2021 Epic Evo or 2020 Top Fuel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

2021 Epic Evo or 2020 Top Fuel

Which of these two bikes - the 2021 Epic Evo or the 2020 Top Fuel - would you pick, assuming GX level? Why?

Note that the bike would be complemented by a longer travel option, either the Spec Enduro or Trek Slash, similar build spec.

For context, I currently ride the 2019 Fuel Ex 8 with 140mm Pike, and love it, but want to move to a two bike solution for Arizona riding.

mtbr member
    How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

2021 Epic Evo or 2020 Top Fuel

Iím on a 2020 Trek Top fuel in Sedona at the moment. Itís fantastic out here. Iíve hit all of the Hs in the last few days. I would say itís super fun out here with appropriate brakes and tires. Knock block is a non issue on any of the switchbacks or tech moves.

My bike is much lighter than any of the trim levels that Trek offers since it was built off a top fuel C frame. In XC race mode, itís 23.0 pounds, in Sedona party mode itís mid 24s.

Check your bolt torque from the factory on all bikes, sadly.

If carrying two bottles in the frame is important, you might go with the epic evo.

I canít compare these two bikes for you though. I canít even find accurate weights on the evo frame with shock since the review has a misprint in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    How tall are you?
    6í height, with a longer reach

mtbr member
    I asked bc Spec needs an XXL...but youíre prolly good on XL.

Canít say anything about the Spec as I havenít even seen one irl, but the TopFuel is super fun and capable. And I had no problem going FAST on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Iím on a 2020 Trek Top fuel in Sedona at the moment. Itís fantastic out here. Iíve hit all of the Hs in the last few days. I would say itís super fun out here with appropriate brakes and tires. Knock block is a non issue on any of the switchbacks or tech moves.

My bike is much lighter than any of the trim levels that Trek offers since it was built off a top fuel C frame. In XC race mode, itís 23.0 pounds, in Sedona party mode itís mid 24s.

Check your bolt torque from the factory on all bikes, sadly.

If carrying two bottles in the frame is important, you might go with the epic evo.

I canít compare these two bikes for you though. I canít even find accurate weights on the evo frame with shock since the review has a misprint in it.

Great response, thank you. Sedona is beautiful, we were just there yesterday. Brought the kids, tho, bike next time.

Geometry wise they are close. A little slacker on the Epic? A little longer? Two water bottles would benefit us in the heat of the desert. That all sounds promising.

Iím looking for 95% of the Fuel Ex here. I believe that the TF will deliver there based on existing comparisons and similar architecture. Will know more this week, have a 9.9 to play with for a couple weeks.

The question is, does the Epic Evo ride bigger than its numbers. Bigger than an over-forked Epic, Spark, Anthem, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I own a top fuel for a couple months now. Itís a black, 9.8, size large (Iím 5í-11.5Ē, 32 inseam). The geometry is superb for my riding (tight Wisconsin singletrack). Couple items: Iím not really wild about the twistlocójust donít like having that claptrap on my grip areaóIím in the process of changing that into a lever style. The stock saddle and grips are torture devices (why do they do this?), but easily changed.

No clue on the epic, sorry, but it does look sweet and Iíd love to try that SID fork. Epic also comes with threaded BB, altho the press fit on my trek has been no issue at all.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Iím also considering these bikes, coming from a 2018 Fuel EX 9.7. On paper the Epic Evo looks better due to better geometry (for me) and lighter frame. Iím not interested in going steeper HA or slacker SA than my Fuel EX. I want lighter and snappier.

But when you compare specs for the $$ the advantage disappears, due to price premium of the Specialized.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Based on the pricing for the Epic EVO - I be seriously looking at a Revel Ranger for not much more...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Trailboy View Post
    Based on the pricing for the Epic EVO - I be seriously looking at a Revel Ranger for not much more...
    The frame is 6.1 pounds. Ouch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    The frame is 6.1 pounds. Ouch.

Itís probably a great bike, just not for this discussion. TF aluminum is 6.3 lbs for reference.

mtbr member
    Cant go wrong with either bike however as mentioned above I think the Revel Ranger is now the wild card of the bunch. No reviews yet, releasing in about a week or so. The rear suspension I've been told is the best hands down. Not sure if I can swallow not having my LBS sell it though but you can always buy just the frame and build it up nicely with a local shop I imagine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm loving my Top Fuel 9.9. Fast, firm and fun. A really zippy, playful bike. Also not a fan of the twistloc, but easily replaced with the Bontrager dual trigger unit that controls dropper and lockout. And I guess I'm one of the few that loves the saddle. Swapped to Wolftooth Fatpaw grips for a bit of love for my hands and wrists.

I pair mine with a 2020 Fuel EX. I thought they might step on each other's toes, but they don't. Very different feeling bikes. The Fast Fuel and the Smooth Fuel. Ha!

All that said, the EVO looks great, too. I'm a retired racer, and would probably love the manually-actuated fork and shock over the remote. Probably.
    Whining is not a strategy.