2020 Santa Cruz Tallboy R Carbon vs 2020 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

2020 Santa Cruz Tallboy R Carbon vs 2020 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon

Hello everyone, i知 looking into buying a full suspension bike and I have narrowed it down to a Santa Cruz Tallboy R Carbon and a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon. Both of these bikes are in the $4,100-$4,600 range, the Santa Cruz being about 500 dollars cheaper than the Specialized. As you can see, both of these bikes are carbon, which is likely the route I will take. Does anyone have any experience or own either of these bikes? Would anyone recommend one over the other? Is one better with reliability? Is there anything I should know about either of these two bikes? Thanks! Any information is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baltimorebirds2 View Post
    Hello everyone, i知 looking into buying a full suspension bike and I have narrowed it down to a Santa Cruz Tallboy R Carbon and a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon. Both of these bikes are in the $4,100-$4,600 range, the Santa Cruz being about 500 dollars cheaper than the Specialized. As you can see, both of these bikes are carbon, which is likely the route I will take. Does anyone have any experience or own either of these bikes? Would anyone recommend one over the other? Is one better with reliability? Is there anything I should know about either of these two bikes? Thanks! Any information is appreciated!
    Here is a good read for comparing the bikes that you are researching:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...ay%5B%5D=57835

I own the Comp Carbon in size XL. Locally I ride at New Lake Hogan. When I have the time, I like to ride Nevada City, and Auburn. I have also ridden China Camp.

I do have Fox 36 and Fox DPS 2 envy, but I really want to ride my bike a lot with the OEM suspension and see if I can get the most out of it with some tweaking and tuneing.

My set up for the bike is a MRP Ramp Control for the Rhythm 34 Fork. I was not comfortable with the amount of travel I was using prior to hitting drops on the trail at Auburn and I did not want to fiddle with volume spacers. I have the grip dampener set just past the middle as I have progressed to liking the firmer setting on my fork.

I had Fox tune my DPS shock, from LCL, LRL, CML to LCL, LRM, CML. I love the way the shock performs in the flip chip high setting with the shock in trail. The rear wheel does not loop out on the short steep climbs, and the rear wheel does not get caught up on small rocks in the slow rocky technical section on my local trails. Flip chip high is great for climbing.

I really like the way I feel on the bike in the flip chip low setting, it accelerates faster on any down hill section, feels better in the tight switchback turns. But, That rear wheel gets caught up in the slow rocky technical sections, and the rear wheel loops out on the short steep climbs when I have to get out of the saddle resulting in the flat peddles taking chunks out of my calf or some kind of mishap which results in a bit of frustration so I have to put the bike back in the high position. I have locked out the shock in the low setting but the suspension behavior is still the same. I have noticed that I have to ride the bike in the flip chip low position in Nevada City. Auburn I have redden in both Low and High settings (Auburn Basic Loop).

I have case query in with Specialized to see about getting a flip chip that changes the geometry 1/4 from the high position instead of 1/2. I think that would be the perfect setting for the flip chip low and DPS shock in trail.

I love my bike and as my level of skill progresses I notice myself unlocking more potential out of it. I done feel myself growing out of the bike just yet.

mtbr member

Comp Carbon Experience

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...ay%5B%5D=57835

I own the Comp Carbon in size XL. Locally I ride at New Lake Hogan. When I have the time, I like to ride Nevada City, and Auburn. I have also ridden China Camp.

I do have Fox 36 and Fox DPS 2 envy, but I really want to ride my bike a lot with the OEM suspension and see if I can get the most out of it with some tweaking and tuneing.

My set up for the bike is a MRP Ramp Control for the Rhythm 34 Fork. I was not comfortable with the amount of travel I was using prior to hitting drops on the trail at Auburn and I did not want to fiddle with volume spacers. I have the grip dampener set just past the middle as I have progressed to liking the firmer setting on my fork.

I had Fox tune my DPS shock, from LCL, LRL, CML to LCL, LRM, CML. I love the way the shock performs in the flip chip high setting with the shock in trail. The rear wheel does not loop out on the short steep climbs, and the rear wheel does not get caught up on small rocks in the slow rocky technical section on my local trails. Flip chip high is great for climbing.

I really like the way I feel on the bike in the flip chip low setting, it accelerates faster on any down hill section, feels better in the tight switchback turns. But, That rear wheel gets caught up in the slow rocky technical sections, and the rear wheel loops out on the short steep climbs when I have to get out of the saddle resulting in the flat peddles taking chunks out of my calf or some kind of mishap which results in a bit of frustration so I have to put the bike back in the high position. I have locked out the shock in the low setting but the suspension behavior is still the same. I have noticed that I have to ride the bike in the flip chip low position in Nevada City. Auburn I have redden in both Low and High settings (Auburn Basic Loop).

I have case query in with Specialized to see about getting a flip chip that changes the geometry 1/4 from the high position instead of 1/2. I think that would be the perfect setting for the flip chip low and DPS shock in trail.

I love my bike and as my level of skill progresses I notice myself unlocking more potential out of it. I done feel myself growing out of the bike just yet.

mtbr member

Comp Carbon Experience

(I have tried to post the link to Outdoor Gear Labs web page as they have a good comparison page of bikes but something is not allowing me to post the link.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    The best advice I can throw your way is .. demo both bikes and feel um out yourself. Nothing beats that! Perception and opinion varies greatly from individual to individual and where and how they ride makes more of a difference. I own a new Stumpjumper expert 29 and really love the bike although the rear shock could be a bit of a problem for anyone heavier. I'm 220 and find it blows through the travel unless I pump it way up. Thinking of adding a bigger spacer or tuning it appropriately for me and my riding style/trails.

mtbr member
    Just to follow up. I realized that I was not accounting for sag when flipping the chip. In the high setting my sag is at 30% with a psi of 230. I put the bike in the low setting, set sag at 25%(to the best of my knowledge) and set my psi at 250.

I looked out as usual on the first climb that I usually clear in the high setting, shock compression was in the trail position. I then tried the same section with the compression in the firm setting and I looped out again. I then set the shock compression in the open position, the rear tire locked on and I didn稚 loop out. I cleared all climbs the same as if I had the bike in the high setting.

So now I know that my set up in high is 230 psi, sag at 30% and shock compression in the trail mode. Rebound is at 8 clicks from zero or slowest position. And my set up in low is 250 psi, sag set at 25% and shock compression open with the same rebound setting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Another thing to consider is that there are still quite a few leftover stumpjumpers available from specialized. Check with your dealer on availability if you decide on one. I got a leftover 27.5 alloy comp for $750 cheaper than i could get a 20 model for. I have a pretty good relationship with my local dealer though, but you should see a similar discount. There were some 29ers available when I ordered mine as well. The carbon ones had an even larger discount but I preferred the alloy myself. Look at component specs if you do find any 19s that you like, the 20 model year has some differences from what i saw.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Heads up that Competitive Cyclist has the Tallboy R for $3,100 and the S for $3,800. 2019 models, so you may want to confirm that no changes were made for 2020.