragon) and Niner(29er) went out and built off of a completely new idea. They didn't copy the geometry of a bike that the worlds best XC rider rides while undercutting their price point because they didn't have to spend 3 million a year on WC riders, mechanics, design engineers, Fab technicians, and the whole nine yards to develop the bike.
    Thanks for contributing to this thread, party_wagon

This frame is not a Scott Spark, and it is 20% of the price of a Scott Spark RC frame. Fake R&D and horrible customer service need to stop. I can't even get a Spark where I live--they are always out of stock. One customer from my LBS broke his Spark and hasn't got a replacement for months now! It was also frustrating to learn that Scott outsources some of their R&D... to China.

I like Scott, I like the Spark, I like Nino Schurter, and I hope he isn't doping, but I want good customer service and reasonable prices.

So if the Chinese are willing to offer an alternative frame for well under half of the price (after adding in the shock) and back it up with amazing customer service and warranty, please permit a new business model where the innovation is in the service and not only the product.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If I was copying bikes I would copy the 120/120 fuel ex for endurance racing or a good do it all XC bike, and XS,S,M Spark/Scale 700 for women and child xc which are all discontinued. If your going to move into the flagship line of the companies they will quit investing as much into new technologies and keep changing standards every 2 years.

mtbr member
    Just noticed that this frame is still being raced at the world class level. Here's Jofre Culell Etape racing it to 2nd place in the U23 Men's XCO race at La Bresse yesterday.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/photo-...-cup-2018.html

21lb FS 29er build (Pro-Mance M9007)-p6pb16275816.jpg

Notice the "prototype" wheels

This is in addition to the rebranded Megamo builds raced at the Cape Epic earlier.

mtbr member
    sick pic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    sick pic
    Btw just wanted to indicate I sold my frame to a guy who built up a dream rig of his own Thanks to all who reached out to me.

Meanwhile I've adventured into gravel, but found it wasn't my true love.

Sales have apparently been very strong on this frame, I got thank you notes from several agents and quite a few PMs.

I'm once again going to be pushing the limits of weight and performance on a 29er hardtail using the TanTan FM-299B frame, a unique frame which fits 29+ tires with very Scale-esque geometry (except 15mm longer chainstays). Build story to come in the next few months in the plus bike and weight weenies forums, both a 27.5+ winter build and a 29er XC race build. I have my eye on 17.0 pounds.

Never trust a fart
    Can't wait to see the new ride.

mtbr member
    Pinkbike just featured this frame on their homepage. They even gave Pro-Mance a compliment

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/5-surp...show-2018.html

The fact that media will recognize products beyond those sponsored by North American marketing tycoons, in my mind, indicates huge progression within the industry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    After a few months of paralysis of analysis, I pulled the trigger on the superlight promace frame. Gonna mount my lefty to it and see what happens. 40 day lead time...
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    After a few months of paralysis of analysis, I pulled the trigger on the superlight promace frame. Gonna mount my lefty to it and see what happens. 40 day lead time...
    Will be interesting to see how your lefty works with the frame. Is it the double-crown version or the Ocho?

Post up when you finish the build!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Double crown. Ocho would be nice tho.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Double crown. Ocho would be nice tho.
    Uh, nice for the ride. Not so nice for the wallet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Uh, nice for the ride. Not so nice for the wallet.
    Indeed. Are they even selling them individually yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast