2020 Santa Cruz Tallboy 4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

2020 Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

Any details regarding details of release and specifications. I am purchasing a new bike. The new Hightower is not exactly what I was looking for. Currently leaning towards the 2020 Trek fuel EX 9.8, but keen to know if the new Tallboy 4 might be a better option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There's already a thread on that.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/t...1099642-2.html

mtbr member
    65.5 deg HTA and 76 deg STA... Uhhhm, yeah I would say the new Tallboy is a helluva lot better option (if you're an aggressive rider). Official release on Tuesday so... stay tuned. Trek and YT played it "safe" with their geometry and it will cost them sales IMHO. I guess they just don't get it that a longer reach/front center means you can go slacker with the HTA without any drawbacks (especially with the shorter offset forks). To each their own.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    65.5 deg HTA and 76 deg STA... Uhhhm, yeah I would say it would be a helluva lot better option (if you're an aggressive rider). Official release on Tuesday so... stay tuned.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Not quite sure what you meant by better option if your an aggressive rider. Do you mean the new Trek Fuel 9.8 would be a better option than the new Tallboy 4? I was actually hoping the new Tallboy 4 would be 140 F/ 130 R like the new Fuel EX, so I could make a direct comparison between the two bikes. My current 2014 Fuel EX 9.9 is 120 F/120 R and I was after a little bit more suspension along with the updated geometry . The OGHT looked pretty much on the money for me suspension / weight wise, whilst the new Hightower 2 looks like a bit too much bike for my type of riding. The Santa Cruz quality and warranty appears more attractive than the Trek. I have read so many bad reviews re the Trek Bontager dropper post that as a long term investment makes me a bit nervous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Not quite sure what you meant by better option if your an aggressive rider. Do you mean the new Trek Fuel 9.8 would be a better option than the new Tallboy 4?
    No. Don't focus on travel; ride the bikes and see for yourself.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    G Man, I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, where I live in Australia, the opportunity to demo both bikes isn't available.
    I am not what would might be described as an aggressive rider, rather an 56 year old experienced, intermediate xc /trail rider managing worn out hips and knees. Both efficiency and some forgiving attributes are primary considerations. I had my eye on the new SC Hightower, however that is more enduro than I need.

mtbr member
    Gotcha. IMHO then the Revel Rascal is probably the bike you're after - Canfield suspension is flat out best (i've owned every suspension platform out there and the only thing close is Yeti's switch infinity) and will be easy on your hips and knees. Go with shorter cranks too; no longer than 170's, trust me.

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    ... you can go slacker with the HTA without any drawbacks (especially with the shorter offset forks). ..
    Slacker HTA and shorter offset work in the same direction. Both make steering slower and more stable for descending. They both work against nimbleness and climbing.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    ^^Respectfully disagree; Shorter offset fork pulls in the front wheel (versus lengthening with slacker HTA) and quickens the steering input no different than a shorter stem would. The longer offset will make the tire roll side to side faster on axis, because of shorter trail, which gives the perception of quicker steering. So yes, the shorter offset is better for DH stability but it also makes steering more precise including uphill climbing. There's a lot of confusion over this... Once you get to a slack enough HTA (which most consider to be about 66-67 deg), the level of "floppiness" outweighs the benefits of the longer offset for "perceived" quicker steering. That's why the move towards slacker bikes has coincided with the evolution of shorter offsets as they benefit each other.... both up and down.

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Gotcha. IMHO then the Revel Rascal is probably the bike you're after - Canfield suspension is flat out best (i've owned every suspension platform out there and the only thing close is Yeti's switch infinity) and will be easy on your hips and knees. Go with shorter cranks too; no longer than 170's, trust me.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    The Revel brand is not available in Australia. I have supported my LBS for over 20 years and they have returned that loyalty with quality custom service and competitive pricing. They predominantly sell both the Trek and Santa Cruz brands and as such, my options are primarily limited to these two brands. I am not in a position to turn bikes over regularly and hence view my purchases as somewhat long term (4-5 years) investment. This is one of the reasons I am looking at Santa Cruz after being on the Trek Fuel 9.9 for the last 4 years.

mtbr member
    ^^So... it's great and all that you support your LBS but they won't let you demo their bikes??? I'm confused.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    ^^So... it's great and all that you support your LBS but they won't let you demo their bikes??? I'm confused.
    Demo is only available when the Trek or Santa Cruz trailer comes to town. This might only be once a year. Often not all models and sizes are available. I plan to purchase in the next few months and a demo trailer may not be around for another 6-9 months. The size of the market in Australia is obviously a lot less than the US or Europe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No. Don't focus on travel; ride the bikes and see for yourself.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    76 STA isn't for everyone- found it terrible.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son