203mm on a RIP9- Mtbr.com

Thread: 203mm on a RIP9

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

203mm on a RIP9

I'm looking to experiment with more braking power. Does anybody here run 203s on front and rear. I called Fox and they said there were no issues with running 203mm on the fork. I haven't called Niner yet to see if a 203mm will even fit in the rear.

I weigh 220 without gear and I'm currently running 185mm front and rear. I thought I had decent braking until the day we rode the Ribbon Trail in Grand Junction. Holy cow! The upper part of that trail made it pretty clear that the 185s are not enough to stop the big hoops and the bigger pilot. The brakes were screaming and boiling. We had to stop every half mile or so to let the brakes cool off. It was nuts.

Anyway, I want to try the 203s and was curious if anyone had tried this big a rotor on a RIP9.

Cheers!

Underskilled
    On my '07 RIP I had 220 on front and 203 on back with no clearance issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    if you have rear braking problems with a 185mm disc you should look into your braking technique.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sounds like Avid brakes to me...

Professional Crastinator
    Mechanicals don't boil, and they can stop a 400# tandem. Time to "upgrade", hoss.

-F

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm actually running Shimano XTs(775s) with the stock pads. I don't have any issues with braking on my regular trails. I have issues when the speeds get up to 25 -30 MPH.

Has anyone ridden The Ribbon Trail before? If you have you should know what I'm talking about. The upper part of the trail has two huge flat pieces of granite at about a 15% downhill grade. You build up speed so fast its scary. I had to start making huge turns to scrub speed due to the brakes fading so quickly.

Anyway, I'm also thinking about changing out pads before I switch to the 203s. The XT have one Resin and Semi Metallic. Any recommendations on replacement pads. My local shop says I should stick with Shimano pads. I've never tried aftermarket pads on any of my previous brakes. I've only owned Hayes and Avids brakes prior to the Shimanos.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant

220s!!!! Wow!!

Who makes rotors that big?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant

220s!!!! Wow!!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Im about the same weight and I too have found the shimno brakes a bit lacking on my rip
    I now run 203 in front and 180 in the back and all is well, in fact the 180 might be overkill
    I think the bigger hoops require more stopping power. on my 26" bikes the 180/ 160 rotors work fine.
    FYI
    I recently rented a DH bike at a park and they all had 203/180 combos, avid codes and they were amazingly good, first time almost threw me over the bars with 1 finger

banned
    Sep 2007
    I run Formula 180mms with their Mega's and sintered pads. Plenty good for everything steep here in California on my RIP. Get a brake that you can run sintered metallic pads with and stop smoking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i have hope 203 saws on my 2009 rip9 and 185 saws up back. First trip down (1000m vertical in about 20 minutes) I was disappointed - it was my 1'st real downhill on a 29er and they boiled....very unsatisfactory, not to say, ass-puckering.

My 2005 XT's on my 26er prophet always perfromed flawlessly (same dimensions).

Anyway, I rebled the hope brakes and they seem much better. But I have yet to redo that downhill.....

If you havent bled yours in a while, try that and ensure there is zero air in the system - roll the bladder on to avoid any trapped air.
    R.I.P 26ers....

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by palmermtb
    220s!!!! Wow!!

I've seen Hope M4s with a 220 on it. It was huuuuuge.

Underskilled
    my 220 is a Hope, they and formula also do a 225 as well i think

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    Pad-Wise on your XT's.... I've heard from some of my local mechanics/DH'ers that they use one resin and one semi-metalic per caliper. Seems like a pretty good idea.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

Underskilled
    Oh forgot to add, shimano standard pads are shite, superstar seemed the best OEM I could find. HUGE difference

Members who have read this thread: 0