2020 Orbea Rallon vs 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    29

    2020 Orbea Rallon vs 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower

    Anyone been on both?

    Iíve been riding a 2020 Bronson (w/ 2.6Ē tires) and a 2020 Hightower and have ultimately decided the Hightower is more for me. To me the Hightower feels more energetic and precise without loosing stability on chunky, rooty trails. I liked the Bronson more on buff or smoother bike park like trails. I felt both climb well, with an edge towards the Hightower.

    I havenít seen much on the longer 2020 Rallon. Reviews of the 2019 suggest it climbs great and is energetic. Which makes me wonder how the long travel Rallon compares to the mid travel Hightower?

    Are these 2 very different bikes or 2 similar bikes?

  2. #2
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,689
    Quote Originally Posted by kzlucas View Post
    Anyone been on both?

    Iíve been riding a 2020 Bronson (w/ 2.6Ē tires) and a 2020 Hightower and have ultimately decided the Hightower is more for me. To me the Hightower feels more energetic and precise without loosing stability on chunky, rooty trails. I liked the Bronson more on buff or smoother bike park like trails. I felt both climb well, with an edge towards the Hightower.

    I havenít seen much on the longer 2020 Rallon. Reviews of the 2019 suggest it climbs great and is energetic. Which makes me wonder how the long travel Rallon compares to the mid travel Hightower?

    Are these 2 very different bikes or 2 similar bikes?
    The 2019 Rallon was closer to the Hightower. With the change to suspension linkage and an extra 10mm of travel on either end the Rallon is closer to a Megatower. I would say the Occam and Hightower are more similar bikes.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    29

    2020 Orbea Rallon vs 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower

    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    The 2019 Rallon was closer to the Hightower. With the change to suspension linkage and an extra 10mm of travel on either end the Rallon is closer to a Megatower. I would say the Occam and Hightower are more similar bikes.
    Looking at travel specs I could easily see that comparison. Just wondering from actual rider feel (ignoring specs) how they compare. Have you had the opportunity to ride both those bikes? Iíve really enjoyed riding the Hightower but am looking for an excuse to get something more unique (at least to the bikes around my region) than the Santa Cruz bikes I see every ride. Although the Occam is appealing I have ruled it out for my next bike. Wish Orbea had some demos in Spokane, WA I could ride.

  4. #4
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,689
    I have not spent any time on the HighTower. I do have a 2019 Rallon that is well into a second season of use. I have put a hard 3000km on it and have absolutely nothing to the frame. All the bearing are still as good as new. The Rallon has been a great bike for me.


    I think both are great bikes that will excel for years at their intended purpose. Santa Cruz is a popular brand for a very good reason, they make really good bikes. The bearing in the frames need a bit of love, but that is really easy to do and I believe you get free replacement bearings for life.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I have not spent any time on the HighTower. I do have a 2019 Rallon that is well into a second season of use. I have put a hard 3000km on it and have absolutely nothing to the frame. All the bearing are still as good as new. The Rallon has been a great bike for me.


    I think both are great bikes that will excel for years at their intended purpose. Santa Cruz is a popular brand for a very good reason, they make really good bikes. The bearing in the frames need a bit of love, but that is really easy to do and I believe you get free replacement bearings for life.
    Thanks for you input. Good to hear you have been happy with your Rallon. Should be better deals to be found on a 2019 now too. Something I will consider...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9

    Yup

    I own a 2018 Rallon and Love it. AND I have one good day demoing the Hightower on my local Santa Cruz trails...and...

    I prefer my Rallon but only because it fits me better and has a bit more travel... And I think it's a tad lighter and definitely has a livelier ride quality..and way cooler paint and well... there's something about it I can't describe.

    It's a tough comparo because of the silly carbon wheels and the long reach that the Hightower had/has. Trying to take those two out of my equation/experience...

