2020 Motobecane FantomDS X4 thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

2020 Motobecane FantomDS X4 thoughts?

The 2020 Motobecane seems like a pretty sweet bike. The matte black actually looks really nice too, unlike most of the others at this price point. Is this a decent bike for the price? Doesn't seem like there would be anything I'd need to swap out to get started, but eventually I'd probably convert it to tubeless, put in an air shock, and convert to a single ring chainset.

Any others I should consider in this price range? People always tell me to look at the used market, but I need an XL and I never see people posting those for sale. Thanks

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 2729DS Disc brakes, Tubeless Compatible Rims
    Last edited by elektrobank; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:51 AM.

Rollin 29s
    They are decent bikes for the price. I owned a Fly Ti 29er (admittedly a much higher end bike than what you are looking at) and the value for the money was very good.

Friends who have owned them have been happy.

Two things: You are getting very old geometry and suspension systems with these bikes, and you have to do a decent part of the assembly of the bikes. If you are a DIY person, this wonít be a problem. The company in my experience is responsive to questions and issues.

As a starter bike, itís pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Short-Change-Hero
    Any particular reason for going with a full suspension? If this is you just getting into (or getting BACK into) mtbing then I would suggest staying away from a FS like this unless necessary. The allure of the FS is nice when comes in at a low price point but really you aren't getting much for that price. You would be better off either saving a bit more money and going with something higher end or getting a hardtail.

That is assuming that you are planning to progress with the sport and this is not meant to be just a bike path, ride around the neighborhood with the kids, take with you camping to run around the campground type bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Any particular reason for going with a full suspension? If this is you just getting into (or getting BACK into) mtbing then I would suggest staying away from a FS like this unless necessary. The allure of the FS is nice when comes in at a low price point but really you aren't getting much for that price. You would be better off either saving a bit more money and going with something higher end or getting a hardtail.

That is assuming that you are planning to progress with the sport and this is not meant to be just a bike path, ride around the neighborhood with the kids, take with you camping to run around the campground type bike.
    I will definitely be taking this on trails. I'm not new to mountain biking, but when I moved, I didn't bring any of my bikes with me. I live in Miami now and we don't have mountains, but there are plenty of manmade trail parks here which aren't amazing, but still a lot of fun.

I already have a 27.5 hardtail which is fairly entry level, but keeps up pretty well. When we're up against very rocky terrain or hills with roots it really struggles at times. I don't think mine is really meant to handle the trails I'm taking it on, and I don't really see anyone else riding hardtails there either. I break it in some way on about 1/4 of the rides I take it on too, but I'm able to do the repairs myself so it's not been too bad.

I want to get something a step up and also want to get a 29er, so I figure I should go full suspension as well. I understand buying a really cheap full suspension, like a walmart bike, probably isn't going to be better than just buying a better hard tail, which is why I was wondering if this model is good enough to start with, or if it's going to be pretty week compared against a similarly priced hardtail?

I don't want to spend too much because the riding here isn't really that great, and the conditions really put a lot of wear on a bike. We ride though so much mud, rain, beach sand, coral, ect. And I have to store my bike outside. My 9 mo old hardtail looks more beat up than many bikes I've owned for more than 10 years in the past.

Short-Change-Hero
    So first question... what is your hardtail? Give us model, spec, year, etc. so we can better understand your comparison.

To bluntly answer your question... nah that FS ain't going to give much more than what you already got unless you are riding something really old or real cheap, like $300 walmart special HT.

Second question... when you say "When we're up against very rocky terrain or hills with roots it struggles at times." What does this exactly mean? Do you lose traction? Does the bike bounce all over? Does it struggle to make the climb (like wrong geometry)? What?

To add on to the above, the setup of that FS is really REALLY heavy stuff with low level components that aren't going to get you much in the realm of traction, forgiveness in trail conditions, etc. The single pivot design is quite old, though still employed well by companies like Orange but really it is one of those ones that is getting long in the tooth, with regards to modern standards. On top of that you really are looking at something that is utilizing geometry, components and other standards from about 5yrs+ ago.

This isn't to say though that it WOULDN'T get you out there more or be perfect for you! That is only something that you can make the call on. And really I look at a bike purchase as an investment. Last bike I had, was my main trail rig that I put over 1k miles on a season and had for almost 6yrs. Had this year not been my 40th I would have just kept the bike and upgraded components as needed. It was a good bike but I had a good excuse (in my mind) to purchase something new. My new bike will be around for a VERY long time, or at least until it breaks (or I do).

Needless to say, if it gets you out more and riding and you enjoy it.. Well then it is a worthwhile investment.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    So first question... what is your hardtail? Give us model, spec, year, etc. so we can better understand your comparison.

To bluntly answer your question... nah that FS ain't going to give much more than what you already got unless you are riding something really old or real cheap, like $300 walmart special HT.

Second question... when you say "When we're up against very rocky terrain or hills with roots it struggles at times." What does this exactly mean? Do you lose traction? Does the bike bounce all over? Does it struggle to make the climb (like wrong geometry)? What?

To add on to the above, the setup of that FS is really REALLY heavy stuff with low level components that aren't going to get you much in the realm of traction, forgiveness in trail conditions, etc. The single pivot design is quite old, though still employed well by companies like Orange but really it is one of those ones that is getting long in the tooth, with regards to modern standards. On top of that you really are looking at something that is utilizing geometry, components and other standards from about 5yrs+ ago.

This isn't to say though that it WOULDN'T get you out there more or be perfect for you! That is only something that you can make the call on. And really I look at a bike purchase as an investment. Last bike I had, was my main trail rig that I put over 1k miles on a season and had for almost 6yrs. Had this year not been my 40th I would have just kept the bike and upgraded components as needed. It was a good bike but I had a good excuse (in my mind) to purchase something new. My new bike will be around for a VERY long time, or at least until it breaks (or I do).

Needless to say, if it gets you out more and riding and you enjoy it.. Well then it is a worthwhile investment.
    I got a GT Aggressor from Dicks. My intention when I bought it was just to use it as a casual bike to ride around the beach and city. It's actually a surprisingly good bike for the price and purpose. I wanted something cheap because bikes get stolen and destroyed by the elements here very easily, I already lost 2, and I don't ride that much anyway. I didn't really plan to take it on trails when I bought it, but eventually decided to start.

The GT has been holding up surprisingly well. But I slip out climbing all the time, which is mostly due to the quality of the tires. When riding very rough terrain it is obviously very jarring and harder to control and pedal through. When taking jumps or big dips I've broken my seat, bent tires, and banged up components. A lot to that has to do with the lower end components, which I was hoping the Motobecane bike would be an upgrade over and that a rear shock might help curb some of the abuse I put it through. The components on the GT need frequent tuning every time I take a rough ride. I do that myself, but it's still annoying I have to tune this bike up or fix a component practically every time I ride a trail. I also miss riding a 29er. I'm pretty tall and do feel like it makes a difference for me.

So I wanted to get a second bike for trails that is an upgrade from this and just use this one for street riding. Is the Motobecane going to be a significant upgrade over my ride. Will I get a smoother ride? Better control? More durable and reliable components? Or will it only be marginal? I don't really want to spend more than $1000 because of the reasons I mentioned and I only go on about 2-3 rides a month on actual mountain bike trails. Are there any other options for under $1k that would give me a better ride?

Thanks!

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok that was the type of answers I was looking for.

Well... to be blunt, no. The "upgrade" to the Motobecane would be marginal at best as the main benefit you would see would be the addition of the rear shock. However, the caveat with that is the fact that you are getting a pretty garbage coil shock that won't do much for you. Because of the type of bike it is and the fact it comes with a coil already, it will either be too soft or too harsh. Only way to remedy that would be to find out the size of the coil and purchase something comparable for your weight range and leverage ratio of the bike. Not an overly simple task but not overtly hard either.

For what it is worth, and the fact that you state you plan to only hit the dirt a couple times a month, I would either spend the money to upgrade your GT to make it a bit more compliant with what you are riding, or invest in a good "trail" orient hardtail. A good FS bike (full kit) will start you out around $2500-$3k. Below that, if new, you are really looking at a crapshoot to the quality of the bike and the components.

If you decide to go the route of updating your GT... well then that will become a situation of what you have budget for. First thing I noticed is that the fork is made by SR Suntour. They are a great, underdog suspension company that has good to great offerings for pretty cheap. They also offer an "Upgrade Program" where if you meet certain criteria you can get one of their other suspension products at a reduced cost. The biggest issue with your GT is that it is a straight steerer tube which somewhat limits the fork options you have.

Outside of that, upgrade your wheels to something a bit more burly and get better tires that will give you the traction you need and are missing. Talk with other riders around you for tire recommendations for your go-to parks/trails and go from there. Then you can work on things like drivetrain, brakes, dropper post, etc.

At least that is how I would approach it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I wouldn't buy that Motobecane. Upgrading a crap bike makes no sense. I would buy used.

I also wouldn't upgrade your GT except for maybe go to as wide a tire as you can fit, maybe 2.3 or 2.5 if it fits.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
    I wouldn't buy that Motobecane. Upgrading a crap bike makes no sense. I would buy used. .
    +1.
    Shop around used. I had a mid level Motobecane hardtail 29er that I bought used a few years ago, pretty well spec'd with some XT components, and it was really surprisingly heavy, I don't remember exactly, but it was over 28 pounds for sure. Expect to be disappointed by the weight on the new fs bike. I would be much happier on a 10 year old stumpjumper hardtail 29er, than a well over 30 pound fs bike with very low end suspension.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.