    The HT beats the Rallon:
    The HT is an amazing climber and beats the Rallon under power when there are any bumps int he path. The Rallon's anti-squat number is a bunch higher and pedals and sprints fantastically but when there are bumps it gets hung up a bit. The HT does not get hung up and just absorbs the bumps without it being mushy whatsoever. The HT is truly amazing that way.

    ?
    Overall...I might choose the HT if it was a 150 rear travel bike or at least had a slicker paint option..(psst: SC, offer it in Black duh)

    But the Rallon does Everything I want to do. While 140 of the HT might be a bit limiting, or less comfy... And for whatever other reason the HT just didn't make me want it.

    EDIT:
    Iím starting to feel that the 450 reach of the HT might be the reason I didnít totally get along with it. I own a 425 reach bike, a 430, and a 440. I have the most fun on the 430 (Rallon). They are all set up similarly with 160 forks and rear travel goes from 140 on the 425 bike to 160 on the 440 bike. Reach of 450 is a big jump.
    Maybe it just needs a 160 fork...?



    Quote Originally Posted by kzlucas View Post
    Anyone been on both?

    Iíve been riding a 2020 Bronson (w/ 2.6Ē tires) and a 2020 Hightower and have ultimately decided the Hightower is more for me. To me the Hightower feels more energetic and precise without loosing stability on chunky, rooty trails. I liked the Bronson more on buff or smoother bike park like trails. I felt both climb well, with an edge towards the Hightower.

    I havenít seen much on the longer 2020 Rallon. Reviews of the 2019 suggest it climbs great and is energetic. Which makes me wonder how the long travel Rallon compares to the mid travel Hightower?

    Are these 2 very different bikes or 2 similar bikes?
    Last edited by ferd; 1 Week Ago at 09:28 PM. Reason: Another thought to add

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    I own a 2018 Rallon and Love it. AND I have one good day demoing the Hightower on my local Santa Cruz trails...and...

    I prefer my Rallon but only because it fits me better and has a bit more travel... And I think it's a tad lighter and definitely has a livelier ride quality..and way cooler paint and well... there's something about it I can't describe.

    It's a tough comparo because of the silly carbon wheels and the long reach that the Hightower had/has. Trying to take those two out of my equation/experience...

    The HT beats the Rallon:
    The HT is an amazing climber and beats the Rallon under power when there are any bumps int he path. The Rallon's anti-squat number is a bunch higher and pedals and sprints fantastically but when there are bumps it gets hung up a bit. The HT does not get hung up and just absorbs the bumps without it being mushy whatsoever. The HT is truly amazing that way.

    ?
    Overall...I might choose the HT if it was a 150 rear travel bike or at least had a slicker paint option..(psst: SC, offer it in Black duh)

    But the Rallon does Everything I want to do. While 140 of the HT might be a bit limiting, or less comfy... And for whatever other reason the HT just didn't make me want it.

    EDIT:
    Iím starting to feel that the 450 reach of the HT might be the reason I didnít totally get along with it. I own a 425 reach bike, a 430, and a 440. I have the most fun on the 430 (Rallon). They are all set up similarly with 160 forks and rear travel goes from 140 on the 425 bike to 160 on the 440 bike. Reach of 450 is a big jump.
    Maybe it just needs a 160 fork...?
    Thanks the comparison. Appreciate the info. To be complete are you running a coil or air suspension? Will you be swapping out to the 2020 linkage and longer fork or do you think this would change what you like about the bike currently too much?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 11:35 PM
  2. 2020 Hightower 2 vs 2020 Tallboy 4
    By Doug in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 06:51 PM
  3. FS 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower XXL
    By TheNatureBoy in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2019, 05:42 PM
  4. 2018 Santa Cruz Hightower or Hightower LT
    By 5k bike 50cent legs in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-14-2017, 10:27 PM
  5. santa Cruz Bronson or Santa Cruz Hightower 29???
    By Juan Flores in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-08-2016, 02:10 PM

Members who have read this thread: 127

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.